Missing the Map Editor

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 22 Aug 2006, 08:41

well it's nice to know they hope to get it right before release, maybe they have learnt from the original release

although i will add one thing to my pessimism and that is at least they are providing some support to the game
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Continuity
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Continuity » 22 Aug 2006, 13:53

Not much to say except I completely agree with Psychobabble and Caradoc.

Paradox
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Paradox » 22 Aug 2006, 15:28

wont rush it? i dont think they COULD rush it, theres probably only 2 of them coding for a couple hours a week, ocassionally looking at pictures of naked women and going "hahah! boobies! hahaha!" and also being drunk.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 23 Aug 2006, 01:28

now that's even more cynical than i am paradox :D

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 23 Aug 2006, 16:00

Rush it???? :mad: Even if it came out today, it would still be late. I am so fed up with UBI, I will carefully consider before buying anything tied to their brand.

My campaigns take between 18 – 36 months to complete, and it is now unlikely that I will even start another one before next summer. If they had released it with the game as they should have anyway, I’d be a year closer. While I am considering using Equilibris I am not sure many people would still be playing H-IV by the time I was to finish it.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Aug 2006, 16:06

jeff wrote: While I am considering using Equilibris I am not sure many people would still be playing H-IV by the time I was to finish it.
Dont worry,quite a few people will still be playing it.I know I will.Besides,there are still maps for HIII being made even now,so let that be your reasurance.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 23 Aug 2006, 17:59

Last I heard patch 1.3 was scheduled for the end of August. Has that changed?

I'll stick with jolly joker's posts since he isn't filled with venom and hatred for all things Heroes V?

For those of you who have been around for a long time; is this the way it was when Heroes IV came out? Everyone saying, oh my god there's no support, why isn't there multiplayer, 3do has taken a wrong turn away from the purity of HIII etc.?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Aug 2006, 18:27

PhoenixReborn wrote:Last I heard patch 1.3 was scheduled for the end of August. Has that changed?
Unless they have a magic wand,I doubt it will be finished by then.
PhoenixReborn wrote: I'll stick with jolly joker's posts since he isn't filled with venom and hatred for all things Heroes V?
But with blind praise instead.
PhoenixReborn wrote: For those of you who have been around for a long time; is this the way it was when Heroes IV came out? Everyone saying, oh my god there's no support, why isn't there multiplayer, 3do has taken a wrong turn away from the purity of HIII etc.?
Im not sure.I think it was more "OMG!TIS SUX!!" period.I dont think there were lots of because.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 23 Aug 2006, 19:16

DaemianLucifer wrote:
PhoenixReborn wrote:Last I heard patch 1.3 was scheduled for the end of August. Has that changed?
Unless they have a magic wand,I doubt it will be finished by then.
PhoenixReborn wrote: For those of you who have been around for a long time; is this the way it was when Heroes IV came out? Everyone saying, oh my god there's no support, why isn't there multiplayer, 3do has taken a wrong turn away from the purity of HIII etc.?
Im not sure.I think it was more "OMG!TIS SUX!!" period.I dont think there were lots of because.
Well, it is still a week before the end of the month and I am optimistic. :) Pessimism is bad for your health. :)

Yes, HOMM5 is being treated like HOMM4 was by some folks. It was different so "it sucks." Some folks never give anything new a chance. HOMM4 has given me many hours of fun and to me is a good game. HOMM5 is also a good game an will get better with the release of the map editor.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 23 Aug 2006, 19:21

DaemianLucifer wrote:
But with blind praise instead.
Not at all. Jolly Joker gives good reasons for what he says and why he thinks things. That is not blind praise. You give good reasons too, just because you disagree with him does not make his points less valid or "blind praise".

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Aug 2006, 19:27

I wont quote the whole page.

Paradox
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Paradox » 23 Aug 2006, 21:37

JJ is just another "Yes man" of fabrice's. gets acess to all the latst news, patches, beta's, when it comes to ask them all is it ok? "yes sir! its fine! no bugs! the game is awesome! please dont kick me out of the elite group for saying something bad! omg!"

so now you understand his blind adamant love for the game

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Aug 2006, 21:44

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:Pessimism is bad for your health.
Optimism is bad for everyone elses. I prefer the "hope for the best, prepare 4 the worst" aproach.
Grumpy Old Wizard wrote: Yes, HOMM5 is being treated like HOMM4 was by some folks. It was different so "it sucks." Some folks never give anything new a chance.
Because H5 is oh so different. :disagree:

And H4 was unplayable for more then 30 min when it first came out btw.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 23 Aug 2006, 22:17

PhoenixReborn wrote:For those of you who have been around for a long time; is this the way it was when Heroes IV came out? Everyone saying, oh my god there's no support, why isn't there multiplayer, 3do has taken a wrong turn away from the purity of HIII etc.?
It was actually worse back then.

