So many Unupgraded Units are so Worthless

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
LordErtz
Demon
Demon

Unread postby LordErtz » 26 Jul 2006, 20:16

Well, yes, the damage done by the marksman is pretty much doubled (the range is) so a well placed diving strength/righteous might does a body good.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 26 Jul 2006, 20:24

ThunderTitan wrote:
PhoenixReborn wrote: I don't understand, what else would you use the resources for?
Ale and whores of course. :devil:

Less spend on buildings = more spend on creatures. ;)
Well ale anyways.

But in the situation you give, you might as well make gold the only resource.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Jul 2006, 21:38

PhoenixReborn wrote: Well ale anyways.

But in the situation you give, you might as well make gold the only resource.
You know, i really hate beer.

And that's what the marketplace is for... :devil:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

juventas
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby juventas » 26 Jul 2006, 22:52

With all those peasants I train, I can't afford to upgrade my archers.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 27 Jul 2006, 13:19

Scattershot is also good for killing phantom forces *and* attacking the original at the same time. If the PF are hit, you did extra damage. If not, you didn't waste the whole attack. Since PF only take 1 point of damage to destroy, the reduced damage to them doesn't matter.

Not to mention you can hit multiple PFs at once- particularly nice against spell casters and ranged stacks, since moving them will cost an action anyway by the controller!

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 27 Jul 2006, 13:56

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:Scattershot is also good for killing phantom forces *and* attacking the original at the same time. If the PF are hit, you did extra damage. If not, you didn't waste the whole attack. Since PF only take 1 point of damage to destroy, the reduced damage to them doesn't matter.

Not to mention you can hit multiple PFs at once- particularly nice against spell casters and ranged stacks, since moving them will cost an action anyway by the controller!
The phantom forces thing is the biggest reason to use archers. Otherwise whats the point? The dmg and hp increase for archers --> marksmen is so large whats the point of using archers? Marskmen do nearly 70% more dmg than archers and have like 45% more hp. With precise shot making sure than nobody dares come close to the marskmen unless they can hit them that turn and you have a unit that is easily twice as good as archers.

I could see archer/marskmen being different if they
1. Lowered marskmen dmg to 2-5 from 2-8
2. Give them no ranged penalty.
3. Change their precise shot to an activeatable ability that takes time to take effect(like battle dive).
4. Scattershot deals 60% dmg instead of 50% dmg.

This way marskmen would be used for long range attacks(picking off enemy shooters) and castle sieges while archers would be a better choice for closer range combat.

It's not even that hard. I'd probably still use marskmen in this situation but I could see myself relying on archers as well. If I'm fearing the enemies master hunters or lichs then I'd upgrade to marskmen to pick them off. It both makes sense and would definitely add more to the game.

They could do the same with footman/squires. Give footman an extra point of initiative & speed so that if your not using the shield other ability and want to actually use them in close combat you wouldn't necessarily want to upgrade them. All that armor would make footmen lose speed and initiative.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 Jul 2006, 15:01

But why would they nerfe the upgrades?They already cost too much,so why make them weaker?Those are upgrades,so they are expected to be way better.

And Id like to see more units demanding resources other then gold for their training,not just level 7s.

Marine OKeefe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Marine OKeefe » 27 Jul 2006, 16:01

I think Archers should get a full range instead of half-range like they have since a bow and arrow doesnt lose effectiveness over distance since it arcs.

Could this be modded?
"Praised be Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour"
"Semper Fidelis - Always Faithful"

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 Jul 2006, 16:12

Marine OKeefe wrote:I think Archers should get a full range instead of half-range like they have since a bow and arrow doesnt lose effectiveness over distance since it arcs.
They dont loose on power,true,but they loose on precision.Thats why ranged attack are less effective in long range.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”