ice town

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Lady Farquad
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Lady Farquad » 29 Aug 2006, 15:42

I didn't say that He did. I praised Tolkien, "long live Saruman" goes for him "mass producing" the army. :)
Morior, ergo sum

Darkstroem
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkstroem » 29 Aug 2006, 16:25

ThunderTitan wrote: Saruman didn't make Uruk Hai in the book. As i recal they were made some 500 years before and present in both Isengards and Mordors armies.
That's new to me. As far as I know, Saruman makes the Uruk-hai from Mordor uruks and men.

Fingolfin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Fingolfin » 29 Aug 2006, 17:29

[quote="ThunderTitan"][quote="soupnazii"]you are both wrong. orcs are a combination of demon and elves and humans and "other things best not mentioned". they were created by the wizards.[/quote]

No, they're a combo of human convicts and demon blood. No mention of elves whatsoever. At least that how i recal it.

[quote="Lady Farquad"]
Beg your pardon?[/quote]

Orcs were originally elves. Way back before Eldars moved west, some of them were captured by Morgoth, Sauron's boss, then brought to the fortress Utumno. Being tortured with the art of cruelty, a new breed of life form was created, for the mockery of the beauty and grace of elves.

Uruk-hai were Sauron's breeding. However, the Uruk-hai under Saruman's command were a further improvement of Sauron's in that they could travel during the day and were physically stronger, larger and faster.

Lady Farquad
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Lady Farquad » 29 Aug 2006, 21:03

Yes Fingolfin, thankyou.
As a matter of fact it's easy to mix things up a little after watching such a wonderful cinema production. I bet the silmarilion contains the complete reference.
Morior, ergo sum

Genesis
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Genesis » 29 Aug 2006, 22:25

vhilhu wrote:4) Werewolf
Just a sec... why do I see werewolves keep popping up? They're not exactly a great race - for a start, they're human half the time. Plus, they've never been mentioned (as far as I know) in the Heroes V mythos. That, and werewolves are technically undead.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 29 Aug 2006, 22:46

Genesis wrote:
vhilhu wrote:4) Werewolf
Just a sec... why do I see werewolves keep popping up? They're not exactly a great race - for a start, they're human half the time. Plus, they've never been mentioned (as far as I know) in the Heroes V mythos. That, and werewolves are technically undead.
No theyre not.Werevolves are alive.And many here think werevolves are great(personally,I find them just average,just one of the many lychantopes).

Paradox
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Paradox » 29 Aug 2006, 23:33

maybe the werewolves have been cursed so they stay wolfified all the time even not with a full moon.

DL@ I think you are looking for the word therianthropy, lycanthropy is used for man=wolf, therianthropy man=any animal

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 29 Aug 2006, 23:38

Sure,thats what it meant in its original form,but words change meanings.Besides,lychantropy sounds much better.I always use it for any werebeast in my settings.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 30 Aug 2006, 03:48

not keen on the lycan thing

if i want a dose of lycanthropy, i will watch Underworld and Underworld: Revolution
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Lycanthropy

Unread postby Mytical » 30 Aug 2006, 05:23

Sorry the lycanthropy topic may have started after I proposed a town of them in my New towns and asking help thread. I am rather fond of werewolves myself. Now some facts about werewolves.

1) they are not undead, they are infected (mythology here) by a disease that transforms them into either a) a wolf, b) a man-wolf, or c) both depending on which myth you choose to believe. There are also the belief that some wolves turn into men instead of the other way arround.

2) According to popular belief they are the ancient rivals of vampires (sorry came along way before Underworld). The bite of a werewolf was supposed to be able to kill a vampire, and vice versa.

3) Mostly they turn into whatever from above during the full moon, however like vampires there are myths that the older they get the stronger they get. Some have gotten so strong to maintain the form full time and keep their human wits about them.

4) Some believe that some people are able to and choose to activly change into one of the above. By rituals or whatnot they gain superhuman abilities to protect land, their people, ect. They are commonly called Shaman or Medicine Men.

5) A werewolf is not either good nor evil (though some cultures would differ in this). They follow animal instincts when the 'human' is not in control.

