Klaus too powerfull?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
LordErtz
Demon
Demon

Unread postby LordErtz » 24 Jul 2006, 23:55

Jhora doesnt increase initiative for her troops, only for herself

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Jul 2006, 00:15

Then my info must be outdated
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 25 Jul 2006, 00:21

But Wyngaal does increase the initiative of all the troops, at least on the first turn.

With a high level Wyngaal, all my sylvan troops went twice before the enemy even got to go.

juventas
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby juventas » 25 Jul 2006, 01:34

Kalah wrote:Sure, he's a decent @$$-kicker, but he's not what you'd call overpowered.
Paladins are among the cheapest tier 6 units in the game (if not the cheapest), and their weekly growth rate is on par with every other faction. They are good and cheap units. But when you put them under Klaus, you can decimate an entire stack of opposing units in the first round. On an 8-tile charge at 24th level, 40 of them can do upwards of 14000 damage on a creature with 30 defense. What other hero do you know can do this? What spell can do as much damage as 10 Paladins? (3500 damage = 38 spellpower + emerald slippers +empowered implosion)

1.1 Paladins may be overpowered, but they fell in nicely when considering the Haven faction as a whole. Klaus was excessively overpowered. Judging from the nerf, he may still be overpowered. Of all the heroes you mentioned, only Wyngaal could match up. His master hunters could take out the Paladins before they have a chance to act. Other overpowered heroes would possibly be Deleb and Vladimir.

Findan is a campaign-only hero, by the way, so he doesn't count. If you want to consider campaign heroes, you may also want to throw in Markal, who gets every single undead neutral to join him for free.

Arstahd
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arstahd » 25 Jul 2006, 01:50

Kalah wrote:Sure, he's a decent @$$-kicker, but he's not what you'd call overpowered. All heroes have their thing, and some are better than others - let's have a look at some of his competitors, shall we?

Jhora has increasing initiative as her level goes up. Having high initiative doesn't just give you the edge in this game, it can indeed prove so powerful you might want to cast Mass Slow as the first thing you do when you face this babe. Having initiative gives your creatures the right of way, so to speak. They act first, strike first and thus you own the battlefield. The fact that this ability works on all creatures in her army makes it an awe-inspiring ability.

Lazlo's ability strengthens the backbone of the Haven army - the footmen/squires - by +1 to attack and defense for every three levels (right?). That means by the time this boy reaches level 21 he gives them +7! OK, not exactly a game-winning feature, but when you add the other bonuses you are likely to gather up during the game and the importance of the squires in your average Haven army, you have a very important hero skill. However, several heroes has this kind of skill, so it evens out. Dougal's bonus to the archers/marksmen, which is also +1 for every three, makes him a viable candidate for hero of the year. Jezebeth's strengthening of the Inferno shooters does the same. Lucretia powers up the important vampires. Ossir boosts the mighty elves.

Findan: As the Sylvan shooters are among the most powerful beasts in the game, that pre-battle Elven Volley can prove as devastating as it can prove game-deciding. It has for me, many a time.

Unicorn mistress Ylthin just rocks.

But yes, Klaus is a very powerful hero indeed. Just remember he is dependant on the growth and cost of the creatures.
Jhora - As mentioned her ability only works on herself and I believe that it works out that she only gets 1 or 2 extra spells even in the best of circumstances.

Findan - Campaign hero, can't normally be used.

The Others - Ok, +7 Att & Def at level 21. That works out to what, +35% damage? Then there is Klaus who confers around +300% extra damage from an average 5-6 tile charge. How are they even compairable?

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 25 Jul 2006, 12:57

Sure, he's a decent @$$-kicker, but he's not what you'd call overpowered. All heroes have their thing, and some are better than others - let's have a look at some of his competitors, shall we?
No, a hero being better than the other choices is what you called overpowered. If hero X is better than the other choices out there he's overpowered. How is that hard to understand at all?

The heroes that give + stats to slow units blow. Simply because slow units themselves blow. Any hero that specializes in a walker with under 10 initiative is simply a bad hero. Initiative was not balanced in this game either and its overpowered in units that have it high.

Compare for example blood furies with plague zombies or horned overseers. Absolutely no contest. Deep Hydras are brutal stat-wise yet most people still dislike them due to their low initiative. I can honestly see why now.

