Positive and Patient

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
mr.dna
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mr.dna » 28 Aug 2006, 13:33

I haven't have time to play that much (bought the game as soon as it was possible) but are only at dungeon campaign 3, so nival doesn't bother me that much.

One thing I miss though is the customability of the mp/hotseat games as I'm used to from WoG.

sezerp
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby sezerp » 28 Aug 2006, 13:49

I agree HV is enjoyable and a nice game, but it is in quite a few aspects worse than HIII. It is Ok because it is more interesting in other aspects.

But:

My problem with HV is quality control, which, well, sucks. The first patch reverted half of texts in polish version of the game back to english. The second one not only didn't solve it - it broke other things instead. It took a lot of work of polish HV community to produce (unofficial) 'patch for a patch'.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 Aug 2006, 15:46

ThunderTitan wrote: :lolu: As if i go around thinking about how bad H5 is all day. :rolleyes:
Yes,its not like you go anywhere during the day :devious: :devil:

The only difference I saw between those that like and those that dislike the game is that we say why we dislike it(there are few exceptions though)

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 28 Aug 2006, 20:25

DaemianLucifer wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote: :lolu: As if i go around thinking about how bad H5 is all day. :rolleyes:

The only difference I saw between those that like and those that dislike the game is that we say why we dislike it(there are few exceptions though)
Well, I have stated why I think it is a good game. Because I have had a lot of fun playing it. To me the most important thing in a game is the fun factor.

Yes, it needs more spells, artifacts, and some rebalancing but it is a fun game to play.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Aug 2006, 21:53

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote: Yes, it needs more spells, artifacts, and some rebalancing but it is a fun game to play.

GOW
So basicaly you want the same things we do (mostly), but you're enjoying the game anyway. Damn skippy.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 28 Aug 2006, 23:28

DaemianLucifer wrote:

Fine. I like Heroes V because the adventure map spells aren't overpowered like in Heroes II and III. I like it because you can upgrade units unlike in Heroes IV.

I also like how there are more skills to choose from, secondary and tertiary ones.

We'll see what the expansion brings, and we'll all be much happier when they patch in the map editor in patch 1.3.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 29 Aug 2006, 01:47

Only difference seems to be that we positive dudes and gals probably go around in our everyday life a LOT happier than you grumpy old wizards and warriors. Wouldn´t trade places with you for a million bucks.
geez, now if that isn't a broad statement!!! wow, you must be clairvoyant as well, nice ....
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 29 Aug 2006, 18:54

stefan.urlus wrote:
Only difference seems to be that we positive dudes and gals probably go around in our everyday life a LOT happier than you grumpy old wizards and warriors. Wouldn´t trade places with you for a million bucks.
geez, now if that isn't a broad statement!!! wow, you must be clairvoyant as well, nice ....
See, he's being optimistic. Thinks he's got it better than others. (Sort of a self fulfilling prophecy)
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 30 Aug 2006, 04:01

Caradoc wrote:
stefan.urlus wrote:
See, he's being optimistic. Thinks he's got it better than others. (Sort of a self fulfilling prophecy)
he can be as optimistic as he likes, but he may be setting himself up for a fall if some realism doesn't kick in :D , and as for a self fulfilling prophecy ... well only if he has, in fact, got it better than others, otherwise it's simply delusion

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 31 Aug 2006, 04:47

stefan.urlus wrote: he can be as optimistic as he likes, but he may be setting himself up for a fall if some realism doesn't kick in :D , and as for a self fulfilling prophecy ... well only if he has, in fact, got it better than others, otherwise it's simply delusion
But that's how self-fulfilling prophecies work. Optimists experience less stress and that makes them happier, and thus reinforces their optimism. 'Reality' is the same for him and you. He just enjoys it more.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 31 Aug 2006, 05:50

yes, reality is the same for everybody.

it's how this person interprets reality that becomes unsupportable by evidence.

ever hear the term "rose colored glasses"?

it's not that the color of the sky changes, it's that there is willful manipulation of what the actual color is so it is more pleasing.

that does not make the sky "rose colored".

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 31 Aug 2006, 06:33

Pesimist always see the glass half empty, regardless how good they got it, the always have something to complain about. They are sure that that half glass is going to be empty before too long, regardless what happens. Optimist always see the glass half full, regardless how bad they have it, and they tend to think some outside force other then themselves are going to fill that cup, regardless what happens. I prefer to see the glass half full, and that it might get full with a little hard work from myself :).
I have many game related issues with HoMM V, and do feel that they dropped the ball on this one. That doesn't mean they can not recover; however, though a lot seem to have dismissed this possibility entirely. At the risk of getting bombarded here *dons helmet, jumps in a bomb shelter and prepairs for the fallout) what I dont get is this.

