The things that we really LIKE about H5

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Re: The things that we really LIKE about H5

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 04 Jul 2006, 03:39

ThunderTitan wrote:
Bandobras Took wrote:Incidentally, most of those things also make it on to my list of things I like. :)
You like that there are fewer towns and hero types? And what are "regenerating creature banks"?
The graveyard full of Zombies in H2, for example: defeat the creatures for money/artifacts.

In H4, this would "regenerate," i.e., after clearing them out, you could visit a month or so later and find a new population.

The same thing happened to me on the second map of the Necromancer campaign -- I had already cleared out the Mage Conservatory and Crypt, but a couple of months later I was able to clear them out again. I like that. :)

And in many ways, I do like that there are fewer towns and hero types. I'm not saying we shouldn't get any more in expansions, but six factions feels about right to me. And the one hero type per town also appeals to me -- a return to the good old days of Heroes I and II. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 04 Jul 2006, 04:22

Nobody's mentioned the ability to click on a location and have the computer find the shortest route, even if it's through the underground and/or portals. (provided, of course, that the course has been explored)

I *really* like that! It makes getting around the map (and I prefer the larger ones) so much easier.

Resurrection by First Aid tent, providing you have the skill. I just wish the ammo cart would refill its 'shots' as well.

An AI that's smart enough to win battles for you. I got so tired in H3 and H4 of having to play even the easiest battles out because the computer was always losing forces for me. Now, sometimes going auto-battle will win fights I can't on my own.

Birds flying, chickens fighting... makes up for a lack of flowers, imho.

Warlock
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warlock » 04 Jul 2006, 04:59

Bethel wrote:Nobody's mentioned the ability to click on a location and have the computer find the shortest route, even if it's through the underground and/or portals. (provided, of course, that the course has been explored)
Yeah but it still tries to bypass creature stacks :( This can be annoying if the creatures are pretty easy.

Metal Wolf
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Metal Wolf » 04 Jul 2006, 05:52

What about the looks of the castles?
Personally, I'm fond of most of them, mainly due their liveliness and the grand size of each one of them...
However, nival could have made it better by adding creatures doing their daily routine at the peremesis of their dwellings (like in H1). Though it wasnt very successful in H1 (and I guess thats why it was left out of all other Heroes titles), with today's modern technology it could have been done well in H5 IMO.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jul 2006, 10:46

Bandobras Took wrote: In H4, this would "regenerate," i.e., after clearing them out, you could visit a month or so later and find a new population.

So i wasn't imagining that. That is a good feature.

Bethel wrote: An AI that's smart enough to win battles for you. I got so tired in H3 and H4 of having to play even the easiest battles out because the computer was always losing forces for me. Now, sometimes going auto-battle will win fights I can't on my own.

The AI rushes it's forces, and that's why sometimes it can lose less creatures. In my exp it doesn't happen often, and most of the time it loses more creatures then it should because it doesn't wait.
If you know what to do you should always get better results then the Auto option. You just have to get used to the best way to handle different creatures.
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 04 Jul 2006, 19:53, edited 2 times in total.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 04 Jul 2006, 10:49

Please tell me ur kiding.
Story :p

Okay, seriously. Story.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jul 2006, 10:55

Sikon wrote:
Story :p

Okay, seriously. Story.
Lies... ur only doing it to annoy me. It's a conspiracy, i tell you.

Why?! Explain. Please... :D
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 04 Jul 2006, 10:55

It matters from person to person TT, let them have their opinion about things without persons like you critisise it, respect that.....oh and I like the story too ;) :tongue:

The things I like with H5 gotta be:

Skills & abilities (man the choices in abilities, perks etc are very deep)
Racial skills
Magic schools
Story
Creatures looks, animations and specialities (except the linear upg system)
Graphics
Only one hero class system.
Cam functions (Yeah I adopt to games pretty fast, this "lame" cam functions are no exception)

I like the gamplay overall, really, Its often "one more turn" for me as with previous games, well except when the A.I beats me to death on hard and heroic :p
Last edited by Orfinn on 04 Jul 2006, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 04 Jul 2006, 10:55

An AI that's smart enough to win battles for you. I got so tired in H3 and H4 of having to play even the easiest battles out because the computer was always losing forces for me. Now, sometimes going auto-battle will win fights I can't on my own.
That`s because battles are easier.
Campaigner wrote:Story
Thats strange, to me story is one of the worst i have ever seen. Even the gathering storm and winds of war had a bit better story.

Town points system is good for balance. But on the other hand games now take a lot longer or end with tier 3-5 units.

What i realy like is Skills & Abilities and that:
MistWeaver wrote:open-resource and rich scripting possibilities.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jul 2006, 11:02

Orfinn wrote: It matters from person to person TT, let them have their opinion about things without persons like you critisise it, respect that.....oh and I like the story too ;) :tongue:
Opinions are usualy backed up by facts/thoughts and all that jazz. I'd like to know why he likes it.

