Coatl, an alternative name to Naga for snake people.

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

What would you like a half-serpent race to be called?

Naga
55%
Coatl
30%
Other
15%

Total votes: 40

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Coatl, an alternative name to Naga for snake people.

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Jul 2006, 19:01

As i have already said, I don't want a whole race to be called Naga in the HoMM universe, just a lvl6, six-armed Naga.

So here's an alternative, and a poll to see which is more popular.

If you vote other please specify what exactly.

Oh, and the people that vote Naga: I'll find out where you live and flail you alive you bastiches. j/k :gun:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 10 Jul 2006, 19:18

I don't want a whole race to be called elves, just a level three Elf, the archer one.
Not that I actually want it, but point taken.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Jul 2006, 19:31

And how many elves are there in 1 town? 3 at least. If they make the race Naga they'll feel the need to have more then 1 six-armed snake critter. This can easily be avoided if the change the name, and use Medusa's and stuff. And i'm sure they can find other SnakePeople in mythology.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 10 Jul 2006, 19:47

I don't want a whole "town race" a la elves at all. However, if it must be, Naga is a better choice. I'd rather have a mighty six-armed serpent with a human torso as the defining creature than a wimpy serpent:
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Jul 2006, 20:16

Coatl = Snake. So half-snake people would fit also. Unless you want Nagas to have multiple faces and sht. And have the females called Nagini.

The snake you used is a watered down version of a snake god. Using Coatl also fits with having an Oriental Dragon at lvl7, as they resemble Quetzalcoatl,and are associated with water.

I ust want the lvl 6 creature called Naga, not anything else, which if the trend continues she won't be (Hunters anyone?).

But hey, if you like Sword Juggler or Marilith as a name....
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 10 Jul 2006, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 10 Jul 2006, 20:19

I like the wimpy serpent idea more to work with if they make the town.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 10 Jul 2006, 20:39

ThunderTitan wrote: The snake you used is a watered down version of a snake god.
It's NWC's take on a Couatl, and probably the wimpyest creature in MM8. It would be quite a gain in power to let it have a town of it's own. If there should be a "Naga town", I'm hoping that each kind of creature is only used once, but with Naga as level 6 or 7. But there are two other races that I think are more likely to appear first, seeing as they're more Fantasy Standard, and that's what the whole world seems to be- perhaps not to the point of being cliche, but not very original either.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Odolwa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Odolwa » 10 Jul 2006, 20:43

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 10 Jul 2006, 20:51

Voted coatl.

I dont mind having multiple nagas.Beats having multiple elves and humans.But I also dont want stupid names like for my nagas,so coatl is better for a race.And Id also like to see medusas with nagas.

Also,TT if you got angry when someone says that vampires looks romanian,imagine how chinese would feel for having their dragon called coatl(and you cant eradicate the chinese as easily as we eradicated aztecs :devious: )

LordHoborgXVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LordHoborgXVII » 10 Jul 2006, 21:38

I'd have to go for naga, and include them as a unit rather than as a race. The defining factor is that we've seen nagas in previous HoMM games, and Coatl is certainly a term less referenced, so replacing naga with coatl wouldn't work very well. I would much rather attack a town with a group of good old six-armed nagas rather than with an assortment of obscure creatures whose names I don't really associate with anything and which may or may not be perceived as a filler unit, bascially the problem with the gorgons in H3.

Of course, it might work fairly well introducing a separate coatl unit as a high-level mob, but using the name to replace the nagas, or making a whole race out of them, would certainly be a blow to HoMM lore.

however, Nival isn't quite as zealous with their races as we're making them look. They replaced nagas with Rakshasas and managed to refrain from making a whole rakshasa town, so it can't be all bad. I would be much happier to see the h3-style naga back though.
Happy Millenium!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Jul 2006, 22:05

DaemianLucifer wrote: Also,TT if you got angry when someone says that vampires looks romanian,imagine how chinese would feel for having their dragon called coatl(and you cant eradicate the chinese as easily as we eradicated aztecs :devious: )
I didn't really got angry. And Quetzalcoatl resmbles the Chinese Dragon alot. The reason i said use caotl for an Oriental dragon was to not use dragon in it's name, while making everyone understand how the creature looks like.