If you dislike the game so much, and just can not stand it, why continue to come to a HoMM site and spend endless hours saying such? It must have ignited some 'passion' or after the first few negative posts you would have went and started playing another game you liked much more. Or that would be what I would do at least if I just could not stand the game at all. You are not going to convince the ones who enjoyed it dispite it's flaws to dislike it, and they are not going to convince you to like it. To me it is like :wall: . Anyhow I am hunkered down, and ready for the roasting that will commence after this post. Let the flames fly.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 31 Aug 2006, 12:13

Mytical302 wrote:Pesimist always see the glass half empty, regardless how good they got it, the always have something to complain about. They are sure that that half glass is going to be empty before too long, regardless what happens. Optimist always see the glass half full, regardless how bad they have it, and they tend to think some outside force other then themselves are going to fill that cup, regardless what happens. I prefer to see the glass half full, and that it might get full with a little hard work from myself :).
I have many game related issues with HoMM V, and do feel that they dropped the ball on this one. That doesn't mean they can not recover; however, though a lot seem to have dismissed this possibility entirely. At the risk of getting bombarded here *dons helmet, jumps in a bomb shelter and prepairs for the fallout) what I dont get is this.

If you dislike the game so much, and just can not stand it, why continue to come to a HoMM site and spend endless hours saying such? It must have ignited some 'passion' or after the first few negative posts you would have went and started playing another game you liked much more. Or that would be what I would do at least if I just could not stand the game at all. You are not going to convince the ones who enjoyed it dispite it's flaws to dislike it, and they are not going to convince you to like it. To me it is like :wall: . Anyhow I am hunkered down, and ready for the roasting that will commence after this post. Let the flames fly.
What I dont get is that you say that the glass can be filled with some effort from you,yet you are confident that the game will be improved without you lifting a finger. :| If none of the fans wrote a single letter about the return of the caravans,do you think this feature would be brought back?If us that think that the game turned out bad were simply to leave,then the devs would see just the good side,and think that they made a perfect game,and thered be no improvements.Its voicing your dissatisfaction that makes the devs to make improvements.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 31 Aug 2006, 13:20

Not quite DL. I don't think the game will be made better magically. It is peoples voice that makes the difference. If you think something should change, I see nothing wrong wih letting the Devs know about it. I just don't understand the logic of going to a fan based (not dev based and as of yet we don't know devs even bother looking here) and rehashing it over and over. Again don't confuse this with me saying, all is going to come up rainbows and lollipops, they may yet again drop the ball. Only time will tell.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 31 Aug 2006, 13:26

If you voice your oppinion on a fan base site,all of the people that think the same as you will support you,and then some of them that thought they are alone and didnt want to bother the devs will do so.And if more people say the same thing,the impact of it will be bigger.

Bonzer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Bonzer » 31 Aug 2006, 15:19

(Last 4 posts - 2xDL, 2xMytical)

Very interesting points here for a forum novice like me. I confess I started the thread from the (naieve?) thought that we were just wingeing to each other.

Now that I think about it, if Devs DO read these posts then I'll join in the moaning, albeit with some contructive questioning (like some posts I already have regarding AI descision making).

DL - do we have any evidence that the devs read and act on this and one or two other sites/ forums? Or do we just like to think so?

Um, not having a pop here, I really don't know, and would like to. It could put a whole new perspective on this.

What I will say though is that nobody likes being given a problem, (as in moans), a solution is much preferable, or at least a suggestion.
We will either find a way, or we will make one. Emperor Hannibal.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 31 Aug 2006, 15:19

I can be as stubborn as anybody, and have been known to pound my head against the perverbial wall from time to time myself. You do make a good point DL. I think there maybe some confusion, and no doubt on my part. I never meant to imply that people should not voice there opinons. My post is in regards to those, after being disagreed with, just keep lambasting the same thing over and over and over. In that regard this will be my last post on this matter, so I dont fall into that same trap (though maybe a litte late). So that being said, I appologize if I have come accross as a "shut up and take your medicine" type person. My posts try to be positive, and the last few have not.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 31 Aug 2006, 15:27

Bonzer wrote: DL - do we have any evidence that the devs read and act on this and one or two other sites/ forums? Or do we just like to think so?
FC was known to come here from time to time(you can even see a post started by him stickified up there).But even if he doesnt anymore,emails are always better then forums.And,like I said,my constant posting here is to spread the word to fans to voice their oppinions,not just to tell the devs whats wrong and how to fix it.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 01 Sep 2006, 00:59

they do check them from time to time, i saw Muad'dib here a while back looking thru some of the threads .... so yes they do

constructive is the way to go, i think

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 04 Sep 2006, 18:00

Bonzer wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote: No,nival doesnt deserve us to go easy on them.In fact they deserve even harsher behaviour such as boycoting the game and demanding money back.Especially after the patch 1.2.
So I guess we won't be seeing you around then (umm, VERY much tongue in cheek DL).

Kalah Wrote:
I too remain optimistic that this will be the case for Heroes 5 also; it all depends on whether the Editor is any good. The entire future of H5 hinges on this.
Couldn't agree more. Many of the home produced maps for H3 were outstanding, though (me being me), I had no complaints about those supplied with game either. H5, like H3 will have a year max playtime, unless supported by good fan maps,then it will last much longer.

I would be interested to hear from Nival explaining how the AI makes it's strategy / tactical decisions. We'll see.
Lol we can still play the game since it's too late to return it. But people that get frustrated like this will either forget homm5 or just get the expansion hacked. I mean why not if they are going to release another beta version with missing features then simply move them to the next expansion(simultaneous turns which was the BIGGEST reason I bought this game so I could actually play homm multi for the very first time).

Return to “Heroes V-VI”