To be fair it's not the story that sucks, it the storytelling. The actual story has potential. Too bad it was squandered.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 04 Jul 2006, 11:11

To be fair it's not the story that sucks, it the storytelling. The actual story has potential. Too bad it was squandered.
At that Im agree with you, the story has a great potentional! :-D But since the story telling includes constant briefing with swords, staffs and magic after each sentence, it can get tiresome pretty fast, also lip sync in every cut scene would do miracles. Im ok with the actors voices, not much to point at there except some gives a cliche feeling. The actors should meld in one with the character they represent not let the characters voices sound forced as if the actors are treated by a gun to their head..

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 04 Jul 2006, 12:28

Can you explain me what potential it has?

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 04 Jul 2006, 12:37

ThunderTitan wrote: So i wasn't imagining that. That is a good feature.
It's rather interesting that one of the few "features" they take from H4 is one of it's bugs ;) I agree that it's a good feature, if the locations respawn at full strength.

The AI rushes it's forces, and that's why sometimes it can lose less creatures.
Only on lower difficulties. In my experience with quick-combat, the Ai does wait if it has archer superiority. However, if facing strong but slow opponents (like treants), it doesn't know how to send in no-retal units and then let them withdraw. Quick combat is thus excellent when you would win the fights easily, but not so good when it's more even.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Mightor Magic
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mightor Magic » 04 Jul 2006, 16:15

Some of the things I like:

Heroes that have actual special abilities unlike some of the ones from 3 where the starting hero was less important {though I do miss Crag Hack}. In updates, I'd really like to see another 3 or 4 Heroes for each faction.

The town points system: At 15 points I get a Capitol but how I get there is my decision {usually} and it often changes based on my starting Hero.

Faction abilities: Both a perk and a problem, it depends on who's available from the Tavern of that newly conquered castle. It's much harder to create a new faction army late in the game. Good if a little limiting.

Skill tree, artifacts and army development are far more entwined now and what you end up with can be different each time, even with a hero that specializes in a particular creature.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 04 Jul 2006, 16:18

ThunderTitan wrote:
Bandobras Took wrote: An AI that's smart enough to win battles for you. I got so tired in H3 and H4 of having to play even the easiest battles out because the computer was always losing forces for me. Now, sometimes going auto-battle will win fights I can't on my own.
Errr . . . you misattributed the quote. I didn't write that. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 04 Jul 2006, 17:30

ThunderTitan wrote:
Campaigner wrote: [*]Story
Sorry, but I like it except the absence of lipsync and the constant attackanimations. Don't get why everybody else hates it. I actually say it's on par with HoMM II. No other heroes game have had cutscenes that forwarded the story and they're also in the middle of the scenarios.

The only other heroesgame that competes with Heroes V in terms of story and atmosphere is Heroes II. The cutscene before every campaignmission in Heroes II were grrreeat! :D (Just listen to the intro from mission 3 in the evil campaign. Man that scene has atmosphere)
Campaigner wrote: [*]Unique factionspecific skills
ThunderTitan wrote:This should be included in the Skills & Abilities system.
Sure, but I wanted to lift up the factionspecific skill from the rest of the skills & abilities.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 04 Jul 2006, 19:27

Campaigner wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:
Campaigner wrote: [*]Story
Sorry, but I like it except the absence of lipsync and the constant attackanimations. Don't get why everybody else hates it. I actually say it's on par with HoMM II. No other heroes game have had cutscenes that forwarded the story and they're also in the middle of the scenarios.

The only other heroesgame that competes with Heroes V in terms of story and atmosphere is Heroes II. The cutscene before every campaignmission in Heroes II were grrreeat! :D (Just listen to the intro from mission 3 in the evil campaign. Man that scene has atmosphere)
Now I know that you are kidding!The story in HII was excelent,and it had depth.HV story could be good,but in order for that to happen heroes need to come to life.I dont care about those cutscenes.They are terible(a few flashy effects,and no lip sinc).I remember seing cutscenes like that,in the middle of a map in EE some 4 or 5 years ago(the difference is that the story in EE was way better than this one).Sure,a cutscene here and there is nice ro have,but it cannot replace a nicely written buble.Never.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jul 2006, 19:58

Bandobras Took wrote:Errr . . . you misattributed the quote. I didn't write that. :)
Ups... need to sleep more. Fixed.

Cutscenes are only as good as what's in them. They don't make a good story all by themselves.

erased. over. out
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby erased. over. out » 05 Jul 2006, 02:19

The wide range of skills and faction abilities have impressed me the most. I also love the fact that every creature in H-5 has its own unique characteristic/special ability. In H-3 for example, units like Pikemen, Goblins, Lizardmen, Horned Demons, Centaurs, etc., though useful, were just that: units.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 05 Jul 2006, 03:12

erased. over. out wrote:The wide range of skills and faction abilities have impressed me the most. I also love the fact that every creature in H-5 has its own unique characteristic/special ability. In H-3 for example, units like Pikemen, Goblins, Lizardmen, Horned Demons, Centaurs, etc., though useful, were just that: units.
Remember HIV?Each unit had a special there as well.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”