Positive and Patient

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Bonzer
Conscript
Conscript

Positive and Patient

Unread postby Bonzer » 25 Aug 2006, 19:08

I was just about to post this (below) as a reply to Telepathic's "Nostalgy" thread, then I thought it would read as if I was having a personal rant back, which I am not. So I've posted this thought as seperate thread.

I think some of us are being too hard on Nival (wait a minute while I dig a hole and duck ;) .

Consider the fact that the great H3 was the third version done by the same developer (after H1 & H2). Then remember that there were two H3 expansions which added more town types, spells, artefacts and creatures.

Yes, it had to be patched as well.

If I recall, the H3 Map Editor only appeared with the first expansion.

If anyone cares to look at the forums posted when H3 first came out they would see just as many complaints, but it is now being seen as wonderful (which I always thought it was).

H5 is only the First incarnation by Nival, not even an expansion yet. Perhaps I am an optimist, but I do look forward to the expansion(s) from Nival with the extras mentioned above, and I wonder what they have in mind for H6!

Ok, helmet on - fire away! Any reinforcements in sight?
We will either find a way, or we will make one. Emperor Hannibal.

Lady Farquad
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Lady Farquad » 25 Aug 2006, 19:13

:applause: I agree.
Patching Eternal!
Morior, ergo sum

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Positive and Patient

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Aug 2006, 19:15

Bonzer wrote: Consider the fact that the great H3 was the third version
Some of us loved H2 too.
Bonzer wrote: If I recall, the H3 Map Editor only appeared with the first expansion.
Wrong. The campaign editor did, the map editor was always there.
Bonzer wrote: If anyone cares to look at the forums posted when H3 first came out they would see just as many complaints, but it is now being seen as wonderful (which I always thought it was).
Then you should all stop complaining about us being too hard on Nival, shouldn't you.
Bonzer wrote: H5 is only the First incarnation by Nival, not even an expansion yet. Perhaps I am an optimist, but I do look forward to the expansion(s) from Nival with the extras mentioned above, and I wonder what they have in mind for H6!
But not the first game they made. They should be better at making patches by now.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Cyrox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Cyrox » 25 Aug 2006, 19:18

Yea, I thought the mentioned poster was a little hard on Nival Interactive as well. I guess this is the world man, there will always be people not pleased with you. It's just impossible to satisfy everyone.

I guess since Nival has promised a map editor and a map generator then we will just wait.

And I think they're hinting at new factions that would be out in future expansions- like the dwarves and orcs.

Maybe they would add some new spells as well(I really hope they will).

For now, let's just give them a break. A post about what we want for the expansion would be more constructive.

Lady Farquad
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Lady Farquad » 25 Aug 2006, 19:31

There are several of those around CH
Morior, ergo sum

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Aug 2006, 19:32

Cyrox wrote: I guess since Nival has promised a map editor and a map generator then we will just wait.
And wait, and wait, and wait..... maybe play some H6 while we're waiting.
Cyrox wrote:A post about what we want for the expansion would be more constructive.
Been there, done that.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Aug 2006, 19:45

So what if this is their first heroes game?Civ was a first game like that for sid mayer,yet it was a smashing success.Diablo was first such game for blizzard,yet it was brilliant.And not to mention other gems such as worms,warcraft,kings bounty,M&M,wlofenshtein......They were all brilliant even in their first incarnations.Better yet,those games didnt have established fan base,and some didnt even have any previous games to leech from.So please,dont tell us to go soft on them.An average game like HV couldve passed without so much criticism if:

1)It didnt have such a firm fanbase simply boiling with ideas and brilliant individuals that are ready to do everything(from beta testing to partial coding) for free.
2)Didnt have 4 previous incarnations to draw ideas from.
3)I came out a finished state,meaning without this many bugs.
4)Patches came out when they wre announced instead of being delayed forever(they have every right todelay the original game for as long as it takes to finish it,but they have no rigt in delaying patches,especially not after rushing the game).

No,nival doesnt deserve us to go easy on them.In fact they deserve even harsher behaviour such as boycoting the game and demanding money back.Especially after the patch 1.2.Though I do aplaude them for the announced changes in 1.3,those wont errase the sloppy work theyve done so far.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 25 Aug 2006, 20:04

Patching Eternal!
lol!

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Aug 2006, 20:05

Bonzer wrote:wait a minute while I dig a hole and duck ;)
*waits a moment, then starts lobbing cabbage*

I agree much of the complaints against Nival (and Ubi) have been either unwarranted inconsiderate; many a complaint have been based upon the argument: "when I buy a game, I expect it to be good", forgetting that it's hard to make a good game these days.

