So... are you glad you patched it?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Warmskin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

So... are you glad you patched it?

Unread postby Warmskin » 22 Jul 2006, 14:00

Well, after reading many pros and cons... was it worth it to install 1.2? I'm nearing the end of a mission and was just wondering. With 1.1, the game's been stable for me. No crashes although it occassionally won't start up after launching it from the desktop icon. No big deal, though. I just ctrl-alt-del and stop it from running and then re-launch and it always starts then. Other than that, no problems. But, I'm a little concerned about adding new ones if there are any 1.2 problems. I know there are things that are fixed and rebalanced a little. So, does the good outweigh the bad is my question? Thanks a lot.

Paradox
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Paradox » 22 Jul 2006, 15:17

what are the cons?

Ari
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ari » 22 Jul 2006, 15:36

Given all of the issues I read about with 1.1 and campaign map scripts and such, I decided to forgo the relatively limited benefits of the patch until I'd beaten the campaigns. Which I just did about an hour ago :). Now that my campaign files aren't being held hostage, I see no reason not to upgrade.

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 22 Jul 2006, 15:46

Well, i like some of the improvements that patch 1.2 contained but unfortunatlely the european patch version opened up new flaws for me (and for a bunch of german users too):
The new description of how much creatures reside in a dwelling seems to be totally f***ed up for many players and some (including myself) are not getting damgage ratings of destructive spells in spellbook anymore.... the promised new enhanced spell infos are missing too!

C'mon, especially Ubisoft as an european company should be a little bit more keen to please the european community, not deisregarding them by such sloppiness....
....and bugs that spread through localized but not in the english versions smells rather "Oblivionish" to me.

Beside that "localized" problems, the battle cinemtaics sometimes create weird viewpoints now, quite often the POV excludes the attacking creature but shows the very interesting landscape beside the defender..... before 1.2 this was all fine!

So, if you're playing the english version i would recommend installing 1.2.... some good improvements and the 2 new maps are are relief for those who cannot see dragnopass, neighbours et al. anymore because copiously playing them!

edit:
two minor typos!

Addendum: The "neutral stack increase mod" i gladly recieved here at the forums a few weeks ago seems to fail after 1.2..... does anyone know if or where there is an substitute somewhere?
ThX
Last edited by omegaweix on 22 Jul 2006, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 22 Jul 2006, 16:15

NO! I'm on the verge of proclaiming the Heroes V developers as incompetent! *Grabs the idiot staple*

Here's my list of complaints:
  • It crashes after 2-3min and every other crash is a BSOD!
  • And that Hall of Fame....HOW IN THE NINE HELLS COULD THEY MESS IT UP???
It was good in Heroes II & III and would have sufficed for me, but do they copy & paste the Hall of Fame code into Heroes V? Nooo ofcourse not....now there's a HoF for every single map AND it only works on campaign and their scenario maps....

ChinaBlue
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ChinaBlue » 22 Jul 2006, 21:30

European version. Frequent crash to desktop. ATB-bar acting weird. No problem before.:mad:

stijn
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby stijn » 22 Jul 2006, 21:45

hotseats duel is a great improvement, and lots of fun for a short game :)

chibi dw
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby chibi dw » 22 Jul 2006, 21:46

i can't say i approve of the change to the dev console(at least leave it working in single player), i have found things to be a bit more stable in 1.2 than 1.1.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 22 Jul 2006, 22:37

stijn wrote:hotseats duel is a great improvement, and lots of fun for a short game :)
I agree completely.

Warmskin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Warmskin » 23 Jul 2006, 01:32

OK, maybe I should have mentioned that it would be the American version of the patch that I'm asking about and I probably w/b playing 'single' player most of the time (at least for the forseeable future). Also, if I do install it, when exactly w/b the right time? I am finishing up the 3rd mission on the Necropolis (3rd campaign, I believe) campaign. Should I install right after it's over and I get the video? Should I save at that poine, patch it, then re-load at the very beginning of mission 4? Thanks again.

djtc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby djtc » 23 Jul 2006, 02:13

Patch for european version simply is a shame.

