The things that we really LIKE about H5

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Metal Wolf
Pixie
Pixie

The things that we really LIKE about H5

Unread postby Metal Wolf » 03 Jul 2006, 16:15

Ok...
I've seen so much negative feedback in these forums about H5 that in the current state of events, I'm not sure whether people actually like H5 or not...
So I'd like to discuss ONLY what people DO like about H5...I'll start:

-The importance of low-leveled creatures: one of the things that annoyed me in H3 (and to a much greater extent in H4) is that once you had 6-7 lvl creatures, in most cases you wouldnt bother bying low leveled creatures, especially when you are short of money... In H2 it wasnt so due to therelatively small difference in power of "neighbouring" leveled creatures, and in H5 it isn so due to mainly special abilities and to the fact that high-leveled creatures are harder to get (or at least it takes more time) than in previous games...

-Creature Upgrades: IMO its a great idea to make the upgraded creatures much stronger than the unupgraded ones (and making them harder to get than in the previous versions of Heroes)... Apart from adding to the strategic depth of the game, it makes a kind-of "middle-ranked" creature (well not exactly, I know many will disagree, but its close to that) between different dwelling levels.

-Music, sounds and graphics: I wont get into that since I know that the opinions are gratly divided on this one.. I'll just say that while graphics dont make the game good or bad, IMO it greatly effects the atmosphere of the game and since to me, Heroes is not pure strategy (like say, Civilization) but its a lot about the feel - H5 does great job on this one.
(well, eventually I DID got into the graphics issue :) )

Phate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Phate » 03 Jul 2006, 16:41

Town points are a nice addition I feel, to prevent you whoring grand elves on the 2nd/3rd day

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 03 Jul 2006, 16:48

It's a revitalization of a series thought dead with the demise of 3DO.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 03 Jul 2006, 16:56

The Skill and Spell system is really nice, although I would like some more spells.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Rainalkar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Rainalkar » 03 Jul 2006, 17:01

Gameplay of H5 is light years ahead of H3; hero development, town equality, spell system... 10 times better. The interface could be (much) better, music themes as well, I feel that the battle view could be larger, the units seem to small, and I really hate the need and must to rotate/zoom all the time on adventure map.

OliverFA
Scout
Scout

Re: The things that we really LIKE about H5

Unread postby OliverFA » 03 Jul 2006, 18:15

Saying that Heroes V is Heroes III-3D is not being negative. Is being faithful to the truth. But this fact does not have to be a negative one. Specially if we situate it correctly in the context. After 3DO's disaster, almost everybody gave for sure that there would not be an Heroes V. In this situation UBI came to rescue the franchise and revive it. They made the safest choice, they didn't take too many risks as the franchise could not afford a new disaster. And they did it well.

Sure, I would have prefered Heroes V to be something else than just an Heroes III 3D clone. But it is a very good 3D clone... and it's Heroes. It plays like Heroes. It feels like Heroes. It deserves being called Heroes. However now that UBI has completed the most critical phase, I expect that they start taking some more risks, starting with the expansions.
Metal Wolf wrote:Ok...
-Music, sounds and graphics: I wont get into that since I know that the opinions are gratly divided on this one.. I'll just say that while graphics dont make the game good or bad, IMO it greatly effects the atmosphere of the game and since to me, Heroes is not pure strategy (like say, Civilization) but its a lot about the feel - H5 does great job on this one.
(well, eventually I DID got into the graphics issue :) )
Graphics and music is by far the best (and the only new) part of Heroes V. And the one that represents the bigest step forward. What I really like that was not present in previous games is the background music approach. During all the game we can hear a few notes that after some time playing we identify as Heroes the same way that we do with most famous movies.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 03 Jul 2006, 18:30

OliverFA wrote:Saying that Heroes V is Heroes III-3D is not being negative. Is being faithful to the truth
Aside from the Skill System, the move back down to six towns, only one hero type per faction, regenerating creature banks, creatures with spellbooks and spell points, faction-specific skills, initiative, several creature abilities, town specialties, and massive scripting capabilities, yep, it's Heroes III-3D. Faithful to the truth, indeed.

