Is there any way to remove 'Week of The .....' feature ?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
RK
Peasant
Peasant

Is there any way to remove 'Week of The .....' feature ?

Unread postby RK » 08 Jul 2006, 03:40

I really don't understand Nival's decision to include certain weeks into the game. IMO it's just too game breaking. It never is a problem in previous Heroes series, but in H5, some effects created too much impact.

Week of Balance :
Suddenly any hero with Luck & Leadership are ineffective, this is annoying when you are trying to siege a castle, only to find at Day 1, all that fountain trip are worthless.

Week of Folly :
Half XP gained from Battle. JEEZ , what's the point? Slowing down the game for us?

Week of Light etc Week of Might:
Just too much IMO.

Is there any way to remove these unwanted features in game?

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 08 Jul 2006, 09:29

Not without editing every single map.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 08 Jul 2006, 12:59

But luck is so fun! Seriously they could keep most of the week of abilities but remove the ones that can affect games too much.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 08 Jul 2006, 16:25

MrSteamTank wrote:But luck is so fun!
Sure it is soo fun to get no resources the whole week,yet have tons of armies to buy,and the next week becomes the week of plague so you get two weeks populations down the drain!Fun,fun,fun!!!

juventas
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby juventas » 08 Jul 2006, 22:05

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Sure it is soo fun to get no resources the whole week,yet have tons of armies to buy,and the next week becomes the week of plague so you get two weeks populations down the drain!Fun,fun,fun!!!
Yeah, it sucks considering the computer players will always have enough resources to buy out the garrison. Week of the Plague is only balanced when it affects everybody (other human players).

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 09 Jul 2006, 01:32

Before I report this as a bug, maybe someone can confirm. I had a Week of Disease that was supposed to destroy 2/3 of the armies. As best I can tell, it didn't. I checked my own castles and recruiting sites, but not those belonging to neutrals or opponents. Maybe I don't understand what it is supposed to affect.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 09 Jul 2006, 14:10

Do you really need to take away an element of chance?

So you get less experience for the week, don't fight unless you have to.

So your morale and luck is not happening fight anyway, or wait longer.

I'll bet you reloaded if there was a plague week in previous games.

I may be wrong but it looks like you are trying to take out an element of challenge that I think is fine.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 09 Jul 2006, 14:25

Caradoc wrote:Before I report this as a bug, maybe someone can confirm. I had a Week of Disease that was supposed to destroy 2/3 of the armies. As best I can tell, it didn't. I checked my own castles and recruiting sites, but not those belonging to neutrals or opponents. Maybe I don't understand what it is supposed to affect.
I've noticed this also.
In fact, I often hope for plague weeks as a result of this.
For example, if you get the 1/2 growth week, I find that growth becomes 4 for the top three levels of creature- note that this leaves tier 6 troops with normal growth, and actually DOUBLES the growth of level 7s!

5il3nc3r
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby 5il3nc3r » 09 Jul 2006, 15:07

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:I've noticed this also.
In fact, I often hope for plague weeks as a result of this.
For example, if you get the 1/2 growth week, I find that growth becomes 4 for the top three levels of creature- note that this leaves tier 6 troops with normal growth, and actually DOUBLES the growth of level 7s!
Confirmed. Happens to me too.
The pen is deadlier than the sword;
if the pen is very sharp and the sword very short.

RK
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby RK » 09 Jul 2006, 15:55

PhoenixReborn wrote:Do you really need to take away an element of chance?

I may be wrong but it looks like you are trying to take out an element of challenge that I think is fine.
I don't mind having plague and creature affecting week. But having a certain hero skills disabled / faction boost & penalty is ridiculous when you're playing a close match in multiplayer.

an element of challenge that is totally random and has no way to counter or expect is just not 'fine' in my book.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 09 Jul 2006, 16:19

Personally, I think the variety of 'weeks of' is one of the biggest improvements to Heroes V. They seem fair, equitable, and easy enough to deal with.

I wonder whether there will be a tool that gives mapmakers some control over the 'week of' phenomena. In the past versions, there have been times when a 'week of' placement could screw up a good map.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 09 Jul 2006, 17:02

PhoenixReborn wrote:Do you really need to take away an element of chance?

