About patch 1.2

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 14 Jul 2006, 03:57

This is about patch 1.2,not the map editor.We arent certain that it will contain the map editor.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 14 Jul 2006, 04:02

well im certain it won't

howgrizzly
Peasant
Peasant
Location: Somewhere out there in the Infernal Plane (Near 52°07'N 20°38'E)

Unread postby howgrizzly » 14 Jul 2006, 05:53

If you read the interview at Archangel Castle that you KNOW that the map editor was planned for 1.3 patch
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster
and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes into you."
Friedrich Nietzsche

"How long can any man fight the darkness before he finds it in himself." - Sounds familiar? :D

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 14 Jul 2006, 06:04

exactly my point

howgrizzly
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby howgrizzly » 14 Jul 2006, 13:46

I also wandered lately whats with the balancing. Is it inplimented with every patch or will it be taken care of in some other one?
Friedrich Nietzsche

"How long can any man fight the darkness before he finds it in himself." - Sounds familiar? :D

GatorG
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby GatorG » 14 Jul 2006, 15:49

The map editor was planned for August, which means we'll get it in October hopefully. G (-:

howgrizzly
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby howgrizzly » 14 Jul 2006, 17:06

GatorG wrote:The map editor was planned for August, which means we'll get it in October hopefully. G (-:
Please don't even think so 8| . I just hope to wake up tommorow and see that the patch 1.2 is out.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 15 Jul 2006, 00:56

Bandobras Took wrote:
Caradoc wrote: So what could the matter be? Is it badly broken? Does it require technology they do not own? Are they putting in some sort of copyright protection?
There is another possibility:

They may be trying to make scripting more friendly to non-programmers (one of the major problems with the initial release of Neverwinter Nights was that you essentially needed to know C in order to use the toolset with anything remotely resembling competence).

I'm not saying that's the case, but we shouldn't limit our imagination in coming up with reasons for delay.

My personal favorite is that a legion of chimpanzees armed with stress-relief squishy balls has gotten into the crawlspaces of the ventilation system. I don't think that one's too likely, though. :)

Anyway, I'm eager for the release of the Map Editor, but there is a difference between an editor that the design team can use and one the general public can use.
Excellent point. However, one might imagine that they could first come out with a simple editor without scripting capabilities. And there are many mapmakers who program well enough to handle some 'raw' code. Myself, since I know C well (I was there when in was B), I found the NWN system was more inconvenient than unusable.

Let's hope the bright side of this is that they intend to support the editor and encourage its use.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 15 Jul 2006, 01:12

Well I certainly hope that, since we have had to wait significantly past the release date of the game, that when the editor is released it is released in a complete state, scripting and everything .... it would be a shame to have to wait even longer for a finished map editor

i want the mapmaking geniuses out there to really be able to get into the editor and create some magic for the fans to admire and enjoy

koganei83
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby koganei83 » 15 Jul 2006, 02:13

they are really taking forever...

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 15 Jul 2006, 07:52

Ubisoft is really seeming like its following EA's footsteps when it comes to game development. I hope they prove me wrong soon but by the looks of it. :S

howgrizzly
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby howgrizzly » 15 Jul 2006, 09:11

stefan.urlus wrote:i want the mapmaking geniuses out there to really be able to get into the editor and create some magic for the fans to admire and enjoy
Here, here brother B-)
Friedrich Nietzsche

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 15 Jul 2006, 09:48

The map editor won't be in patch 1.2.
That's the mp play patch. And it's taking so long because there have been problems to get things really running. As far as I know the whole mp part has been rewritten, and the last infos from Russia look positive, finally.
But that has nothing to do with the editor which is something else completely.
With the editor there were two main areas of work at the point of game release.
The first area is that it is too powerful. It is completely possible with that tool to, inadvertantly, make a map-specific setting work for the whole game. This is perfectly okay when the designers are working with it, but it's clearly a no-go option when people around the world are starting to make maps. That means, the editor must not be allowed to change game specifics.
The second area is streamlining (most of) the capabilities into easy-to-use functions.
A pdf documentation is planned.
However, the editor won't be localized, so that means there will only be an English version for each country.
IF patch 1.2 is released next week (which is likely), I'd estimate the editor being ready for the patch late August as the earliest possible date.
There is a very clear list of things to do (the necessary stuff) and of things planned (the good but not necessary stuff) and my guess is that they will do the to-do stuff, check the calendar and then make a decision of what to implement of the planned features in order to get a halfway decent compromise between date of release and content.
What I tell you now is a prediction or a guess, I have no info currently to back that, but for me it looks like they will aim for a timely editor release with the option to patch additional "candy" for the editor in future patches and addon releases.

howgrizzly
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby howgrizzly » 15 Jul 2006, 10:42

Jolly Joker wrote:The map editor won't be in patch 1.2.
We already knew that, but as for the rest of your post, it make's me little calmer, esecialy about the patch (Maybe) next week.
THX 4 da info. :devil:
Friedrich Nietzsche

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 15 Jul 2006, 16:33

Jolly Joker wrote:It is completely possible with that tool to, inadvertantly, make a map-specific setting work for the whole game. This is perfectly okay when the designers are working with it, but it's clearly a no-go option when people around the world are starting to make maps. That means, the editor must not be allowed to change game specifics.
That's understandable, but makes one wonder why it was implemented that way to begin with.

The end of August seems a long way off. Especially for company that has a hard time with schedules. I'm already sick of the maps that are available.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 15 Jul 2006, 16:56

Thanks for the news JJ. As you can tell there is a calming effect when people know what's going on & why.

It will be nice [hopefully in September - October] to see good quality maps pouring out!!!

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 15 Jul 2006, 19:10

I really want the Map Editor for this excellent game and hope it's at least as decent as H4 editor.

But map editor should have been priority, not MP.

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 15 Jul 2006, 19:31

Humakt wrote:I really want the Map Editor for this excellent game and hope it's at least as decent as H4 editor.
But map editor should have been priority, not MP.
Amen to that brother!!!!!!
The 1.2 patch was suppose to be released during the last 2 weeks of June, the 3rd patch released during the last two weeks of July and so forth.. But now we know Nival/UBI's word is worthless and they ignore the fans so we all sit and play their asinine silent 'wait' game at their convenience so we might be lucky to see anything before this years winter holidays.. I am not into MP so if that is all the 1.2 patch is going to cover, it isn't going to be anything I look forward to.. The Editor should have been the first thing sent out.. but I doubt if we will see any editor before the winter holidays at this rate IF we see it then.. sigh

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 15 Jul 2006, 19:48

Gah! If you want them to make a great map editor, of course is there going to take a while, do you want it now maybe, rushed and unpolished as the game itself or what? Suck it up and be patient, making things great takes time, faulty promises or not, from UBI and Nival sides!

Bonzer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Bonzer » 15 Jul 2006, 21:44

I agree with Orfinn, best to wait until anything released works properly, as long as it does work properly!

BTW - Will it be possible to patch from version 1.0 straight to 1.2? Or will I have to have 1.1 in place first? Not a great fan of patches at the best of times.
We will either find a way, or we will make one. Emperor Hannibal.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”