Guys, give UBI a breath...

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
LordErtz
Demon
Demon

Unread postby LordErtz » 04 Aug 2006, 15:00

Omega_Destroyer wrote:What are you guys talking about? The cut-scene behavior is perfectly natural. After I place my order at a Taco Bell, I always raise a pretend sword and shield and shout my triumph of ordering a meal. And when I'm just chatting with a fellow student, I strike a pose, place out my hand as if some wave of energy eminates from it.

I think the problem is that people don't embrace their spontaneous primal screams. Think what a better world it would be if we could just all stop and smell the roses while waving a sword above our heads.

I just LMFAO at your comment about taco bell and I think some people were staring at me across the room.

Yes, this gets redundant in the campaign to the point i want to throw up my taco bell.

GrowlingDog
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby GrowlingDog » 04 Aug 2006, 15:03

Daemien Lucifer wrote:
Personally,I hate both angels and devils as units.Not because of their looks,the look of HIII devil and angel are fantastic.Its the concept I hate.The avatars of good and evil.Lame.

Umm, what name do u go by? Lucifer was it.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 04 Aug 2006, 15:11

GrowlingDog wrote: Umm, what name do u go by? Lucifer was it.
That nickname was conceived exactly because of that reason.Plus it sounds cool :D

GrowlingDog
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby GrowlingDog » 04 Aug 2006, 15:17

Yea mine came from my dog growling at himself in the mirror. Can dogs get embarrassed if you laugh at them? :|

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 04 Aug 2006, 15:18

It's no Marvel vs. Capcom 2 Super Move!

I can see how the concept bothers you DL. Does seem odd that angels and devils can die. I mean, where are the devils going to go when they die? Detroit?
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 04 Aug 2006, 15:34

No...Serbia :devil:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 04 Aug 2006, 16:08

Im not dead.I never was alive.

And Im not bothered so much by their dying(I mean titans were gods,yet here they die),but by the whole good and evil so clearly defined.Theyre not.The world is grey,not black and white(or red and white,in this case :D )

And this is all off topic,soo....
Last edited by DaemianLucifer on 04 Aug 2006, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 04 Aug 2006, 16:23

To get back on topic, a lot of us look at Heroes 5 in black and white terms only. It's either a great game or a bugged game. It would be nice to think in terms of grey, but often it just isn't realistic. I can understand those who feel disappointed by lack of balancing and features. Perhaps in a way, we are to blame as well for putting the game on such a high pedestal that it could not possibly meet our expectations?
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

GrowlingDog
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby GrowlingDog » 04 Aug 2006, 16:28

ah yes back to the topic at hand. I like playing HeroesV. Could they have made it better? Of course they could have but Blizzard has just released what number patch for Diablo2 (love that game and the 1st). So i'm going to assume that Heroes V will be getting tweaked for ages to come. The good thing for me is that the game already has a good setup. the story can be changed without a problem, the character stats can be changed, hell, just about anything can be changed come to think of it. Once UBI comes out with the Map editor, it will silence a lot of the nay sayers. But of course to those that complain about the game ad nauseam, there is always M&M9 (hehehehehe)

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 04 Aug 2006, 16:33

Omega_Destroyer wrote:To get back on topic, a lot of us look at Heroes 5 in black and white terms only. It's either a great game or a bugged game. It would be nice to think in terms of grey, but often it just isn't realistic. I can understand those who feel disappointed by lack of balancing and features. Perhaps in a way, we are to blame as well for putting the game on such a high pedestal that it could not possibly meet our expectations?
Agree, I also think some of us, if not all had too high exeptations for the game, its their first game after all, have it been their third HOMM game, I would understand the complaints and bashing a bit more.

GatorG
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby GatorG » 04 Aug 2006, 16:40

Since this thread is being positive again...I am impressed with the balance between factions (to the extent it is). They did as good a job as anyone probably coulda done. G (-:

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 04 Aug 2006, 16:46

Omega_Destroyer wrote:To get back on topic, a lot of us look at Heroes 5 in black and white terms only. It's either a great game or a bugged game. It would be nice to think in terms of grey, but often it just isn't realistic. I can understand those who feel disappointed by lack of balancing and features. Perhaps in a way, we are to blame as well for putting the game on such a high pedestal that it could not possibly meet our expectations?
I'm not to blame for putting the game on a high pedestal simply because the game is an average game, just like most games on the market. Heck, the game isn't even a finished product, so it shouldn't have been released when it was.

If the game had been good and I complained, then I would be guilty of putting the game on a high pedestal. My only expectation was to hope the game would not stink, and right now, it does stink. Even the very few good things about it don't make up for it's huge downsides. So to me, it is as simple as being good or bad, or more specifically, should I buy and spend my time with it or not.

EDIT: GatorG, I don't think factions should all be equally balanced. There should be quite a bit of variety between factions I think.

And another thing, we still have half of level 7's as dragons. When will they design a new and unique monster? There are still so many mythological animals that haven't been used.
Last edited by mr.hackcrag on 04 Aug 2006, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.

