We all played HOMM V for some time and it's time to choose..

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

What is your favorite faction in HOMM V?

Heaven
10%
Inferno
12%
Necropolis
24%
Dungeon
23%
Sylvan
16%
Academy
15%

Total votes: 164

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Re: Dudes!

Unread postby omegaweix » 15 Jul 2006, 14:27

wolf8t8t wrote: ....As for empowerment and their heroes it's direct damage noob strategy. I like necro because you have to think to be them...
Ehm, sorry, how hard do you have to think to win with zillions of level one Skeleton archers (gained with almost no effort by hiring, necromancy and stuff)?
And supported by vampires and wraiths you can barely lose!

By the way, i hate this expert-master-hardcoregamers-insider-slang-thingie when used only to feel superior over beginners, casual-gamers and other..... such like n00b, w00t, kfrsktglglgl!
If you are a big fish, good for you... but condemning every other strategy/playstyle that is popular and not in your taste as unsophisticated and lame shows a pretty unstable and unappealing character!

(Sorry i couldn't resist but:) Leave and continue playing counterstrike (or similar) and spam all chats with rows of "n00000000bs" !!!

edit:
MrSteamTank wrote: ....Pretty unique and the fact that a flying tombstone is delivering death is pretty ironic. :-D
Yes, THAT'S why i like them :D
Last edited by omegaweix on 15 Jul 2006, 15:54, edited 2 times in total.
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Jul 2006, 14:30

wolf8t8t wrote:Your all a bunch of noobs! Warlock is ok but their units cost an arm and a leg and you get very little of them. As for empowerment and their heroes it's direct damage noob strategy. I like necro because you have to think to be them. Haven is also very well rounded.
Oh sure,you really need no thought in placing your grim raiders and using your blood witches to the max.You really need no thought in speeding up hydras enough to make them deliver a punch.Pretty brainles.Yet there is much more though in casting spirit link on skel archers then raise dead,then raise dead,then raise dead again.Honestly,I dont remember using any other spell during the whole necro campaign.

howgrizzly
Peasant
Peasant
Location: Somewhere out there in the Infernal Plane (Near 52°07'N 20°38'E)

Unread postby howgrizzly » 15 Jul 2006, 15:07

DaemianLucifer wrote:
wolf8t8t wrote:Your all a bunch of noobs! Warlock is ok but their units cost an arm and a leg and you get very little of them. As for empowerment and their heroes it's direct damage noob strategy. I like necro because you have to think to be them. Haven is also very well rounded.
Oh sure,you really need no thought in placing your grim raiders and using your blood witches to the max.You really need no thought in speeding up hydras enough to make them deliver a punch.Pretty brainles.Yet there is much more though in casting spirit link on skel archers then raise dead,then raise dead,then raise dead again.Honestly,I dont remember using any other spell during the whole necro campaign.
Yes, thats's the WORD Brother :D
I hate all those master-pro-bastards who make all the game-high scores.
there is no fun in this s#*t.
Go play CS.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster
and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes into you."
Friedrich Nietzsche

"How long can any man fight the darkness before he finds it in himself." - Sounds familiar? :D

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 15 Jul 2006, 15:11

I voted Inferno.

Was there ever any doubt? :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 15 Jul 2006, 15:18

Bandobras Took wrote:I voted Inferno.

Was there ever any doubt? :)
I have to say at first I was afraid of using inferno. I didn't like how so many units are walkers, all except the slow devil and the succubus.

However, now that I have played them a few times, I really like hellfire and hellwraith, consume corpse, and using the imps to drain enemy mana is really fun.

My order right now of favorites is:

1. Dungeon
2. Academy
3. Inferno
4. Haven
5. Necro
6. Sylvan

I've always been into the sorceress town right through Heroes IV but this incarnation is not so great for me.

(P.S. - talk about good strategy, irresistble magic overrides the infernal immunity to chain lightning.) There is nothing wrong with using destruction magic and it is hardly a noob strategy. With empowerment or mark of the wizard it can be quite powerful.