Incidentally, most of those things also make it on to my list of things I like. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 03 Jul 2006, 18:55

Superior art and more interesting units and buildings in almost every aspect of heroes V. Gorgeous towns and pretty nice music that really pulls the game together.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Jul 2006, 19:01

Bandobras Took wrote:Incidentally, most of those things also make it on to my list of things I like. :)

You like that there are fewer towns and hero types? And what are "regenerating creature banks"?

Creatures having a spellsbook, skill system (even if it could be better; and it includes the faction specific skill btw), the new creature abilities and the fact that heroes can attack even after they're out of mana (even if it needs work).

Oh, and the music is fine.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Xenofex.XVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Xenofex.XVII » 03 Jul 2006, 19:26

I don't understand why you people say that graphics and music are the best parts of Heroes V. ;|
I like the new skil/ abilities system, the town points system,Although it could be tweaked a bit: For example lvl1 creature dwelling would give 1 point, castle 5 points, completing the buildings(upgrade) should give more than 1 point.Gral should give 10+ points. The point cap should be upgraded. I hope you get the idea.

P.S.I saw someone using the phrase "Light years away". For distance it's big,yes , but for time :| years are years.
It is time to stop believing and start understanding. - Rael

Warlock
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warlock » 03 Jul 2006, 19:53

I'll definately put the new skill system up there as improvements I really liked. I hated the skill system in Heroes 3, particularly because it was very easy to be offered crappy skills and you ended up wasting a skill slot on crap like Scouting because you *had* to pick one.

Here at least if you get two lousy skill choices (and most are *not* lousy anyways, with possible exception to War Machines which can be *ok* in some situations - or maybe a magic mastery that is not part of your faction's magic schools) then you can pick a sub-skill and expand on your skills more that way. I like that a lot.

I'll also add the Hero/Faction Abilities like Haven Trailing, Dungeon Elemental Chains/Empowered Magic, Academy Artifacts, Inferno Gating, etc. are very awesome and add more uniqueness to the factions and heroes (especially since every hero in Heroes 3 was basically the same other than possibly starting abilities and troops). Hero and town specials are also cool (though town specials really need to be spelled out in-game).

Metal Wolf
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Metal Wolf » 03 Jul 2006, 20:13

Warlock wrote: ...and add more uniqueness to the factions and heroes (especially since every hero in Heroes 3 was basically the same other than possibly starting abilities and troops).
Totally agree. That feature (one type of hero per town), dating from H2, is a thing I missed Iin H3.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Jul 2006, 21:35

The map graphics,music,skill system and creature death animations are what I like in this game.

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 03 Jul 2006, 21:41

I vote for the skill system as one of the big gems. Skills + Abilites are a very nice addition.

The spell system is OK.

Combat with the ATB is quite nice and can add more than the fixed turn-by-turn nature of H1-H4.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Jul 2006, 21:44

DaemianLucifer wrote: creature death animations are what I like in this game.

Righ, add that one to my list too. Most of them are good.

Alamar wrote: Combat with the ATB is quite nice and can add more than the fixed turn-by-turn nature of H1-H4.
But the creatures need balancing within it. Slow init ones are too weak.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Jul 2006, 21:50

Oh yes,the initiative system.One of the few things that got my praise.Also the town point system is very nice.

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 03 Jul 2006, 21:59

ThunderTitan wrote:
Alamar wrote: Combat with the ATB is quite nice and can add more than the fixed turn-by-turn nature of H1-H4.
But the creatures need balancing within it. Slow init ones are too weak.
Well I decided not to include that in a praise thread ... heh. The system itself is nice. Creature tweaks within the system are a different issue.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 03 Jul 2006, 22:09

The only things I realy like are: open-resource and rich scripting possibilities.Thats all.
Anything else is worse than was before or not important.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 04 Jul 2006, 00:16

In order of best to worst (Bolded and underlined are best. Just bolded are great and things with normal text are good).
  • Skills & Abilities system
  • Initiative
  • Graphics & Sound
  • Story
  • Unique factionspecific skills
  • Cost of upgraded creaturedwellings and Mage Guild
May fill it up later if I find other good things. These are the things I found without looking at other peoples posts.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jul 2006, 00:21

Campaigner wrote: [*]Story
Please tell me ur kiding.
Campaigner wrote: [*]Unique factionspecific skills
This should be included in the Skills & Abilities system.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”