Is there any way to remove 'Week of The .....' feature ?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 10 Jul 2006, 04:52

Gaidal Cain wrote:
Sikon wrote:A mini-mod that replaces all weeks with a "week of nothing".
Does that work? I tried doing something like that, but I don't think it worked.

PhoenixReborn wrote:If you make the choice to go to a witch hut, don't like the skill, and then reload I consider that cheating. I do not care if you cheat, that is your choice and it doesn't affect me but it is still a form of cheating.

Isn't the ghost incorporeal a 50% chance, so that out of 100 tries 50 of them will miss?
I consider both of those very bad elements of the game, and that they should be changed- the first so that you can go there without having to pick up the skill, so you don't have the need to reload or send a scout before daring to go there with your main. The second should be changed to 50% physical damage reduction.
Well the witch hut problem is quite easily fixed.

1. Make all skills not suck(this is essentially balance) so you don't cry when you get a particular skill.

2. LIST what you're getting at the witch hut by simply right clicking on it.

Simple as pie.

I suggest gaming companies to look at starcraft as to how to properly balance a game. That is the most balanced game I have ever seen and it was done by nerfing any strategy that was used overwhelmingly. Yet the races were all incredibly different.

When one unit/spell/skill is simply BETTER than any other at that given time it's imbalanced pure and simple. When you have enough money to buy 1 week growth of units and your ALWAYS going to pick one stack over the other then it's imbalanced. If everybody is always praying to get a certain spell in their mage guild over the other options then it's also imbalanced.

And the way to balance this is quite easy. If the faction as a whole seems stronger than the other factions then nerf the overly strong unit/spell/skill. If the faction as a whole seems weaker than the other factions then buff the weaker unit/spell/skills accordingly.

You can always defend a given imbalance or underpowered unit but if you want a game that will last and has lots of fun and exciting strategies balance will probably be your primary concern.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 10 Jul 2006, 04:53

It worked for me. If you load a saved game, the current week will continue as a week of something, but will be replaced with a week of nothing.

It's amusing to see how there was almost no reaction to my post, even though it's a direct reply to the topic ("Is there any way to remove 'Week of The .....' feature ?"). Instead, people continue to whine. I think this thread exhausted itself.
Last edited by Sikon on 10 Jul 2006, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.

TinBane
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TinBane » 10 Jul 2006, 04:56

Because chance has no place in strategy games? If your strategy is successful by such a narrow margin that 'weeks' make a big impact, then stiff. If you hoard creatures for weeks and then its plague, then stiff. Its a risk you take.

Maybe some of the 'week of' should be toned down, but overall its good.

A real strategist capitalises on beneficial weeks and sets aside resources/choices to counter nasty weeks.

If you don't want to lose creatures to a plague week, then don't let creatures back up, and build more conservatively. ie-don't go for capital as quickly.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 10 Jul 2006, 05:10

TinBane wrote:Because chance has no place in strategy games? If your strategy is successful by such a narrow margin that 'weeks' make a big impact, then stiff. If you hoard creatures for weeks and then its plague, then stiff. Its a risk you take.

Maybe some of the 'week of' should be toned down, but overall its good.

A real strategist capitalises on beneficial weeks and sets aside resources/choices to counter nasty weeks.

If you don't want to lose creatures to a plague week, then don't let creatures back up, and build more conservatively. ie-don't go for capital as quickly.
Thats true when weeks affect all the players the same.But if two even players mach,a week that decreases the moral of inferno is a very,very big advantage for the hero playing the good side.Theres no strategy in beating your evenly matched opponent by using such a luck against him.
MrSteamTank wrote: 1. Make all skills not suck(this is essentially balance) so you don't cry when you get a particular skill.
Thats almost the solution,but when you decide to chase the ultimate,that one extra skill can mean a big help or a big screw up.
MrSteamTank wrote: 2. LIST what you're getting at the witch hut by simply right clicking on it.
But then you wont have to walk to check it out.Nah,just offering you to refuse the skill would be enough.
Last edited by DaemianLucifer on 10 Jul 2006, 05:15, edited 1 time in total.

TinBane
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TinBane » 10 Jul 2006, 05:12

You have to be in a position to capitalise though. In many maps, you are unlikely to be able to find/get to a city of his in time to use it, so you have to place yourself in position. Its possible for him to attack your hero, if for instance, its a day where good troops are weaker.

