We all played HOMM V for some time and it's time to choose..

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

What is your favorite faction in HOMM V?

Heaven
10%
Inferno
12%
Necropolis
24%
Dungeon
23%
Sylvan
16%
Academy
15%

Total votes: 164

howgrizzly
Peasant
Peasant
Location: Somewhere out there in the Infernal Plane (Near 52°07'N 20°38'E)

Unread postby howgrizzly » 18 Jul 2006, 15:34

Omega_Destroyer wrote:(...) Necromancy, while not as powerful as before, it is a lot more balanced. Being able to raise legions of skeleton archers is a good idea, as opposed to raising 3 vampires after each battle.(...)
Well I don't think it's balanced. And I think the creatures raised should be equal tier with the killed ones. They should also "tune" the Raise dead spell.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster
and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes into you."
Friedrich Nietzsche

"How long can any man fight the darkness before he finds it in himself." - Sounds familiar? :D

SCum
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SCum » 18 Jul 2006, 15:37

howgrizzly wrote:
SCum wrote:Hm. Necropolis.

There is just something enchanting with the undead, as it is. Then the fact you get to play out the hordes of skeletal beings.. Well, it just adds to that dream.

Not that I have dreams of raising the dead to slaughter the living.. Not at all.
Muahahahah :D that was nice(creepy). I think that the Archangels look enchanting and I don't like the Angels anime-look. I think that their head isn't the best thing they could do.
I actually find the angels/archangels quite lovely. Anime-ish or not, which I find to be quite a moot point anyway, if it fits in with the game(Now that opinion varies alot, so let's not get into it), go with it.
As a note on them, I will stick by believing they are indeed male, which would make sense if they are anime-ish. Stereotypically, don't the females have very long hair? I prefer the archangel, though. Has a more divine look to it(An It now, even..).

But as said, by The Omega, generally the Necropolis units were indeed well done and made the faction whole.. Walking dead and immortality is just too charming to pass up for me. (Though I guess no one is really immortal except the heroes)

howgrizzly
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby howgrizzly » 18 Jul 2006, 15:41

I think that the whole game graphics is nicely done (well almost - gargoyles). Many people can kill me for this but I actually like the new genie looks (ofcourse i also liked it with a head :devil: )

By the way those gargoyles should brake in pieces if they are destroyed.
Friedrich Nietzsche

"How long can any man fight the darkness before he finds it in himself." - Sounds familiar? :D

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 18 Jul 2006, 19:44

Yeah, I thought the genie looked better with a head too. And I also agree that the gargoyles should crumble when defeated.

wolf8t8t
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Finally

Unread postby wolf8t8t » 19 Jul 2006, 03:40

People who see that the undead are the greatest faction available. Yes it is true that zombies and bone dragons are worthless but come on everything is dirt cheap. besides Plague zombies are kinda of useful, use them as blockers and use their attack to soak up retaliations. It kinda works.... and ghosts.... don't upgrade them. Altho I would rather do this.... get rid of the dragons completely and replace them with stronger death knights.

and for those that don't know what a squid is.... look in the mirror. And now for something you'll really love! Knights in Heroes one was the best faction ever!! I once fought zero paladins and got my @ss handed to me.... true story. AND Jo Josh was the greatest hero ever! I remember the computer used him with the zero paladins. Nothing could stop them! I use the gargoyle effect for about an hour and then just said F it. :disagree:

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 19 Jul 2006, 06:47

SCum wrote:
I actually find the angels/archangels quite lovely. Anime-ish or not, which I find to be quite a moot point anyway, if it fits in with the game(Now that opinion varies alot, so let's not get into it), go with it.
As a note on them, I will stick by believing they are indeed male, which would make sense if they are anime-ish. Stereotypically, don't the females have very long hair? I prefer the archangel, though. Has a more divine look to it(An It now, even..).
Angels are often thought of as being androgynous, their souls being like those of little children.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 19 Jul 2006, 07:40

I think assigning a certain sex to angels is irrelevant.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 19 Jul 2006, 09:26

couldn't agree more tLD

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Finally

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 19 Jul 2006, 10:05

wolf8t8t wrote:and for those that don't know what a squid is.... look in the mirror.
And if you ever want to know what a troll looks like, you do the same. One more insult out of you and you're banned.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 19 Jul 2006, 10:17

without commenting on anything in particular, let me just say what a wonderful night this is

howgrizzly
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby howgrizzly » 19 Jul 2006, 10:54

When you wrote this it's noon in Poland :D, and a sunny one i must say.
Friedrich Nietzsche

thecheese
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby thecheese » 19 Jul 2006, 16:28

Theres no answer to this question, which is why I didn't vote. There's a million reasons that one can be better than the other (yes even Necro can be beaten by any race, its just tactics, though their ease may make them more appealing). They each have their own reasons.

Haven gets points for light magic being so easily obtained, which is great when you get resurrect, but it takes more work than raise dead. Overall solid units, and Imperial Griffins have to be my favorite unit in this faction. Not to mention that, should the scenario arise that the player is excessively rich, that training offers the undeniably greater skill of all the races. Your raise dead wont mean shit against the 300 conscripts that i just trained into Paladins.