Anyhow many who dislike this have proven they are capable observers with keen intelligence. I do disagree with them; however. Any game, novel, ect that has vampires could legitimately have Lycans. After all both (normally) are brought about the same way. They are transformed by a bite, usually against there will. Also there is the rivalry with each other between vampires and lycans. Anyhow, just my 2 cents.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 30 Aug 2006, 05:45

2) According to popular belief they are the ancient rivals of vampires (sorry came along way before Underworld). The bite of a werewolf was supposed to be able to kill a vampire, and vice versa.
no doubt, my point about Underworld is that it is the best way to "watch" the rivalry

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Maybe a little biased :)

Unread postby Mytical » 30 Aug 2006, 06:17

Well I may be a little biased about Lycans. Being American Indian (mostly) I follow SOME of the old ways. My totem animal is the wolf, and am fascinated by anything wolf related. Anyhow, the topic is Ice Town. So here is some suggestions. Should be a little more vulnerable to fire attacks, but not very to most other elemental attacks. Some unique ice based spells would be good. Even though I am a fan of dragons (my signature even suggests this) enough dragons. I don't care if you use a lava powered steamroller (which should never be in an ice town), just for mercy's sake...no more dragons!!!!
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 30 Aug 2006, 06:32

a lava powered steam roller .... nice, wouldn't mind seeing that in action!!!

but yeah, enough dragons already, go for some variety pls!!!

Genesis
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Genesis » 30 Aug 2006, 10:47

Going totally off-topic here, but I thought it was funny anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giZDi0wvxOw

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 30 Aug 2006, 11:19

You know,he have a place for such links already.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 31 Aug 2006, 18:19

Fingolfin wrote: Orcs were originally elves. Way back before Eldars moved west, some of them were captured by Morgoth, Sauron's boss, then brought to the fortress Utumno. Being tortured with the art of cruelty, a new breed of life form was created, for the mockery of the beauty and grace of elves.

Uruk-hai were Sauron's breeding. However, the Uruk-hai under Saruman's command were a further improvement of Sauron's in that they could travel during the day and were physically stronger, larger and faster.
My first comment was about the Ashan orcs, which were made by experimenting on human criminals with demon blood. It´s in the history page.

As for Uruk-hai, they were made by Sauron, and weren´t improved by anyone else. They werent weakned by daylight like normal Orcs from the get-go. As for the Orcs origin Tolkien never stated the elves-from-orcs as the definative one, just as a big posibility.
Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orc_%28Mid ... in_of_Orcs

Oh, and most modern orcs (in games and books) are more like Uruk-hai then Orcs, which had more in common with the goblins, and are even called goblins in hobbit speach, and even by humans and elves on some ocasions.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Fingolfin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Fingolfin » 01 Sep 2006, 13:36

ThunderTitan wrote:
As for Uruk-hai, they were made by Sauron, and weren´t improved by anyone else. They werent weakned by daylight like normal Orcs from the get-go. As for the Orcs origin Tolkien never stated the elves-from-orcs as the definative one, just as a big posibility.
Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orc_%28Mid ... in_of_Orcs

Oh, and most modern orcs (in games and books) are more like Uruk-hai then Orcs, which had more in common with the goblins, and are even called goblins in hobbit speach, and even by humans and elves on some ocasions.
You should read Silmarillion if you haven't. Indeed, JRR Tolkien's early works was very peice-wise. Sometimes you can even find some of his later work contradicting to his earlier work. I'm not a Tolkien expert, but I did read Silmarillion quite a few times to know what's in it.

In Silmarillion it clearly stated that Orcs were Avari (Dark Elves) captured by Morgoth before they had ever heard of the 'gods'. Since they were corrupted elves, they were reincarnated(i.e. immortal). As a matter of fact, even in Lord of the Rings there were some dialogue between orcs suggesting those orcs actually remembered the event took place thousands of years earlier.

Ocs and Uruk-hai hate Sun. Saruman's Uruk-hai were definitely improved version of Sauron's in that Saruman's can function normally during the day while Sauron's can't.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Sep 2006, 23:06

I read it. But Tolkien had a real nack for leaving things up for interpretation, as any goo myth is. While the used to be elves is the most popular it isn't writen in stone.
While Tolkien at some point saw all Orcs as descended from tortured Elves, later comments of his indicate, according to Christopher Tolkien in Morgoth's Ring ("Myths Transformed, text X"), that he began to feel uncomfortable with this theory. At about the same time he removed the references to the Thrall-Ñoldorin, he also began searching for a new origin for the Orcs. The question of Orc origin may have been one of the problems Tolkien tried to solve by completely changing the cosmology and prehistory of Arda. By setting the origin of Men back to almost the same time as the Elves, he possibly allowed for Men to be the origin of Orcs all along. Tolkien died before he could complete this upheaval of the cosmology, however, so the Elf origin was adopted in the published version of The Silmarillion.

But it looks like you were right about the Uruk-hai.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruk-hai
In The Two Towers, Aragorn observes that the fallen Uruk-hai at Amon Hen were not like any breed of Orc he has seen before. Since he had previously served in the Army of Gondor as "Thorongil" and probably encountered the Uruks of Mordor, this strongly implies that those of Isengard are a different breed of Uruk, modified by Saruman.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Heroes V-VI”