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 15 Jul 2006, 15:20

DaemianLucifer wrote:Oh sure,you really need no thought in placing your grim raiders and using your blood witches to the max.You really need no thought in speeding up hydras enough to make them deliver a punch.Pretty brainles.Yet there is much more though in casting spirit link on skel archers then raise dead,then raise dead,then raise dead again.Honestly,I dont remember using any other spell during the whole necro campaign.
No, you are all no0oobs, necropolis is actually the hardest faction to play, and requires r0XxOrz strategy and l33t heroes to be competitive against other factions.. You first need Summoning Magic, and then you need, like, to fight a lot, and then you need to have, umm, Necromancy to max to p4wn enemies! :D..

Seriously, I'd like to hear how playing Necropolis involves more strategy than other factions. Even though they are my favorite faction, I don't pick them to be fair to others for all you need to do is have summon/defence/attack and the rest doesn't matter.. You don't need luck unless you are a ruthless person :) and don't need even Dark Magic because you are too busy casting Raise Dead anyway..

I voted Inferno, as I play with them in MP games. They are such underdogs that you are safe for a good time, especially if you play against strangers.. They like to prioritize against Necropolis, Haven and Sylvan until they realize (almost always too late) that I can employ an army that will wipe out half of theirs in the first turn before they can even attack...

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 15 Jul 2006, 15:50

Half naked females + drows = FTW!

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 15 Jul 2006, 16:15

I enjoy all of them. Each has a distinctive 'way'. I suppose I have the most fun with Inferno because of the tactical possibilities of Gating and the varied lineup of creatures. Sylvan is more of a challenge, because you have to choose your battles and mind your losses. Haven is all about the gold (for promotions) and Necropolis is about wiping up on low levels. Dungeon and Academy have some cool buildings, but I'm not excited by their creature lineups of specials.

(And add me to the list of Djinn haters. Raksashas, too. Gargoyles are OK.)
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 15 Jul 2006, 19:56

I tought that my favourite would be academy because I am alwaya a wizard, but I started to like Sylvan. If wizard units just didn't look so crapy (gargoyles, titan and especial djins!!).
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 15 Jul 2006, 20:04

Nah titans are cool enough, at least they remind of duke nukem and have the similar attitude, until the Duke himself arrives to wreak havoc in the FPS genre B-) But agree with the gargs and djinns, well all that is a matter of each persons opinion ;)

Mightor Magic
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mightor Magic » 15 Jul 2006, 20:23

Inferno, but it's hard to say why exactly. They only have 1 ranged unit, 1 caster, 1 teleporter, no fliers. But the more I used them, the more I realized they don't need a balanced army.

My greatest Inferno moment: When my 18 Archdevils gated in 23 Archdevils in the last battle of a MP map. Now that was a castle siege.

Hellfire is such an fun skill that a simple Imp can eventually hit for over a hundred points of fire damage and I love using Marked of the Damn on units with unlimited retaliation, just for the fun of it.

And that's why: they're fun.

My second favorite faction are the Necros, except I use Attack, Defense, Logistics and {here's where I'm different} Dark Magic. I prefer to minimize loses not play for maximum loses so I can show off how much of a single stack I can raise.

Odolwa
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Dungeon is the best 4 me

Unread postby Odolwa » 15 Jul 2006, 20:59

My vote fell on Dungeon :)

But I'm a bit disappointed in you, howgrizzly. You should had been able to spell "Haven" correct :disagree:

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 15 Jul 2006, 21:20

Odolwa wrote: But I'm a bit disappointed in you, howgrizzly. You should had been able to spell "Haven" correct :disagree:
It's a common mistake throughout the community.... maybe the link with Archangels helped to spread that too.

And the eye is always lazy.... so show mercy ! ;)
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

Bonzer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Bonzer » 15 Jul 2006, 21:26

Necropolis. Always liked them before, but now with Skeleton Archers and Eternal Servitude....