The game was practically unplayable at release, because of massive memory leak (the one in H5 is minor compared), especially on swamp terrain.

Add a non-existant AI that was never fixed and the lack of MP at release.
And the fact, that 3DO stated, that a RMG would never be released due to "complexity" (maybe it should have said incompetence and cost control).

Further, while H2 and H3 were quite similar, HIV introduced a lot of new aspects, which pretty much divided the community. Heroes in combat, non-chaining (creature movement points), new skill system, new magic system, new combat grid, line-of-sight in combat.

Quite a lot of people hated these new things, and would have preffered if 3DO had stayed with the old concept. In their opinion, it didn't feel like Heroes anymore (now, where have I heard that recently?).

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 24 Aug 2006, 00:36

im certainly not a HIV basher, i like that game a lot, even with it's dodgy coding, but i am disappointed with a number of the things ubival have done, ie. delay the release and then it is still buggy as when they do release it, no map editor with the release as initially stated, dodgy second patch, outright deception with the two "new" maps ....

apart from those very valid points, the game itself is enjoyable, but i certainly reserve the right to place criticism where it is due, but people like JJ seem to take severe offence when i say stuff like this, and try to justify it .... don't do that, just fix the mistakes and don't keep making them, and please don't bs the fans again, and i will be more than happy

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 24 Aug 2006, 04:38

It seems we are caught up in several sets of complaints. One is with the design of the game itself, another is with the way it has been delivered, and perhaps another with the relationship between the developer and the players.

The game design is what it is and not likely to change significantly, so either you like or you don't. The delivery has been botched, but once everything is finally in order, that will not be a factor -- unless the job never gets finished and the players wander away. But the relationship is what will hold the franchise together, and Ubi (not Nival) needs to mend some fences. We'll see when the results of the survey come out.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 24 Aug 2006, 04:46

ThunderTitan wrote:
Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:Pessimism is bad for your health.
Optimism is bad for everyone elses. I prefer the "hope for the best, prepare 4 the worst" aproach.
Grumpy Old Wizard wrote: Yes, HOMM5 is being treated like HOMM4 was by some folks. It was different so "it sucks." Some folks never give anything new a chance.
Because H5 is oh so different. :disagree:

And H4 was unplayable for more then 30 min when it first came out btw.
Optimism is good for everyone. :) Pessimism breeds discontent and panic and is a sign of insecurity. The sky is not falling. Relax.

I refuse to be a Chicken Little. Flap your wings and crow at the top of your lungs if you must. :)

Different is not bad. :) Different does not = "sucks." When you get a few years on you perhaps you will understand of what I speak.

I got HOMM4 soon as it came out and I remember not what you speak.

If you are determined to have bad experiences you will have bad experiences.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 24 Aug 2006, 05:40

GOW ... that's all well and good, i think it is healthy to mix optimism with a good dose of realism, but the fact that people feel strongly about a topic and voice their concerns, criticisms or even anger doesn't mean you need to reduce their points to
Flap your wings and crow at the top of your lungs if you must.
just because you have a different philosphy neither invalidates others, nor means you should try reduce their concerns to the flapping of wings and crowing

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Aug 2006, 07:55

Both optimism and pesimism suck.Realism is the way here :devil:

Of course,different is just different,it can be both good and bad.In this case,its the same thats bad.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Missing the Map Editor

Unread postby Humakt » 24 Aug 2006, 10:07

Psychobabble wrote:Ubi/Fabrice's argument that people don't want fan made maps right on release is definitely correct, but it misses the point that fans won't be able to get their head around the map editor and start producing maps the day patch 1.3 is released, either. In the mean time I think that a lot of people who aren't particularly committed to the game will drift to other things, reducing the audience for the inevitable xpack. I hope not, but that's the way I see it...
Not to mention that releasing the map editor during fall is very bad timing indeed. I for one have to/should spend most of my time studying now.

Heroes V IS good game, but without decent map editor it can't be compared to Heroes 3 and 4. And I'm not too excited about their decision not to include proper text boxes and especially ask question messages are a concern to me if they are not here. I know from the campaigns that editor is capable of some very interesting things that haven't been possible in earlier games (I don't know about WoG), like changing town type to another (Necromancer campaign) or teleporting hero from anywhere to anywhere (Warlock campaign).

@ DL and Paradox: Jolly Joker has contributed a lot for these heroes series in the past mainly in form of indepth strategy/tactic guides for H3. As for you two, I never even saw you guys in the old boards.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”