Inferno spells and units can combine for some of the best speed tactics available in the game. Get about 300 Horned Overseers, cast mass slow, mass confusion, and teleport assault, and you've just won the prize. Not to mention their large knowledge pool allowing for greater use of summon creature. And I shouldn't have to explain why gating owns. They kind of lose out with speed, though.

Sylvan has a very overall strong unit base, with the troop specials being frequent and powerful (warding arrow, blind). Master hunters save the day, and Treants are the best thing to ever happen to a seige defense.

Dungeon obviously wins out on the individual troop level, and initial management of your forces is necessary to minimize losses, making them generally more difficult to play. Their heroes can stand alone as an army, though, which gets better later on. Deep Hydras are also great against the AI, since they rarely get targetted until you already have about 50 of them, and by then its too late.

I could go on, but you guys get the idea. And Wolf, it might've been said, and I kinda skimmed through the last few pages but, this is a benevolent community, and someone sprouting "noob" and justifying their position only by bashing others will not be welcomed here. This might be the internet, but have a sense of etiquette no matter where you are; you'd do well to keep such a lesson in mind for life, in general.

howgrizzly
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby howgrizzly » 19 Jul 2006, 16:44

"thecheese" that was a nice post and if you like all the factions (although you didn't metion Academy) than vote for a low voted faction to even the odds.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 19 Jul 2006, 16:49

Very well said "thecheese."

thecheese
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby thecheese » 19 Jul 2006, 19:26

Admittedly, I've had very little experience using the academy faction. On the surface, I can comment on each of the units individually, but I've not had enough experience with an endgame Academy town or high level hero to make the statements I did about the others.

As for Necropolis, the main issue is raise dead and its overall favoring of that faction. I've always been of the mindset that H2 had it best with the two levels of the spell. In this game's case, I would almost want to make a reanimate dead spell for the 5th tier while remaking the current one to just be a battle-only raise, but the problem with that would be that it would then be a 5th level spell that could only affect one faction. Perhaps 4th tier with a relatively low chance for appearing in Necropolis towns and a next-to-none chance of appearing in other summoning-oriented towns would be best. Necropolis has its highlights outside of raise dead, of course, what with all the immunities being undead brings, as well as a very strong hero ability line. Basic reliance on undead qualities and assimilation of other races into the indead ranks, along with more mainstream basic and advanced tactics, are what the Necropolis does rely on, and always has.

And it's kind of weird to see my name in quotes all the time, so call me cheese, if you have to call me anything. :P

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Jul 2006, 20:03

howgrizzly wrote:"thecheese" that was a nice post and if you like all the factions (although you didn't metion Academy) than vote for a low voted faction to even the odds.
Maybe you really shouldve add the I cant decide,or like them all the same option.

wolf8t8t
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Ok fine

Unread postby wolf8t8t » 19 Jul 2006, 21:32

I"ll respect everyone's opinion like it's my own.... :D

howgrizzly
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby howgrizzly » 20 Jul 2006, 07:17

DaemianLucifer wrote:
howgrizzly wrote:"thecheese" that was a nice post and if you like all the factions (although you didn't metion Academy) than vote for a low voted faction to even the odds.
Maybe you really shouldve add the I cant decide,or like them all the same option.
As I wrote before I can't edit the poll itself and I didn't think of that option when I created the poll.

cheese is it bad that people quote you?
Friedrich Nietzsche

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 20 Jul 2006, 14:45

howgrizzly wrote: Muahahahah :D that was nice(creepy). I think that the Archangels look enchanting and I don't like the Angels anime-look. I think that their head isn't the best thing they could do.
Ah please, the angels are NOT anime, If they were I would beg for a mod!
They neither have pyramid like heads, BIG, wide eyes or the feel of anime IMO.
wolf8 is a noobish yerk, lack in respect and attitude one of those classic anti noob-"Im hardCORE so watch your ass, I gonna kick you and call you noob even if you arent" agendas. IMO he clearly need to be banned out of CH and HRT, simple as that. or are we too kind here?
:offtopic:

But enough rambling with that. on topic

Yeah besides sylvan being my nr.1. Necropolis and Inferno goes for 2nd and 3rd. I like the dark gothic style of the necros and the 3 moon panorama view :D among other things, the vamps gotta be the best looking, though the skel dragons may be useless, they along with most other 7lvl units fit very well for backup and distraction. The skellies themself are funny, with their crazy look and behaviour :D . I also like the enraging look of inferno, chaotic, all and everything set on fire, yeah its clearly hell in that lava pit :devil: Succubi , the pit lords,..yeah everyone looks cool....hot, and those cute, vicious little imps and familiars (Im gonna steal your mana mehehehe) :devil: really place the dot over the I.
The structures in both those towns really fits their theme, looks battered and ancient and not at least dark and mystic.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Jul 2006, 17:43

Orfinn wrote: Ah please, the angels are NOT anime, If they were I would beg for a mod!
They neither have pyramid like heads, BIG, wide eyes or the feel of anime IMO.
Thats manga,not anime.Angels are influenced by FF,and that one is anime.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”