For me the Lich Retaliation graphics always make smile. Thay seem to be so effortless in their response, almost as if the opponent is beneath them. Seems like they draw their blade, hold it by fingertips as they swipe, sheath and fold arms as if to say, "Yawn, NEXT!"

The music is good as well.
We will either find a way, or we will make one. Emperor Hannibal.

ChinaBlue
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ChinaBlue » 15 Jul 2006, 22:04

But I'm a bit disappointed in you, howgrizzly. You should had been able to spell "Haven" correct :disagree:
He apologized for it.
And I almost feel like I have to apologize for choosing Haven as my favorite faction but..yes it is. Archers, griffins, cavaliers and angels suit me best. But I do enjoy every other castle, needless to say they all have there certain attractive features which makes homm homm. I'm very pleased with Inferno and Necropolis which i've never voluntarily touched in H3.
And Academy definitely has the best looking town screen.

howgrizzly
Peasant
Peasant
Location: Somewhere out there in the Infernal Plane (Near 52°07'N 20°38'E)

Unread postby howgrizzly » 15 Jul 2006, 22:13

ChinaBlue wrote:
He apologized for it.
And I almost feel like I have to apologize for choosing Haven as my favorite faction but..yes it is. Archers, griffins, cavaliers and angels suit me best. But I do enjoy every other castle, needless to say they all have there certain attractive features which makes homm homm. I'm very pleased with Inferno and Necropolis which i've never voluntarily touched in H3.
And Academy definitely has the best looking town screen.
Thanks for noticing my apologising post.
As for Haven I also have it in my mind. With peasant + that hero that doubles gold income from them and training units it becomes a forbidable enemy (Marksmen). And as for Dungeon and Inferno in H3 they were my favorites.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster
and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes into you."
Friedrich Nietzsche

"How long can any man fight the darkness before he finds it in himself." - Sounds familiar? :D

wolf8t8t
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

It seems like I hit a nerve here,

Unread postby wolf8t8t » 15 Jul 2006, 22:16

Well let me say this... there is no strategy when you use warlock. The whole campaign was empower meteor shower. As for their heroes.... get destructive magic and sorcery. WOW.... That was sooooo tough! As a necromancer you have to be more selective in what you get. You need to use skill and half a brain... something that most you don't have. In fact I'm going out on a limb and say that most of you enjoyed the story of the campaign. Pick a large map, I'll be necro and I'll whip anyone man... or woman enough to challenge me! NOOBS In short put up a challenge or forever hold your peace.

Wolf

Cold Fingers
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Cold Fingers » 15 Jul 2006, 23:09

Best Post EVER!111oneoneleven
:applause:

urbanmonk
Scout
Scout

Unread postby urbanmonk » 15 Jul 2006, 23:18

Don't have a favorite yet (still working on campainges).
Probably be Sylvan, Haven, then Necropollis though.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: It seems like I hit a nerve here,

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 Jul 2006, 02:48

wolf8t8t wrote:Well let me say this... there is no strategy when you use warlock. The whole campaign was empower meteor shower. As for their heroes.... get destructive magic and sorcery. WOW.... That was sooooo tough! As a necromancer you have to be more selective in what you get. You need to use skill and half a brain... something that most you don't have. In fact I'm going out on a limb and say that most of you enjoyed the story of the campaign. Pick a large map, I'll be necro and I'll whip anyone man... or woman enough to challenge me! NOOBS In short put up a challenge or forever hold your peace.

Wolf
Well of course you will,because necro is overpowered.Any map bigger than small,and you have the advantage.Simple as that.And if all you used with warlock is empowered meteor shower,then its you that is a noob.First of all,against ranged units,that one doesnt work that well.Just spread them in two corners,and it becomes a waste of mana to cast it.Second,if they are spread in corners,youll have quite a time reaching them,even with the fast blood maiden(and youll lose a lot of them in that process).Plus empwered meteor shower does some 1000 damage(2000 with luck),so its not quite that powerfull.

And one more thing,please refere from name calling.Its just an obvious showing of insecurity,and poor raising skills of the parrents.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”