We all played HOMM V for some time and it's time to choose..

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

What is your favorite faction in HOMM V?

Heaven
10%
Inferno
12%
Necropolis
24%
Dungeon
23%
Sylvan
16%
Academy
15%

Total votes: 164

thecheese
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby thecheese » 28 Jul 2006, 15:52

Necro's strengths rely in their numbers and their undead properties. Their units can afford to be somewhat weak on an individual level for this reason.

Calling them weak, however, just means that you've not seen them properly used. :P

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 28 Oct 2006, 15:55

The Academy.

I like the creatures, I like the town theme, and the race special, costly though it is.

Sylvan are second.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Kadorak
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kadorak » 28 Oct 2006, 16:12

<Wrong Thread!>

magerette
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby magerette » 28 Oct 2006, 17:23

Hard for me to pick between Necropolis and Inferno--but have to go with being Lord of the Undead. :devil:

As for the Haven faction, to me it is just not very interesting, tho powerful and easy to play. I don't mind the units being similar to H2-3 but the hero specialities, heroes, were way more blah. The only cool looking knight with a decent special is Rutger--but then I'm not a Might style player--but if I were, I'd rather play an ugly Barbarian B-)

corianteri
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby corianteri » 28 Oct 2006, 18:48

Yes, Haven is too easy and boring :)

I voted for Sylvan. They have very good creatures and even look nice, which cannot be said about djinns, peasants or zombies. Or paladins. I don't want creatures to look pretty but they should look a bit more convincing. They don't have any useless units. The only bad thing about them is the wood costs. They are way too high.

wayne
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby wayne » 28 Oct 2006, 23:42

Had a tough time choosing between Necropolis and Dungeon, eventually went for the faction with the hot level 6 chicks.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 29 Oct 2006, 05:36

Ok from most prefered to only as a last resort picks..unmodded

Sylvan - With Sylvan it is imparitive to know your enemy, and know them well. They have some amazing units, some nice specials, and their luck can make all the difference in a battle. For every enemy; however, there is strategy involved, and you have to know their weaknesses. You have to adapt. It doesn't force you into any straightjacket under the pretense of 'balance' either. The only skills you really should take the majority of the time are luck and attack (ranged damage modifier can really come in handy). Tactics can also help against necromancers (their formally monsterous skelly archers become not so hot skelly melee when a unit is in their face). Since they use heavy wood and ore, they don't hurt as bad as some with resources. Good overall stategy vs any except academy is Rain of Arrows + imbue arrows + meteor shower or implosion..this can cause some really major damage.

Dungeon - well great units, amazing specials, teleport assult, what isn't to like with them? Expensive though. Destructive magic and it's companions are a must. Other skills help it out, but there is some leeway at least.

Inferno - Gate, gate, gate...it can turn the tide in any battle, and the units are not exactly pushovers either. Not to mention in anything but a seige they can pretty much put a halt to ranged units quickly. Teleport assult is useful, and upgrading to Mistresses is a must. Their level 7 is a bit bleh, but still useful.

Haven - You pretty much have to have a set skill list for it, but still a little more flexible then say Necropolipse. It is a might oriented faction so besides maybe light magic, you have to avoid most spell skills. Getting the beloved of the people and a horde of peasants can really be a blessing. Then getting a expert trainer with the best buildings and you can make enough marksmen or such to counter just about anything. Easily one of the strongest factions, though a bit limited in choices.

Necropolipse - not much strategy involved here (sorry all you necro fans). Raise archer, eternal servitude, dark magic. Just kill neutral stacks, raise archers, rinse/repeat and you have a near unstoppable horde. Too little actual strategy for me, and too limited in skills. Now for a real challenge, try light magic/destructive magic, defense, sorcery, and enlightenment :). That is a struggle..if you can win in MP with these skills, my hat is off to you.

Academy - Subpar units, subpar special, limited choices, and repetitive. So not for me. Was a huge magic fan, but this version of academy really wore that out of me. Maybe in the future magic will be back where it should be, a real viable and DIVERSE faction.

Note these are just my opinons and observations for my play style. Others have differing views. This post does not in any context mean any of the following.

1) my view is the only correct view.

2) you are all noob and I am l33t

3) everybody should agree to me

thank you for your time :)
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 29 Oct 2006, 07:32

Then again i should try geting past m.8 of Homeworld again
*sharp pain appears in side*

the only game that i ever quit because i got tired of getting my ass kicked. that mission ranks in my top ten hardest of any game i recall playing.

It was an excellent game though! the storyline was top-notch, and you got a real sense of "drama" while playing it.

I agree; it might be time to revisit it again soon.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 29 Oct 2006, 10:56

Night_Heaven wrote:I can't belive Necropolis is on first place.... 8| .Now that is weird..They are soo weak and still they have 25 votes..Ntz ntz ntz :-D
Well they were pretty much unbeatable pre 1.3.Now,I dont know,havent tried the patch yet.
Mytical wrote: 1) my view is the only correct view.