Now, not wanting this to deteriorate into another "I hate the producers and everything they've done and I won't play H5 if it bites me in the ass" thread... I have considered all your points and I agree that H5 does not differ from the other games in the series that they were only deemed good after a while. I too remain optimistic that this will be the case for Heroes 5 also; it all depends on whether the Editor is any good. The entire future of H5 hinges on this.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Aug 2006, 20:38

Kalah wrote:I agree much of the complaints against Nival (and Ubi) have been either unwarranted inconsiderate; many a complaint have been based upon the argument: "when I buy a game, I expect it to be good", forgetting that it's hard to make a good game these days.
Everything is shit, so should all shut up and take it. That's the kind of mentality that makes people not care that they're suntanning 2 inches from a pile of garbage. There's enough of that in RL thak you very much.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 25 Aug 2006, 22:22

There are people here who will complain about HOMM5 no matter what Nival does.

I've had fun playing HOMM5. It is a good game.

Fabrice posted some time back that the editor was scheduled for the 3rd patch. The game came out in what, May? There have been 2 patches so far. A 3rd at the end of August will make the average one patch a month. Yet ther are those who are saying that Nival is providing no support for the game.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Aug 2006, 22:40

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:There are people here who will complain about HOMM5 no matter what Nival does.
And there are people who will praise the game no matter what too. Balance, ey. :devil:

Bonzer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Bonzer » 25 Aug 2006, 23:00

DaemianLucifer wrote: No,nival doesnt deserve us to go easy on them.In fact they deserve even harsher behaviour such as boycoting the game and demanding money back.Especially after the patch 1.2.
So I guess we won't be seeing you around then (umm, VERY much tongue in cheek DL).

Kalah Wrote:
I too remain optimistic that this will be the case for Heroes 5 also; it all depends on whether the Editor is any good. The entire future of H5 hinges on this.
Couldn't agree more. Many of the home produced maps for H3 were outstanding, though (me being me), I had no complaints about those supplied with game either. H5, like H3 will have a year max playtime, unless supported by good fan maps,then it will last much longer.

I would be interested to hear from Nival explaining how the AI makes it's strategy / tactical decisions. We'll see.
We will either find a way, or we will make one. Emperor Hannibal.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 Aug 2006, 09:04

Bonzer wrote: So I guess we won't be seeing you around then (umm, VERY much tongue in cheek DL).
So sory that I have to disappoint you....No,wait...Im not sory.Im actually pleased :devil:

magerette
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby magerette » 26 Aug 2006, 20:55

Mostly I lurk but this negative/positive thing always gets to me.

I started playing Heroes w/HOMM2 and its expansion--and when HOMM3 came out I really missed the things that were replaced and taken out. (Especially the remade wizard town :disagree: ) I had issues with everything that was changed and forgotten in each installment as the series progressed, and I had a very hard time with HOMM4, sooo I was not expecting much of Heroes5-fortunately.

I can see how disappointing it is to see your favorite game turned into a graphics showcase, and be denied the most important aspect of it, the map editor. I have downloaded lots of fan made maps back when The Astral Wizard was around, and a few here--and I still make my own.

So as I was saying, I wasn't expecting much from H5, but overall, I am very glad that it was made, that the franchise wasn't just abandoned, that I can look forward to an expansion and a sequel, etc, etc--because when all is said and done, playing HOMM5 is better than not having a new Heroes game to play at all. And even if this incarnation is not the greatest, we all know its the fans that have brought the breath of life to the series all along, and they will keep this one alive as well.

Angrilmor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Angrilmor » 27 Aug 2006, 06:29

Been playing since KB and H5 it's the most disapointing of the series :(
That said, I had a hard time with H4 and ten minutes ago finished a map downloaded from this place :)
So I will side with magarette and wait for the expansions, the editor, the mods and above all, the fan made maps. :creative: B-)

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 28 Aug 2006, 01:39

and wait and wait?? :D

hmmmm maybe it's time for a seachange, im becoming too cynical, and we are getting an expansion, so it can't be all bad can it??? :D
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

telepatic
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby telepatic » 28 Aug 2006, 09:39

yea...well,I hope all bad things r going to be fixed in future patches... :D

Braxen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Braxen » 28 Aug 2006, 12:06

ThunderTitan wrote:
Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:There are people here who will complain about HOMM5 no matter what Nival does.
And there are people who will praise the game no matter what too. Balance, ey. :devil:
Only difference seems to be that we positive dudes and gals probably go around in our everyday life a LOT happier than you grumpy old wizards and warriors. Wouldn´t trade places with you for a million bucks.

:)

(btw, I really enjoy Homm5 although it´s not perfect, but hey, what is?, that´s why I don´t see any major point in getting all cranky)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Aug 2006, 12:53

Braxen wrote: Only difference seems to be that we positive dudes and gals probably go around in our everyday life a LOT happier than you grumpy old wizards and warriors. Wouldn´t trade places with you for a million bucks.
:lolu: As if i go around thinking about how bad H5 is all day. :rolleyes:

You optimists have some weird ideeas about life, i'll tell you that.

Oh, and btw:

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell

Optimist - "Opti" meaning "eye", and "mist" meaning fogged up, you understand. - Anonymous

Return to “Heroes V-VI”