Difficulty levels in the Campaign

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Warmskin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Difficulty levels in the Campaign

Unread postby Warmskin » 10 Jul 2006, 14:47

I started over Inferno mission 3 too many times to remember (on Normal - yah, I'm not all that good). After beating my head against the wall, I switched to Easy (just to finish this mission and then I figured I'd go back to Normal for the rest of the Inferno campaign. I know the manual says you can't do this, but it must be wrong because I started off with tons of stuff and Galiaen (sp?) stayed in his town the whole time. I beat him easily. I went to change back to Normal but when I would quit to the main menu after playing or when just loading the game for another session, it would display that I was on Easy. Everything I tried to do (even going back to re-play the final battle of mission 3 on Normal) didn't seem to work. It kept re-setting back to Easy. I loaded the game up this morning and it displayed Normal. Why??? And is there a way to tell exactly what difficulty you're playing in (like starting resources or maybe a line in an ini file somewhere)? I just want to make sure I don't go thru the rest of this on Easy ('cause it's just too easy) :D
Thanks.

ChinaBlue
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Difficulty levels in the Campaign

Unread postby ChinaBlue » 10 Jul 2006, 15:44

Warmskin wrote:And is there a way to tell exactly what difficulty you're playing in
On the load or save screen you can see on the right a list of game type, map size and difficulty.

Warmskin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Warmskin » 10 Jul 2006, 17:00

OK, I see that info, thanks. My problem now is that it keeps reverting back to Easy. I've loaded and checked earlier saves and they in fact are 'Normal' difficulty. Ever since I changed it to Easy I can't get it to change back to Normal. Any ideas other that just going all the way back to the Normal save and keep beating my head againt a wall? Galrian is just too tough. Thanks.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 10 Jul 2006, 17:07

If you're truly playing at "Easy", you're playing with the patch. Thus, you're basically starting with one Inferno vs 2 sylvan towns (the third just produces troops for the stationary Gilraen). Try to capture the southern sylvan town at day 1 week 2. Depending on your skill, either head for the second sylvan town and get there at the beginning of week 3 (requires you to defeat some 50 Earth Elementals, which is easiest doable with Mass slow and phantom forces.). After taking second sylvan, the rest should be a cakewalk- recruit sylvan troops, head for druids as soon as you can, spend rest of map maxing out Agrael before crushing Gilraen.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Warmskin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Warmskin » 10 Jul 2006, 21:02

Thanks, but I have neither 'mass slow' or 'phantom forces'... I guess I'll try again without them. But, I still would like to know why I can't change the difficulty back to Normal. I changed it to Easy and restarted mission 3. Now, I change it to Normal, restart mission 4, play for a while, save and quit. And when I go back it tells me I'm on Easy. What Gives?

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 10 Jul 2006, 21:51

I've honestly no idea what's going on with your difficulty level. Sounds very odd.

WIth regards to the map: without those spells, I'd suggest you capture the sylvan town at day 1 week 2, and then build it up. Don't bother with the inferno town, you can't build it high enough for it to matter. As soon as you can (say, week 4 or 5) go for those Earth Elementals and take them out, and be able to proceed to stomp on the AI.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Rapier
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Rapier » 12 Jul 2006, 13:21

Could it be that you can't play the next map on normal because you didn't play the last one on normal?

You certaintly can't change the difficulty without a restart, which means that when you switched it to normal for the last battle, and then loaded the game (it loaded an "easy" mode save).

I'm only guessing here though, since I played on the same difficulty throughout.
~ Rapier.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”