2) you are all noob and I am l33t

3) everybody should agree to me

thank you for your time :)
If only you spelled that correctly.But its neither correct in english,nor in 1337,so run away n00b :devious:
Sir_Toejam wrote:
Then again i should try geting past m.8 of Homeworld again
*sharp pain appears in side*

the only game that i ever quit because i got tired of getting my ass kicked. that mission ranks in my top ten hardest of any game i recall playing.

It was an excellent game though! the storyline was top-notch, and you got a real sense of "drama" while playing it.

I agree; it might be time to revisit it again soon.
Pft!Amateurs!When I read TTs comment there I reinstalled both homeworlds and passed them from begining to the end once more.And this time on hard :proudirule:

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 29 Oct 2006, 11:26

Lol yes DL I know, and quite on purpose to make a mockery of it :). See that it worked just fine. :rofl:

Can't believe you missed no 3 though. Agree to me? Come on I thought that was so obvious...*sighs* well see if you can find the errors I put in here. Oh and Sylvan still is the best :).
Last edited by Mytical on 29 Oct 2006, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Oct 2006, 11:42

DaemianLucifer wrote: If only you spelled that correctly.But its neither correct in english,nor in 1337,so run away n00b :devious:

Shows how much you know. No such thing as correct l33t.
|\|00|3
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 29 Oct 2006, 19:47

I read TTs comment there I reinstalled both homeworlds and passed them from begining to the end once more.And this time on hard
in one day!

pfft, indeed.

what a maroon.

Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 30 Oct 2006, 01:35

Necropolis.

I love getting free troops. :D

And I've always liked my upgraded Vampires.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 30 Oct 2006, 03:18

I can't believe how poorly inferno has fared, they are so much fun to play .... but maybe that's just me *sighs*
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 30 Oct 2006, 03:48

Voted Haven. Now for the reasoning....

Dungeon is too irrational plus their magic is weak.
Necropolis was a candidate for favorite faction but they didn't make it :/
Inferno was a great candidate but the Horned Demons blew it.
Sylvan was one of the prime candidates but fell on the finishing line (better defense then attack skill of the heroes)
Academy was one of the prime candidates which didn't make it due to the extreme costs, some bad units and designflawed implementation of the knowledge skill affecting artifacts (the knowledge stat doesn't update the artifacts on the fly).

I go with Haven since it's a SOLID faction that got powerful troops at every tier. Together with the matching heroes their solid units get better at every lvl. The light dependency on resources helps, but the extreme gold cost is a constant thorn in my side.

My skill choice is the following:
Leadership
Logistics
Attack
Warmachines
Light Magic

Defence isn't used much and if a unit falls I can always ressurect it.
Warmachines is always used and will help me far more then defence that might be used sometime.

F.e those Archmages or Master Hunters would kill of a little of everything/sizable chunk of a stack and defence would help reduce the casualties by approximetly 40% while Warmachines would severly hurt the opposing stack and ressurect the troops that fell to their initial onslaught.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 30 Oct 2006, 04:07

I can't believe how poorly inferno has fared, they are so much fun to play .... but maybe that's just me *sighs*
not just you.

I voted Inferno too. IMO, best special (especially against human opponents), heroes are well balanced with skills and attributes, armies have good balance of attack and speed.

succubus are effective units and look great.

I always swap out the model of nymus for that of biara and play that hero.

the extra gating/level really helps out after level 10 or so.

there simply is no better faction for sieging a castle than an inferno army plus a hero with urgash's call.

heck, at level 20 or so, biara (nymus) can summon stacks that are sometimes larger than the original stacks, and can place them anywhere on the BF.

sorry, but that beats nature's luck any day.

oh, horned overseers + teleport assault is vicious too.

*boom*

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 30 Oct 2006, 04:24

completely true, all of that Sir Toejam, maybe you and I and eight others are the only ones to see that! :D
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 30 Oct 2006, 04:38

I look at it as a positive. the more folks that don't get how powerful inferno is in multiplayer, the more they wil find out the hard way.

*shrug*

of course, with enough gold, haven will still beat anything out there just by sheer numbers.

you almost have to have inferno or necro to have a chance against them, unless the map is seriously gimped for cash.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 30 Oct 2006, 04:54

Sir_Toejam wrote: in one day!

pfft, indeed.

what a maroon.
Sorry...There,Im doing it again...Glad to bum you down like this,but it took me one day to finish 1,and 1 day to finish 2 :devious:
Campaigner wrote:Voted Haven. Now for the reasoning....
But it is sooooooooooooo boring! :snore:

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 30 Oct 2006, 05:03

ah, i see the thing is that the original post was back in July.

I still don't buy you finished either in one day though, since you spend the vast majority of your time posting on CH, AFAICT.

what, were you entering messages with one hand and playing the game with the other?

or are you just playing with yourself with both hands as I write this?

Return to “Heroes V-VI”