As I said, crippling luck/morale for one race might need a bit of a nerf, but week of the creature is good, imho.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 10 Jul 2006, 08:37

You have one week to get to him. Plenty of time. Besides, you could be timing your march so that you'll attack his town on day one of the week- and then fail or succeed based on what week turns over. Not fun.

Having weeks with more different effects was a good idea, but when a specific week benefit certain factions more than others (Week of Infirmity etc), or voids the effects of certain skills (How they can call it "Week of balance" is beyond me. Making my hero miss out on the use of two of his skills when my opponent is unaffected is not balanced), or is just to far-reaching (Week of Festivals), they're no fun. A game is most often over in so short a time that the effects of good and bad weeks can't even out over one game, and this is part of the problem.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Arzang » 10 Jul 2006, 08:43

Sikon wrote:It worked for me. If you load a saved game, the current week will continue as a week of something, but will be replaced with a week of nothing.

It's amusing to see how there was almost no reaction to my post, even though it's a direct reply to the topic ("Is there any way to remove 'Week of The .....' feature ?"). Instead, people continue to whine. I think this thread exhausted itself.
that's because people went on to talk about something else. but I have a question for you;

is there any (simple) way to remove the weeks you dislike? meaning; not removing all but simply removing the ones one likes the least.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 10 Jul 2006, 09:02

The file GameMechanics/MoonCalendar/Default.xdb in data.pak is responsible for week rotation. You can replace week IDs you don't want. For example, if you don't like the Week of Festival, change all occurrences of WEEK_OF_FESTIVAL to WEEK_OF_NOTHING, or a week of some animal.

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby csarmi » 10 Jul 2006, 11:05

Sikon, is it enough to place a file into the data directory, or have to change the file in the PAK file directly?

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 10 Jul 2006, 11:27

Both ways will work, as long as you preserve the directory structure (which means you'll have to put the modified file into <path to game>/data/GameMechanics/MoonCalendar/. Modification of original PAKs isn't recommended, though, as there's no easy way to undo the changes.

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby csarmi » 10 Jul 2006, 12:10

There is: you backup it (I'd never change game files without backing them up unless I know for 100% what works and how).

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 10 Jul 2006, 12:18

Backing up data.pak? Now that's rather crazy...

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 10 Jul 2006, 13:04

Well, since placing other files will override the ones in the data.paks, but not remove them, doing a backup isn't necessary, as you already have your backup right in the data driectory ;)

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby csarmi » 10 Jul 2006, 13:08

Wow this PAK files are full of treasures :)

Actually, I can continue my campaign now, i only have to modifiy the weeks and reload my save rom last week.

But I can change much more... it's a huge work though.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 10 Jul 2006, 17:25

MrSteamTank wrote:
Well the witch hut problem is quite easily fixed.

1. Make all skills not suck(this is essentially balance) so you don't cry when you get a particular skill.

2. LIST what you're getting at the witch hut by simply right clicking on it.

Simple as pie.
Even simpler -- point out to players that they are not compelled to visit the witch hut when they first encounter it. A better strategy is to wait until your skill slots are filled and then go for a possible upgrade. When you wait, the free level will be more valuable.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 10 Jul 2006, 18:18

Or they could just ask whether you want the skill. Having to wait, or to send another hero, is annoying and doesn't really add anything. By the time I've filled out my skill slots, I might be on the other side of the map.Or I might not have been offered the skill I wanted, and then find out it was at the hut all along. I really can't see any good reason why they had to go back to the old, annoying way.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 10 Jul 2006, 19:01

Caradoc wrote: Even simpler -- point out to players that they are not compelled to visit the witch hut when they first encounter it. A better strategy is to wait until your skill slots are filled and then go for a possible upgrade. When you wait, the free level will be more valuable.
What if you have expert skill and get the ability you dont want?So no,thats not a good solution.
Gaidal Cain wrote: I really can't see any good reason why they had to go back to the old, annoying way.
Isnt it obvious already?Because HIV=bad,awful,unspeakably evil,etc.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 10 Jul 2006, 19:54

Go read what I said again. Pay special attention to any occurences of the word "good".

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 10 Jul 2006, 20:53

Gaidal Cain wrote:Go read what I said again. Pay special attention to any occurences of the word "good".
It seems good enough for nival.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”