First of all heroes is not a gamble,its a strategy game.Luck is not a chalenge.Its not a fair chalenging that you have to fight mages to get some relic near your town,while your opponent has to fight giants.Its not a fair chalenge that you get -10% on your stats while your opponent is fine.Its not a fair chalenge to have your 2 weeks population destroyed while your opponent still gets one.Fair chalenge means that it affects you both.So week of plauge,forgery,some creature are ok.But week of folly against AI,or week of earth arent.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 09 Jul 2006, 17:21

Randomness (or "luck" as some call it) is perfectly fine. But you have to look at the effects of the randomness too. There's classical randomness like creature A does 10-15 dmg, which is present in most games and pretty standard fare. Then there's more severe randomness like whether a neutral stack will join you or not (chance of it happening being based of misc factors like the size of your army, but the end result can still go both ways). I for one think the more drastic week-effects in h5 go to far and there should be a way to disable them. Imagine playing a very tight and exciting MP-game (or SP for that matter) and then you win\loose because there was a major week-effect that hurt one player much more than the other. That's not really an enjoyable way to decide a game for me.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby csarmi » 09 Jul 2006, 17:44

I got week of the festival with 1610 gold left on week 3 on the 4th inferno map. Okay, I'll still win since I captured all the green castles on the surface (except the ultimate one), but this is not funny at all. That's 77k gold and 14 of all precious resources right out the window. It killed all the fun in the game. :(

I don't want to play anymore. Not until they fix all these mess-ups. I got more and more frustrated by the stupid bugs and imbalances, but now that's simply too much.

Thanks, Nival!

Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Arzang » 09 Jul 2006, 18:55

I remember back in the day when muaddib scouted forums to see what people wanted.

IIRC I was the only one who shouted and asked for adaptability. week of whatever is fine, as long as we can turn it off or whatever.

anyway; if the patches improve we may see adaptability being added later on.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 09 Jul 2006, 19:29

http://sikon-sf.gorodok.net/disable_weeks.pak

A mini-mod that replaces all weeks with a "week of nothing".

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 09 Jul 2006, 20:03

DaemianLucifer wrote:
I was obviously being sarcastic. If anybody here thinks luck has any place in a strategy game then I seriously don't know what to say. It's so ridiculous.

The "week of the ..." could be somewhat balanced if it

1. NEVER included units of a town type a player controls. Having week of the cavalier when one player HAS cavaliers and the other doesn't is broken. Get rid of it. If everybody controls every town type make sure only neutrals appear then.

2. Gave you heads up as to what the next week was so week of the whatever came with a heads up.

3. Had a reduced area of engagement and never appeared on roads so you could always avoid unit armies created this way. No more having arch-mages appearing blocking a path forcing you to lose units to get by an area that you've already cleared.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 09 Jul 2006, 20:53

MrSteamTank wrote:I was obviously being sarcastic. If anybody here thinks luck has any place in a strategy game then I seriously don't know what to say. It's so ridiculous.
Oh there are people that think luck=strategyThose that love the ghosts incorporeal ability,for example.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 09 Jul 2006, 21:10

Strategy is playing to the best of your ability with the situation given to you.

If you make the choice to go to a witch hut, don't like the skill, and then reload I consider that cheating. I do not care if you cheat, that is your choice and it doesn't affect me but it is still a form of cheating.

Isn't the ghost incorporeal a 50% chance, so that out of 100 tries 50 of them will miss?

They had week of the plague in previous games and it affected everybody. I've had no problem against the AI even with "exaggerated" week effects.

To say that the weeks are unbalancing in a multiplayer game is a fair comment. I will accept that criticism, but it was my understanding that multiplayer was unplayable at this time. Or are the complainers exaggerating that too?

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 09 Jul 2006, 21:24

Sikon wrote:A mini-mod that replaces all weeks with a "week of nothing".
Does that work? I tried doing something like that, but I don't think it worked.

PhoenixReborn wrote:If you make the choice to go to a witch hut, don't like the skill, and then reload I consider that cheating. I do not care if you cheat, that is your choice and it doesn't affect me but it is still a form of cheating.

Isn't the ghost incorporeal a 50% chance, so that out of 100 tries 50 of them will miss?
I consider both of those very bad elements of the game, and that they should be changed- the first so that you can go there without having to pick up the skill, so you don't have the need to reload or send a scout before daring to go there with your main. The second should be changed to 50% physical damage reduction.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Return to “Heroes V-VI”