Why do Zombies have Enraged?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Why do Zombies have Enraged?

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 15 Aug 2006, 05:54

It just doesn't make any sense logically speaking. Same thing would apply to the mechanical gargoyles.

If the purpose is to discourage players from killing the slow tank stacks last why not spice up the abilities a little bit. Instead nival decided to take the lazy approach.

If it were up to myself I would definitely change the skills up to something more interesting.

Example 1 -
Footmen/Squires - Replace Enranged with Defiance. For every friendly stack that dies the unit with defiance gains +2 defense. It would be a unique and fit havens defensive style combat.

Example 2 -
Zombie/Plague Zombie - Replace Enraged with Might of the Dead. For every 10hp worth of undead units that die during combat the stack with Might of the Dead gains hp worth of zombies(divided among all the zombie stacks on the screen). So an attack of 170 dmg on say your liches would add one 17hp zombie to your zombie stack. This would fit the raise undead theme for necropolis.

Example 3 -
Gargoyle/Obsidian Gargoyle - Replace Enranged with Spiritual Strength. For every friendly stack that dies the stack with Spiritual Strength gains +1 initiative. Not particularly fitting with the academy theme this would work because it would improve the gargoyle in all counts on what it needs should they start focusing on your other stacks. More dmg and more range blocking nuisance tactics.

Honestly, I'm not really sure why enranged was even put in the game. My guess earlier is the best reason why but it just seems if that was the whole reason it was done in a very lackluster and disappointing manner. What do you guys have to say about the enranged ability in general?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Why do Zombies have Enraged?

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Aug 2006, 06:54

MrSteamTank wrote:Why do Zombies have Enraged?
Because the races need balance.Imo,its very dumb.If it gave +1 on initiative it would be way better.Why does every town need to have an enraged unit is beyond me.Same goes for liches death cloud affecting mechanics,and vampires(thak god fixed)undead draining.

I like your ideas,except for the gargs.The wizard could have something better,like for every 75 golems or 40 gargs or 10 djinni or 1 rakshasa that die the hero gets +1 mana(because those creatures are all magically infused/summoned),even if it goes above his maximum.Squires could get + to defense and to percent for their shield ability for every unit that dies.Demos could get + to their morale for every enemy that dies.Minotaurs + to initiative for every friendly that dies.Zombies could be healed for every dead creature.Treants could get get + to their attack for every dead ally.

But it should be based on dead creatures,not dead stacks.Imo,every ability that works on entire stack(blind,shield bash,enraged,etc)should be modified.Same goes for spells.Funny how HIII had limit on hp for spells like hypnotize and frenzy,yet not on clone,while HIV set the limit on clone,but removed it from the previous two.Now HV removed all of the limits,which is bad.Very bad.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 15 Aug 2006, 07:15

does the wizard really need anymore mana??

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Aug 2006, 08:50

Probably not,but it does make sense for him to feed on his lost summons.What else could you give to wizard faction?Morale doesnt seem right,and enraged for a mechanical thing is not too good.Giving it to djinni or rakshasa would be too powerfull,and giving mana to mages would be especially to powerfull.Im trying to suggest something thats balanced,useful and logical at the same time,unlike nivals solution which is usually completely illogical.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 15 Aug 2006, 09:09

I don't disagree, and it is logical, the only thing it lacks is usefulness
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

sylvanllewelyn
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby sylvanllewelyn » 15 Aug 2006, 13:51

I don't like "tank" units very much, but I really like squires:

- they become quite vicious if you leave them alone until the end, with high might bonuses from the hero, enraged, guarded by retaliation strike.
- high numbers, defense and large shield means can't whittle them down with magic or missile
- Melee them early, and die horribly to large numbers of marksman.

The other tank units aren't of much use though. I guess gargoyles shield for gremlins, early game.

LordErtz
Demon
Demon

Unread postby LordErtz » 15 Aug 2006, 14:43

You can't give zombie stacks for other stacks losing HP. Otherwise you could keep raising dead and getting more damage to your units and raising zombies. Say you can raise 1000k HP, then you will get 100HP zombies every time you raised the dead and they damaged them. Not balanced.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 15 Aug 2006, 16:24

Gargoyles are guardian "creatures." The enraged ability function suits them. Don't think of their rage as rage but as wrath.

GOW

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 15 Aug 2006, 17:55

Yeah wrath sound neat, watch my squirrley wrath!! eerm gargoyle wrath.... :devious:

Marine OKeefe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Marine OKeefe » 15 Aug 2006, 19:45

Meh. It doesnt seem right at all for undead and mechanicial units to have rage or care for loss of allies life.
"Praised be Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour"
"Semper Fidelis - Always Faithful"

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 16 Aug 2006, 03:40

LordErtz wrote:You can't give zombie stacks for other stacks losing HP. Otherwise you could keep raising dead and getting more damage to your units and raising zombies. Say you can raise 1000k HP, then you will get 100HP zombies every time you raised the dead and they damaged them. Not balanced.
Yeah makes sense in the way people can abuse it for sure. Then make that the only zombies raised this way that stay after battle be equal to to 1/10th of the hp worth of units you lost in the end. So you can't just keep making zombie stacks by raise/killing your army. They only stay after if they are genuine hp losses.

Otherwise it doesn't matter considering zombies themselves are hideously weak for the hp they are worth.

I didn't really think of raise dead abuse when I made that ability. Still you can still balance things if you think it out.

As for gargoyles getting the initiative boost I was simply thinking about them basically tapping into the spiritual energies of their fallen comrades to 'energize' them. This way they would move about faster and in essence do more dmg anyways.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 Aug 2006, 06:56

Duracell gargoyels,lasting 7 times longer than regular gargoyles :devil:

djtc
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Why do Zombies have Enraged?

Unread postby djtc » 16 Aug 2006, 17:59

Agree that enraged is quite useless. Doesn't really mean anything in terms of gameplay.
MrSteamTank wrote:Example 1 -
Footmen/Squires - Replace Enranged with Defiance. For every friendly stack that dies the unit with defiance gains +2 defense. It would be a unique and fit havens defensive style combat.
Sounds nice to me.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 17 Aug 2006, 00:31

The Zombies are enraged because everyone keeps saying what crappy creatures they are.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”