GrowlingDog
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby GrowlingDog » 04 Aug 2006, 16:48

Well for the last few hrs that i hav been posting here, i have also been playing H5 on my other PC. I have found the game annoying but thats a good thing. When i start yelling out "Oh come on. how could they get there" or "Damn, i shoulda used "slow" on them", then the game has me and thats all she wrote. Once again Ubi, sure the game could be better but u've got me sittin at the PC on a friday nite and thats good enough for me.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 04 Aug 2006, 16:53

GrowlingDog wrote:Well for the last few hrs that i hav been posting here, i have also been playing H5 on my other PC. I have found the game annoying but thats a good thing. When i start yelling out "Oh come on. how could they get there" or "Damn, i shoulda used "slow" on them", then the game has me and thats all she wrote. Once again Ubi, sure the game could be better but u've got me sittin at the PC on a friday nite and thats good enough for me.
Yes, but wouldn't it be better for everybody if they made the changes so many of us have been suggesting for all these months? Think how much more fun it could be if you skip the annoying part and have fun all the way through.

That's why even if you like the game, we should all support one another in trying to make it better. If everybody just shut up, the developers would have no incentive to fixing the game; they've already profited off it.

It's the same with all corporations, if their was no resistance from the public, they would walk all over us, because their first priority is not making a quality product, but rather making a profit.

EDIT: Why did you say you found the game annoying is a good thing?
Last edited by mr.hackcrag on 04 Aug 2006, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 04 Aug 2006, 16:56

No,it was 3DO that put the game on such high grounds,not us.It was them that knew what we liked.And I do look this game with grey glasses.Its just average.But the previous sequels were outstanding,and thats what bothers me.
GrowlingDog wrote:ah yes back to the topic at hand. I like playing HeroesV. Could they have made it better? Of course they could have but Blizzard has just released what number patch for Diablo2 (love that game and the 1st). So i'm going to assume that Heroes V will be getting tweaked for ages to come. The good thing for me is that the game already has a good setup. the story can be changed without a problem, the character stats can be changed, hell, just about anything can be changed come to think of it. Once UBI comes out with the Map editor, it will silence a lot of the nay sayers. But of course to those that complain about the game ad nauseam, there is always M&M9 (hehehehehe)
It doesnt matter whats the version number.Diablo was great when it came out,and it gets better with every patch.Some games get greatly improwed by patches,even if unplayable upon release(HIV).But when its average upon release,and patches bring as much bad as good things,a game cannot be considered awesome.Average at best.
Orfinn wrote: Agree, I also think some of us, if not all had too high exeptations for the game, its their first game after all, have it been their third HOMM game, I would understand the complaints and bashing a bit more.
So what if its their first heroes game?They are a serious company,not some slackers that appeared out of nowhere.They bought a well established game,and knew that along with great number of buyers comes great responsobility to make the game that appeales to them.They knew how big the fan base was for this game(thats why they bought it after all),so if they didnt think they are up to the task,they shouldnt have bought it in the first place.Besides,kings bounty was the excelent,even though there was no previous games like that.

GrowlingDog
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby GrowlingDog » 04 Aug 2006, 17:02

Well i guess thats where i differ. I just dont think its an average game. Hell if i never knew about the map editor, it would still be a great game. Sorry, i'm just not used to whining about a game that i'm playing ALL the time. I really must work on that B-)

GrowlingDog
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby GrowlingDog » 04 Aug 2006, 17:10

Maybe i should put this another way. Lets forget the classics for now. What games have you found had you playing them till dawn in the last 12 months? I've certainly played H5 till dawn but there have been some other apparently brilliant games that i havnt been able to play for more than an hour.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 04 Aug 2006, 17:11

GrowlingDog wrote:Well i guess thats where i differ. I just dont think its an average game. Hell if i never knew about the map editor, it would still be a great game. Sorry, i'm just not used to whining about a game that i'm playing ALL the time. I really must work on that B-)
Thank god for the editor.If there wasnt one in HIV,I dont know what Id be playing now.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Aug 2006, 18:35

GrowlingDog wrote: Sorry, i'm just not used to whining about a game that i'm playing ALL the time. I really must work on that.
Try some CS. :devil:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 04 Aug 2006, 19:14

DaemianLucifer wrote: No,it was 3DO that put the game on such high grounds,not us.It was them that knew what we liked.And I do look this game with grey glasses.Its just average.But the previous sequels were outstanding,and thats what bothers me.
Oh, come on. If they knew what we liked, why did they get death threats for the Forge addon? And why did they make H IV the way they did?
The plain truth is that the the perpetual complaining of the so called fans ruined things then because it forced developers to do things they didn't want to. the AB addon was bad, SoD was good, actually what IS H3, but a rip-off and H 4 was a product that never reached the finish line.
In hindsight, The RoE campaigns are boring and the editor is plain and lacking; AB was buggy like hell and created LOTS of compatibilty and MP playing problems and it too SoD (which was sold at full price to do things right. The never got H IV right.
I simply don't understand some people here; I've played all Homms and for me Heroes V clearly is the best game. I have a laptop and the game runs without a glitch or lags or whatever and I have no problems whatsoever playing multi. The game has depth; it's fun. It's NOT black and white, but grey (which pissed SOME people really off).
In my opinion Nival does a hell of a good job with this game. BECAUSE they do what THEY want and not what the so-called fans want. If they did THAT, the game was already dead right now.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”