First Time Heroes Player

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
slakinator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

First Time Heroes Player

Unread postby slakinator » 13 Aug 2006, 02:51

Hi, this is my first time playing a Heroes game. I saw H5 released at and thought it looked pretty sweet, as i am a fan of fantasy/strategy games.

I've heard alot of you talkin about the good ol' days of HOMMIII and IV and i was wondering if you would suggest a new time fan to the previous heroes series. Im on Sylvan right now and have been enjoying the game but have been forced to cheat by buggy AI and annoying AI advantages.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 13 Aug 2006, 03:42

Sure,try HIII.Its excelent.And the gameplay is similar to HV,though better imo.Although the graphics might seem a bit out of date,the style is extremely nice.

If you want,you may even try HII.Though it lacks some options,it is probably the best of theseries.

As for HIV,thats a tricky one.It has a very different gameplay.So you either love it for all of the inovations it brought,or hate it for them.But,its worth the risk.

You might consider buying heroes complete,if you can,because it comes with all of the sequels and their expansions.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 13 Aug 2006, 08:16

DaemianLucifer wrote:If you want,you may even try HII.Though it lacks some options,it is probably the best of theseries.
At least it was the one with has the highest quality if one considers when it was released. I find it rather hard to play these days because of lack of wait button.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 13 Aug 2006, 09:29

HOMM 2, 3, and 4 were all great games. The best maps for all of them were made be fans and there are thousands available for download.

Don't give up on HOMM5 though. Have you patched the game up to version 1.2? You gave to apply the first patch and then the second one.

When the editor is released (supposedly around the end of this month) we'll begin to see new maps though quality maps will likely take a while to make as they have to be playtested after they are "complete."

GOW

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 13 Aug 2006, 14:12

I agree. Don't give up on H5 yet. As said before a map editor is coming in the next month or two and then [IMHO] a floodgate of quality maps will open up after that.

I am pretty sure that the AI will at least receive tweaks in the following months too so some if its "stupid / cheat bonuses" won't be nearly as oppressive as they are now.

slakinator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby slakinator » 13 Aug 2006, 19:19

Thanks for the well thought out replies

I have patched to 1.2 but once in a while the AI hero with logistics decides it wants to run back in forth in indecision by a garrison and wastes precious minutes of my life as it uses up its MP one by one 8|

I'm not giving up yet, not really one to bail out of a game after ive spent ove 50 hours on it in 1 week ;|

The complete series sounds like a good idea and i think i will pry open my very tight pockets and shed some cash on it :)

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 13 Aug 2006, 19:33

You can get most of the previous games for a very good price these days in their complete forms with all of the expansions. I myself only bought H4 Complete for 20 dollars a couple of weeks ago..

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 14 Aug 2006, 02:58

HIII I would definately suggest, and HIV as a second, it is great in it's own right, but quite different from III (and V) in a number of ways

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 14 Aug 2006, 03:56

i would suggest for you to try out Heroes 3 at first (the complete version, if you can). Heroes 4 is different, and like other people said you could give it a try but i would suggest playing a bit of number 3 first. you can decide which you prefer on your own, but after playing 4 you would either be unable to put it down or unable to look at it again. play at your own risk. number 2 is also optional. number 1 is a little too old (imo) and just doesnt have the heroes feel to it (imo again)... first thing i would suggest for you to do though is get H3 if you want to look around the series abit.

londerwost
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby londerwost » 20 Aug 2006, 06:07

I loved every HoMM that ever came out, got each one at the time they came out, but HoMM 3 definately stands out as the best. HoMM 4 was fun but elementals were heavily overpowered. I don't recall if it's the same with HoMM 3 (it's been easily 5 years since I've played) but I seem to recall necro rasing skeletons was also a bit overpowered. After rampaging a few peasant stacks, nothing less than a dragon can stop the hord of skeletons!

I really liked the chubby, cartoon graphics of the original HoMM. I distincly remember even then, being amused that I was terrorizing the countryside with a big stack of bubbly purple dragons that I lovingly called the army of Barny.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”