The only slow unit that doesnt suck imo are treants but they have root and a movement speed of 6(which compared to a lot of the others slow walkers is a lot).

The game isn't terribly imbalanced but people that defend imbalance saying it adds flavour and uniqueness to a game surprises me. Hunters were too strong in warcraft 3 and did that add flavour and uniqueness to night elf? Mutalisks were too strong in starcraft and did that add flavour and uniqueness to zerg? It took 3-4 patches to put them in line. In starcraft an expansion was also required.

Fortunately this game artificially prevents imbalances from being too much by giving you enough money to purchase out your towns full growth every week(I'd love to see this changed since EVERYONE in the same faction ends up with the same army in the end).

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 25 Jul 2006, 15:25

MrSteamTank wrote: No, a hero being better than the other choices is what you called overpowered. If hero X is better than the other choices out there he's overpowered. How is that hard to understand at all?
Nope. A hero that's significantly better than the others is overpowered. Heroes will never be perfectly equal, and there will be some that are at least a bit better than the others.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jul 2006, 16:59

Why do people think that if heroes are different they cannot be perfectly balanced?We had perfect balance in SC,yet every race was completely different from the other.It is hard,I know,but it can be repeated.Balance is achievable.

Also,hydras dont blow.They are even better then treants because they reganarate and are cheaper.Sure,they are slow,but TA+haste them,and your enemy is toast.

stijn
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby stijn » 25 Jul 2006, 18:12

Also,hydras dont blow.They are even better then treants because they reganarate and are cheaper.Sure,they are slow,but TA+haste them,and your enemy is toast.
when comparing units, don't take magic into account, cause the same can be said about the treants. also, when playing dungeon, you usually have better things to do than buff your hydras..

you'll always have heroes that are better in certain circumstances, but as it is now, klaus is always much better than almost all other haven heroes, so that qualifies as imbalanced i'd say. (perhaps on really small maps the archer guy is better)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jul 2006, 21:28

DaemianLucifer wrote:We had perfect balance in SC,yet every race was completely different from the other.It is hard,I know,but it can be repeated.Balance is achievable.
Please, until 1.07 they were still balancing the game hard. And the Terrans are still considered the weakest.

But you could balance them enough.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jul 2006, 21:37

ThunderTitan wrote: Please, until 1.07 they were still balancing the game hard. And the
Still,those patches actually fixed things.
ThunderTitan wrote: Terrans are still considered the weakest.
Really?Is that why the top in MP is mostly terrans?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jul 2006, 21:43

DaemianLucifer wrote: Really?Is that why the top in MP is mostly terrans?
?Were? considered the weakest? It's been a while.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 25 Jul 2006, 21:47

DaemianLucifer wrote:Why do people think that if heroes are different they cannot be perfectly balanced?We had perfect balance in SC,yet every race was completely different from the other.It is hard,I know,but it can be repeated.Balance is achievable.
The heores are individually much harder to balance than full races, because you're having much fewer paramters: specialities, skills, and spells/war machines AND many more heroes to balance as well. You can get acceptable balance, but getting it to a point were it never matters which hero you choose with regards to chances to win is IMO impossible.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

juventas
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby juventas » 26 Jul 2006, 01:21

I don't play MP, but is there a best faction in this game? Which faction has won significantly more battles than the other factions?

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 26 Jul 2006, 01:35

ThunderTitan wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote: Really?Is that why the top in MP is mostly terrans?
?Were? considered the weakest? It's been a while.
I played starcraft for 4 years + and basically the game was dominated by zerg until the expansion where it became pretty close to equal. Small tweaks were made from there to improve game balance as the game was almost perfect.

Terran were very map dependant and would crush any opposition if the map was too much in there favour. Yet if it wasn't they would lose badly. There is a reason why all maps generally had 1 chokepoint. Zerg would have too much of an advantage with zergling worker harass.

Finding he correct balance is always hard but homm5 right now is not really close to starcraft levels. If multi didn't take so bloody long I'd be able to say more about each faction as I could actually play enough matches to say. Although now some obvious imbalances rise(raise dead, phantom forces, high init units in general being better than slow ones, klaus, master hunters doing excessive dmg, neutrals being too luck based since ranged ones are 10 times as dangerous as melee, massive luck in the tactics phase can gg a battle right there, etc, etc)

Return to “Heroes V-VI”