I'd say if they don't REALLY care about patching the thing, just give us a Map Editor and leave the rest to modders.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 23 Jul 2006, 07:19

Paradox wrote: what are the cons?

These are the cons.

I'm seriously thinking about reinstalling and just applying the first patch because as far as I'm concerned this latest patch has introduced more problems than it actually fixed.

So glad we waited a month and a half for basically nothing.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 23 Jul 2006, 11:00

Now they have changed creature icons to the incorrect AGAIN! What are they thinking? Maybe they have prepared those icons, and to fix up the creature models in yet another weak patch to make them match?

Im speechless..........do we really have to go the hard way to make those incompetent sobs at ubi and nival understand how much they have screwed the game and how easy it is to fix simple thing like icons by sending death threats to them??? A petition could be done first, but seeing how much the "save heroes" petition worked out, we need bigger guns :disagree:
I have been on the fence with H5 in a looong time now, lending to both sides many times, but if these patches continue to screw the game instead of fixing it, H5 is gonna be the most messy heroes game ever!

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 23 Jul 2006, 11:28

King Imp wrote:
I'm seriously thinking about reinstalling and just applying the first patch because as far as I'm concerned this latest patch has introduced more problems than it actually fixed.

A pity but i was thinking the same during the last 2 days.....
for example first believed the new ATB bar was intended that way and i'd just have to get familiar with it.... but nope, the one from 1.1 was way better...

....but with the total lack of spell-descriptions in my spellbook, weird cinematic camera angles, numbers of creatures in dwellings not showing correctly, my stack increasing mod was nuked out too.... i barely see the point of using 1.2 anymore.... especially cause i play mainly single-player!, so the promised multiplayer enhancement (i din't test though) doesn't pay for me!

Is there a possibility Ubi/Nival may patch the patch?
Or do we have to hope that 1.3 will correct the 1.2 issues (maybe even WITHOUT intoducing new bugs) :drama: ?

Quite disapointing situation!!
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

fercorwin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby fercorwin » 23 Jul 2006, 11:39

For me Patch 1.2 is a great patch.

Because before we cannot play in multiplayers mode except for duel.

Now we can so if you want to play in multiplayer take it!

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 23 Jul 2006, 15:21

omegaweix wrote:
King Imp wrote:

A pity but i was thinking the same during the last 2 days .....
i barely see the point of using 1.2 anymore .... especially cause i play mainly single-player!, so the promised multiplayer enhancement (i din't test though) doesn't pay for me!

… Quite disapointing situation!!
Me too … I ONLY play single-player, so the so-called multi-player fixes don't do a thing for me … but the new problems in SP and the disabling of the Cheat Codes have made my decision for me … I'm not going to install patch 1.2!
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Warmskin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Warmskin » 23 Jul 2006, 15:53

Well, I started this thread and unfortunately I got my answer. Thanks. Guess I'll wait for 1.3... And then wait again like I did with this one (for everyone to rush and install it first). Glad I waited.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Jul 2006, 18:00

It seems that nival has a strange tendency to break some things whenever it fixes something.For example,when the game came out,it fixed a lot that was broken in HIV by making it more like HIII,but at the same time,broke a lot that was excelent.They also managed to fix a few things that were wrong in HIII,but then again,they broke some things that were great.It seems that they do the same with the patches.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 23 Jul 2006, 18:27

Warmskin wrote:Well, I started this thread and unfortunately I got my answer. Thanks. Guess I'll wait for 1.3... And then wait again like I did with this one (for everyone to rush and install it first). Glad I waited.
Well anyone waiting for 1.3 you're wasting your time as it probably won't fix anything, since it's supposed to be the map editor. Pray they do not delay it to fix the things they broke in this last patch. Also let's hope someone figures out how to turn the cheats back on. You want to bet you have to download 1.2 before you load 1.3. ;|
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

ChinaBlue
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ChinaBlue » 23 Jul 2006, 18:34

HodgePodge wrote: but the new problems in SP and the disabling of the Cheat Codes have made my decision for me … I'm not going to install patch 1.2!
I'm not trying to change your mind about installing but just fyi, you can still use the @ commands.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”