@LordHoborgXVII

You missunderstood. My point was that if they use the name Naga for the whole race the old six-armed HoMM Naga might find itself with another name. Or just gone.

Wood/Grand Elves are called Hunters instead of elves now. I don't want the Naga called something else.

LordHoborgXVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LordHoborgXVII » 10 Jul 2006, 22:55

I know, I was just examining some other options besides what you proposed and talking about them too.

But yeah it would be a pity if they created a whole race of nagas without keeping the old h3-4 nagas in.
Happy Millenium!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Jul 2006, 23:22

Anyone care to dig for more alternatives?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reptilian_humanoid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reptilian_ ... in_fiction

Chitauri/Chitahuri; Sheti ("Snake-Brothers"); Yuan-Ti; Acua:

TinBane
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TinBane » 11 Jul 2006, 04:12

A coatyl is more akin to a dragon, it is a large feathered flying reptile with loads of power and magic.

Naga, is a better name for a 'human equivalent' race of reptile.

Slaan is another possibility, although it may be under dnd copyright?

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 11 Jul 2006, 05:51

I wouldn't want a whole race named Naga, that would make little sense after Homm III and IV.. Coatl seems to be the better choice, as we don't have Knights but Haven, Elves but Sylvan, Undead but Necropolis etc.

And by the way, no more than one naga please, what are you going to call the second one, 'two armed Naga', or 'slightly wimpier looking Naga'? I'm sure they can find many creatures in mythology that has something to do with snakes, or they can use Might and Magic series... I remember Dragonflies being pesky but dangerous creatures in M&M VII, they can easily be tier 1 or 2 creatures, Gorgons can be level 7 (in Greek mythology Gorgons are extremely powerful, with one being the bodyguard of Zeus), and a human caster unit with a name like "Snake handler", like the Indian fakirs, can be a quite cool surprise...

Imhotep145
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Imhotep145 » 11 Jul 2006, 10:52

sorry, gotta say naga. but i am biased; coatl just seems more specific from my old dnd days. besides, a whole race of either doesnt make too much sense in this game (to me).

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Jul 2006, 12:01

@Imhotep145

Then vote other.

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 11 Jul 2006, 13:47

Well look at academy. They only have one human unit even though it is a human race. The same could be with the naga race.

Anyways look at warcraft to see examples of nagas being wildly different. The male and female were completely different from each other and 2 naga is probably enough to warrant calling them a naga race.

As for at possibilities I could easily see a mayan/aztec influence in the race in general. It would fit and look really nice if done properly.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Jul 2006, 13:53

MrSteamTank wrote:Well look at academy. They only have one human unit even though it is a human race. The same could be with the naga race.
1 out of 5. Yeah, that really get my hopes up. And lets not even mention how they're supposed to be wizards, not a race.

And an Aztec/Maya flavor would justify Coatl even more.

And even if the Naga's look different from one another my beloved Six-Armed lvl 6 will probably not be called Naga. :(

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 11 Jul 2006, 14:32

ThunderTitan wrote:
MrSteamTank wrote:Well look at academy. They only have one human unit even though it is a human race. The same could be with the naga race.
1 out of 5. Yeah, that really get my hopes up. And lets not even mention how they're supposed to be wizards, not a race.

And an Aztec/Maya flavor would justify Coatl even more.

And even if the Naga's look different from one another my beloved Six-Armed lvl 6 will probably not be called Naga. :(
Maybe the race won't be called coatl but a unit in their arsenal by that name seems a high probability if they do go with the aztec theme. Anyways the names aren't all that important to be honest as long as the art holds up and the faction as a whole looks unique.

Imagine an aztec town carved and built into a jungle waterfall cliff face with the buildings half protruding out of the river. Man if done well that would be absolutely gorgeous.

Anyways you can get creative with a race like this.

Look at the possibilities
http://www.rabbitvalley.com/image_cache/2535.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Warcraft_Naga.jpg

http://www.hennessy.id.au/satanic_lulla ... ardman.jpg

http://www.nonsolomartelli.net/Images3/ ... ardman.jpg

http://www.animalxing.com/textures/_p/p ... akeman.gif

The different ways they can approach the art and makeup of the naga race is nearly endless.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”