Garrisons and military posts-could they be better?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 05 Sep 2006, 06:03

i like the randomness of it, but would like this to be modifiable in the editor
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 05 Sep 2006, 06:07

As I said, it MUST be that way. Think of campaign maps I/5 and II/3. They both feature a post. If you'd get Griffins in one game and Angels plus Cavaliers in the next, well.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 05 Sep 2006, 12:13

DaemianLucifer wrote:
PhoenixReborn wrote: It is just that as they are currently used they rarely have upgraded troops etc.
Rarely?How about never?
The reason I said rarely is because there are obviously spaces for more than upgraded units as well. Once the map editor comes out there will be upgraded units in those dwellings dependent on the map maker.

Bonzer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Bonzer » 05 Sep 2006, 13:41

DemianLucifer wrote:
Ive never seen a single creature dwelling of levels 4-7,only millitary outposts.Where did you see a dwelling for them?Tell me the map to check it out.
DL, You are right. I was sure I had seen an Angel dwelling, and therefore assumed the rest were available. Thinking more I can't actually remember what map the dwelling was on (I don't want to play the campaign again just to prove a point - particularly if I am still wrong ;| ).

So I will concede the point. Apologies :ashamed:

However, at the risk of tempting you, I have recruited upgraded Dragons from a dungeon post underground in one of the Dungeon campaign maps. At least, I think I'm sure I have, probably. Possibly.
We will either find a way, or we will make one. Emperor Hannibal.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 05 Sep 2006, 14:23

Bonzer wrote: However, at the risk of tempting you, I have recruited upgraded Dragons from a dungeon post underground in one of the Dungeon campaign maps. At least, I think I'm sure I have, probably. Possibly.
Again,I think your memory plays tricks on you.You are probably referring to c4m5 where you have several outposts and a hill fort,so you can easilly upgrade your dragons there.

And adding normanl dwellings for levels 4-7 shouldnt be hard,so it should be done.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 06 Sep 2006, 00:58

let's hope so, especially since the single creature dwellings allow for just that creature, with no bonuses to the town dwellings

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 06 Sep 2006, 01:24

stefan.urlus wrote:let's hope so, especially since the single creature dwellings allow for just that creature, with no bonuses to the town dwellings
Um,no single dwellings do give you bonus to towns production.Flag a peasant dwelling and see for yourself.Otherwise,theyd be almost useless.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 06 Sep 2006, 01:45

well, that's got me buggered .... so are you saying that if i tag a peasant hut (for example) and take the 22 peasants, then my town will also gain a boost in peasant production? how much of a boost?

how could I not know this?????? 8|

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 06 Sep 2006, 03:05

I think its one creature in every town.It has been transfered from HIII.It is a good solution when you have dwellings that reset population.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 06 Sep 2006, 03:41

WOW .... and i didn't pick this up from HIII either, way to go on making me feel really stupid DL :D

so for my example above about the peasants .... it would be +1 peasant growth per adventure map peasant dwelling per town?

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 06 Sep 2006, 04:51

stefan.urlus wrote:WOW .... and i didn't pick this up from HIII either, way to go on making me feel really stupid DL :D

so for my example above about the peasants .... it would be +1 peasant growth per adventure map peasant dwelling per town?
Yeppers. I am not positive, but i think it does also consider castle. Sometimes it seems to at least, but then again I am just east of crazy :).
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 06 Sep 2006, 05:05

Mytical302 wrote: Yeppers. I am not positive, but i think it does also consider castle. Sometimes it seems to at least, but then again I am just east of crazy :).
I think that the castle gives just 100% bonus to the basic growth.The dwellings are extras.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 06 Sep 2006, 05:14

You are probably right, as I said not possitive :). Changing my signature again, sometimes I am just to flighty :)
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 06 Sep 2006, 06:12

Yeppers. I am not positive, but i think it does also consider castle. Sometimes it seems to at least, but then again I am just east of crazy
and west of sanity .... where does that leave you

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 06 Sep 2006, 06:51

A little place called abnormal :). Of course normalcy is over rated :rofl:. 'Normal' (as defined by society) is BORING. Call me unusual, call me abnormal, heck even call me crazy, better then being 'normal'. :)

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 06 Sep 2006, 07:01

in a lot of ways it is :D

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 06 Sep 2006, 12:47

DaemianLucifer wrote:Imo,there should be three garrison types:
Weak - these would be just walls
Entrenched - walls with a moat
Reinforced - these would have walls,moat and a tower

And millitary outposts just show nivals laziness:Instead of making four different dwellings,they decided to make just one universal.Now if they made outposts as a bonus dwelling,that would be a whole different story.
I agree. This is the approach I would take. Honestly I'd like to see an engineering skill that lets you build garrisons. Basic/advanced/expert engineering giving you the ability to build the above garrison types with special secondary skills such as 1. Improved mechanical firing rate(makes war machines/towers take their turns faster)
2. Hero Golem(places a rather powerful golem-type unit at the start of combat in every garrison castle your hero is not currently in)
3. Land Mines starts the hero off with a free casting of the land mines spell.

sezerp
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby sezerp » 08 Sep 2006, 07:37

Military Posts upgradable ? If you ask me, that would be nice. I had such idea some time ago. Something like real military 'base' (maybe 'fort' is a better word), where you can build some (limited) fortifications and train troops. They would not bring income (or only small one, like 250 GP/day). But the main benefit would be that there you can get unique, 'veteran' troops, like Sharpshooters for example.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”