So... are you glad you patched it?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Warmskin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Warmskin » 23 Jul 2006, 18:37

Warmskin wrote:
Well, I started this thread and unfortunately I got my answer. Thanks. Guess I'll wait for 1.3... And then wait again like I did with this one (for everyone to rush and install it first). Glad I waited.

You replied:
Well anyone waiting for 1.3 you're wasting your time as it probably won't fix anything, since it's supposed to be the map editor. Pray they do not delay it to fix the things they broke in this last patch. Also let's hope someone figures out how to turn the cheats back on. You want to bet you have to download 1.2 before you load 1.3.

No bets, thanks... like I said, I'll wait 'till everyone 'beta tests' 1.3, and then make a decision. 1.1 is running quite nicely for me.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 23 Jul 2006, 20:05

ChinaBlue wrote:
HodgePodge wrote: but the new problems in SP and the disabling of the Cheat Codes have made my decision for me … I'm not going to install patch 1.2!
I'm not trying to change your mind about installing but just fyi, you can still use the @ commands.
Really? All of them? I did hear that before. Still, I'm rather suspicious but maybe after I get lots of confirmation, I'll change my mind. Thanks, ChinaBlue. :)
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 23 Jul 2006, 22:29

DaemianLucifer wrote:It seems that nival has a strange tendency to break some things whenever it fixes something.For example,when the game came out,it fixed a lot that was broken in HIV by making it more like HIII,but at the same time,broke a lot that was excelent.They also managed to fix a few things that were wrong in HIII,but then again,they broke some things that were great.It seems that they do the same with the patches.

Exactly! It's like they don't understand not to touch stuff that worked fine and instead focus on the problems we have been telling them about for months now.

Instead, they continue to ignore the problems that have existed since the beta and then they try to change a feature in the game, but wind up making it worse than it previously was.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 24 Jul 2006, 02:04

let me answer the initial thread question like this:

I'm glad I didn't install the 1.2 patch!!

I have been a fairly solid supporter of the job that ubi/nival did to this point, but bringing in a patch that breaks things??? That is shameful and i desperately hope they can fix this!!

juventas
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby juventas » 24 Jul 2006, 03:17

It only fixed a few of the things I wanted fixed, and then it went ahead and "fixed" some more. How many people complained about the 1.1 ATB bar? Why did they choose to "fix" it?

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 24 Jul 2006, 03:25

yep some of the "fixes" are just begging the question ..... "WHY???!!!"

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 24 Jul 2006, 06:44

Its sad...really sad. Can anyone search a job at Nival and teach them a lesson or two? Its tiresome to get patches that in fact ripps up more wounds instead of healing the old ones!

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 24 Jul 2006, 07:05

it is indeed orfinn

i really hope that ubival take note of this and pull their finger out and get this fixed, plus learn not to release such buggy code in future

/ends dream

djtc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby djtc » 25 Jul 2006, 16:40

REALLY don't get the point about changing/"fixing" things NOBODY complains about.
And when you think about so many things that had to be fixed...

Dunno about the fact of adding problems/crashes, makes them look incompetent, but still, "can" happen. But the rest shows just too much of "whe're not listening to our players/buyers", no way to excuse that.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jul 2006, 17:10

A few weeks earlier,in the nival HQ:

FC:"Ok team,the fans are all angry because we didnt give them a choice in upgrades like we promised.They say upgrades are no brainer.So,Ive done some thinking,and this is what Ive come up with...."

And thats how we got these patches :devil:

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 25 Jul 2006, 22:08

There is a lot of gritching in that thread over at the official forum, but none of the problems they cite strike me as being P0 or P1 bugs. The game seems quite playable to me, despite them.

I do wish that Nival would realize that they have a large squad of testers out here, eager volunteers who have proven their value in the beta.

In the world of 'grownup' software, the standard practice is to offer a patch immediately to the customer reporting a problem, asking that they verify the fix, and then later a set of fixes are rolled together to make a release that goes out to the entire customer base. This version is regression tested to make sure nothing got broken and then the individual fixes are verified. Sure, there will still be bugs, but the patch itself is solid. There is excellent configuration management software available.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

juventas
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby juventas » 26 Jul 2006, 01:25

I'm still wondering where they got the idea to patch things like the ATB bar and the frickin' hero models. Did they annoy the developers that much? It's a character model for goodness' sakes! Although, I'll admit, it was probably an easy fix.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 26 Jul 2006, 07:06

I just hope every patch from now on will be mod friendly (unlike 1.2 for some unknown reason), so that modders dont have to update their mods after every patch.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 26 Jul 2006, 08:31

Yep, that is frustrating, but no more so than breaking things that worked!!!

Return to “Heroes V-VI”