Guys, give UBI a breath...

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
OliverFA
Scout
Scout

Unread postby OliverFA » 03 Aug 2006, 18:48

Kalah wrote:Ah, yes - you're talking about playing Scrabble, right?
Nah! Play Heroes in your laptop! :D

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 03 Aug 2006, 19:07

OliverFA wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote:
Kalah wrote: Yet there was a petition to postpone the game until its finished,so no paradox,just "We want perfection,no matter how long it takes!"
The asnwer would be: "Forever".

No matter how well you want to do something. You can always add more factions. You can always better balance the creatures, you will always be ablo to improve the AI. At some point you have to stop working on it. The key is where that point is, and if Heroes V had surpassed or no that point.
I don't really have a problem with the game having to be perfect. My problem is that I want the game to not suck.

Fixing all the bugs, ai, pretty much the things that we've long been complaining about would make the game so much more enjoyable.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Aug 2006, 19:11

OliverFA wrote: The asnwer would be: "Forever".

No matter how well you want to do something. You can always add more factions. You can always better balance the creatures, you will always be ablo to improve the AI. At some point you have to stop working on it. The key is where that point is, and if Heroes V had surpassed or no that point.
Well it hasnt surpassed that point.At least 2 more months were needed,imo.And the perfection should not be taken literaly here.You could say that HIII is perfect now,because it is still being played a lot.You could say that SC is perfect now.Etc,etc.
Jolly Joker wrote: Yes, I understand now. You mean, if they can publish a buggy game and patch it later they could publish a buggy editor as well and patch that one later as well.
Good point, on first look, but not valid here. The game may have (and has had) some bugs, but that didn't stop it from being well playable for most of the people. MP stability was an issue not obvious at the moment of publishing. However, the editor simply would not have been usable as it was. Worse, there had been the danger to edit things for the whole game (the editor was a REAL editor). So the simple fact is that the editor was not nearly finished, while the game was. So-to-speak.
And that one being released would be bad....How?Because some people would be able to post mods that completely change the game?God forbid!

Warlock
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warlock » 03 Aug 2006, 20:02

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Jolly Joker wrote: Yes, I understand now. You mean, if they can publish a buggy game and patch it later they could publish a buggy editor as well and patch that one later as well.
Good point, on first look, but not valid here. The game may have (and has had) some bugs, but that didn't stop it from being well playable for most of the people. MP stability was an issue not obvious at the moment of publishing. However, the editor simply would not have been usable as it was. Worse, there had been the danger to edit things for the whole game (the editor was a REAL editor). So the simple fact is that the editor was not nearly finished, while the game was. So-to-speak.
And that one being released would be bad....How?Because some people would be able to post mods that completely change the game?God forbid!
No, they could destroy their game files - i.e. overwrite the campaign with blank maps or something. Or any number of other bad things.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Aug 2006, 20:53

Jolly Joker wrote: However, the editor simply would not have been usable as it was.
For whom? If they could make the game then the editor is usable. Might not be user-friendly, but one might say the same about H5.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

GrowlingDog
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby GrowlingDog » 03 Aug 2006, 21:06

Love the graphics, dont like the warcry sounds after each battle, love the story, the battle layout and the zoom. Want more creatures, more artifacts and map editor. cant stand some of the forum "live ins", do they do anything but post all day. If u dont like the game, dont play the game. It aint rocket science. Some have said they stopped playing the game because they couldnt stand playing it. If only they stopped whining about the game at the same time. I figure US$50 or so for at least 200 hours of game play. Whats that 25c an hour. What were they after? a holographic, interactive game? Well done UBI. If not for you, some people wouldnt even have a game to complain about. Keep tweaking the game and hurry up with the map editor, Thanks

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Aug 2006, 21:30

GrowlingDog wrote:Love the graphics, love the story
So sad.... i'm sorry for you.

And i'm sure lots of people would love to play the game if only X or Y were fixed.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 03 Aug 2006, 21:37

There, there. Now, I know I haven't spent 200 hours on this thing, not even half that. I bought the game expecting an editor (at least in the future) so play time could be extended. I knew things wouldn't be perfect (that's almost become a Heroes tradition too, hasn't it...) but I can live with that as long as things improve gradually. So far, I think they have.

Still things I don't like, though. I haven't played a perfect game in a while...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Aug 2006, 21:54

Warlock wrote: No, they could destroy their game files - i.e. overwrite the campaign with blank maps or something. Or any number of other bad things.
And thats bad...Because?Im sure those smart enought would back up their files before tampering with such an editor,and those that arent would simply reinstall the game.Oh,god forbid someone has to reinstall the game!It would take whole 10 minutes of their lives!

Warlock
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warlock » 03 Aug 2006, 21:58

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Warlock wrote: No, they could destroy their game files - i.e. overwrite the campaign with blank maps or something. Or any number of other bad things.
And thats bad...Because?Im sure those smart enought would back up their files before tampering with such an editor,and those that arent would simply reinstall the game.Oh,god forbid someone has to reinstall the game!It would take whole 10 minutes of their lives!
It's sloppy and frankly, people would be bitching more than they already do about the lack of an editor. Besides, not everyone is tech savy, I'm sure there are plenty of people who would not know what to do, resulting in returned games and poor sales overall.

But it doesn't even matter. The editor was not in a ready state. Just because two people might be able to decipher how to use it (without manuals and likely with scripting knowledge required) doesn't mean they should just release it in a user-unfriendly state like that.

Edit: And it's entirely possible it could cause problems to your system as well (it's a developer version, it doesn't need extensive testing), which cannot be fixed by "reinstalling"

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 03 Aug 2006, 22:02

That's why I think they never imagined releasing a scenario editor upon game-release would be a viable option. They just never thought about it. If they had considered it important (which I'm sure they would have, had they made some enquiries into it) they would probably have made arrangements for its release much earlier.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

GrowlingDog
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby GrowlingDog » 03 Aug 2006, 22:58

Hahahaha, actually i think some have spent more time in the forum talking about the game than playing it. Such is life i guess

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 04 Aug 2006, 06:15

GrowlingDog wrote:Hahahaha, actually i think some have spent more time in the forum talking about the game than playing it.
Yes :-D

Anyway, what is so great about H5 story?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Aug 2006, 10:54

The story in it self is... not too bad. It's the way they tell it I find really really weak - the cutscenes and other interludes offer poor graphics and terrible voiceovers.

GatorG
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby GatorG » 04 Aug 2006, 11:07

Godric: <bangs shield>

Godric: <looks at you for 2 seconds>

Stage Manager: cue cue

Godric: oh, RAWR Queen Isabel

<2 second pause>

I

don't know why you're

<pause>

asking me to surrender

Markal: <raises staff> RAWR

Stage Manager: why did he do that?

Player: don't ask me.

G (-:

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 04 Aug 2006, 14:21

I've often wondered why the human faction haven has always been considered "good" alignment in all the series. I think they should be at least "neutral" alignment or maybe even "evil."

And why would angels join with humans. According to what I just read in the haven info section, they were taking refuge with the empire when they got their a**es kicked by someone. I've always felt that angels should have their own faction like the demons do, instead of being ordered around by humans.

I haven't played through the campaign so is the ambition of the empire and angels one and the same?

GrowlingDog
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby GrowlingDog » 04 Aug 2006, 14:26

Yes thats what i thought. The story is alrite its the script they have put together that sucks. But really how many variations can u make on a story like this. You "the player" has to chase after the baddies and eventually kill them or incarcerate them. Thats the story for pretty much every RPG game. Oh and how about some of you FINISH the book\movie\game before you start commenting on the story. Sure comment on the Dialogue, the characters and anything else but the story without finishing it. Like walking out of "Gone with the wind" at intermission, not going back in the cinama, then telling all, that the story sucked. What the!

GrowlingDog
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby GrowlingDog » 04 Aug 2006, 14:30

Hahahahaha, yea gotta say the shield banging thing and the Rawr between sentences had me scratching my head too. Still its got nothing to do with the story. Terrible script and acting tho(bad acting from an animation, what the!)

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 04 Aug 2006, 14:47

What are you guys talking about? The cut-scene behavior is perfectly natural. After I place my order at a Taco Bell, I always raise a pretend sword and shield and shout my triumph of ordering a meal. And when I'm just chatting with a fellow student, I strike a pose, place out my hand as if some wave of energy eminates from it.

I think the problem is that people don't embrace their spontaneous primal screams. Think what a better world it would be if we could just all stop and smell the roses while waving a sword above our heads.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 04 Aug 2006, 14:50

GrowlingDog wrote:Yes thats what i thought. The story is alrite its the script they have put together that sucks. But really how many variations can u make on a story like this. You "the player" has to chase after the baddies and eventually kill them or incarcerate them. Thats the story for pretty much every RPG game. Oh and how about some of you FINISH the book\movie\game before you start commenting on the story. Sure comment on the Dialogue, the characters and anything else but the story without finishing it. Like walking out of "Gone with the wind" at intermission, not going back in the cinama, then telling all, that the story sucked. What the!
Try HIV's half dead campaign.I found it good from the very start,and awesome in the end.This one I found somewhat average in the beggining,and lamer every time I progressed.
mr.hackcrag wrote:I've often wondered why the human faction haven has always been considered "good" alignment in all the series. I think they should be at least "neutral" alignment or maybe even "evil."

And why would angels join with humans. According to what I just read in the haven info section, they were taking refuge with the empire when they got their a**es kicked by someone. I've always felt that angels should have their own faction like the demons do, instead of being ordered around by humans.

I haven't played through the campaign so is the ambition of the empire and angels one and the same?
Yes,its really lame that humans are always goody good doers.Bah!I hate that.Why not have SC humans that are just...well humans.Not evil,but not good either.They just fight for a better living.As for angels,they are the incarnation of the dragon humans worship.Personally,I hate both angels and devils as units.Not because of their looks,the look of HIII devil and angel are fantastic.Its the concept I hate.The avatars of good and evil.Lame.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”