The artifact situation has gotten out of hand...

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 02 Jul 2006, 01:18

Ethric wrote:
By the way, I can't seem to have spotted anyone else wonder about artifacts that grow back on the map (that is, some time after an area has been cleared an artifact may pop up at a spot where there previously was one). Is it only me and Kalah that have seen this happen as some sort of weird fluke (or perhaps a feature on some MP maps), or does everyone else just take it as a normal feature? Because it does seem a bit weird to me.
I've never seen that happen. I have come close to missing artifacts or forgetting to pick them up at times but I've NEVER seen any map object grow back.

BTW was this in a MP game or SP game? I could see a map desync do this in MP but it would be a weird bug to see it in a SP game.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 02 Jul 2006, 09:08

ThunderTitan wrote:And anyway, you could do that in the previous games. And stop discriminatin 4-footed people.
Even if you equipped two "same" artifacts in different slots in H3, you only got the bonus once...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 02 Jul 2006, 10:17

Gaidal Cain wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:And anyway, you could do that in the previous games. And stop discriminatin 4-footed people.
Even if you equipped two "same" artifacts in different slots in H3, you only got the bonus once...
Not true.Two sacks of gold gave you 2000 gp,two horseshoes gave you +2 on luck,etc.

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 02 Jul 2006, 11:59

In my experience, DL is right. But it's only what i perceived, i haven't made any real tests, so i might be wrong.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 02 Jul 2006, 12:14

Some Misc artifacts stack their effects, others don't. Resource givers do, morale and luck givers do, and the parts of the Legion most definitely don't (I've just tested it). As for the others, I don't know.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Jul 2006, 13:16

It makes sense for the resource and morale/luck ones to stack.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 02 Jul 2006, 18:59

I couldn't really care if they added more graphics or not. At least make different versions of artifacts the same graphic so you don't get like 3 overlapping artifacts. Now that is lame and shows a rushed game on nival's part.

i.e. horseshoe of fortune could also be lucky horseshoe which applies a different effect. Say bonus attack on luck roles instead of +2 luck or something like that. Add 2-3 different variations of each artifact and you're good to go. Few repeats to deal with.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 02 Jul 2006, 20:44

Meh. Making another artifact with the same icon with a toally different effect would look far more unfinished to me. Not to mention confusing.

juventas
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby juventas » 02 Jul 2006, 22:58

I don't get it. It can't take that much money and manpower to come up with artifacts.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 02 Jul 2006, 23:34

juventas wrote:I don't get it. It can't take that much money and manpower to come up with artifacts.
Perhaps it has to do with balancing, or perhaps there are greater priorities on the minds of Nival.

SCum
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SCum » 03 Jul 2006, 01:17

Gaidal Cain wrote:Meh. Making another artifact with the same icon with a toally different effect would look far more unfinished to me. Not to mention confusing.
"Oh, YES! I really need more knowledge, thank Nival for that Dwarven helm.. "
"... wait a second, this one gives spellpower!?"

In the hopes of not looking like a fool, I really think it was some kind of dwarven helm that gave knowledge.

Yes, confusing and frustrating. Hopes up, hopes down.

juventas
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby juventas » 03 Jul 2006, 01:48

SCum wrote:
Gaidal Cain wrote:Meh. Making another artifact with the same icon with a toally different effect would look far more unfinished to me. Not to mention confusing.
"Oh, YES! I really need more knowledge, thank Nival for that Dwarven helm.. "
"... wait a second, this one gives spellpower!?"

In the hopes of not looking like a fool, I really think it was some kind of dwarven helm that gave knowledge.

Yes, confusing and frustrating. Hopes up, hopes down.
Well, you know, they could always do a palette swap...

SCum
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SCum » 03 Jul 2006, 02:11

Hm, well, true. But I wouldn't be surprised if not..

Infact, that might make the game somewhat more, eh, luck based, like playing poker, you slowly reveal the next card, praying that it's what you want. Then again, gambling isn't good for your nerves.

sunbearie
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby sunbearie » 03 Jul 2006, 03:08

Actually, I think being able to sell artifacts would be a significant improvement to the situation now.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 03 Jul 2006, 09:09

juventas wrote:I don't get it. It can't take that much money and manpower to come up with artifacts.
As long as you limit yourself to artifacts that does simple things like +2 attack and knowledge, then it's probably mostly a matter of creating graphics. If you want to do something interesting- like increasing the damage done on lucky attacks- there's some more programming involved.

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 03 Jul 2006, 13:45

Gaidal Cain wrote:
As long as you limit yourself to artifacts that does simple things like +2 attack and knowledge, then it's probably mostly a matter of creating graphics. If you want to do something interesting- like increasing the damage done on lucky attacks- there's some more programming involved.
I'd be relatively happy with just getting a few more simple artifacts for variety.

Also if there were some artifacts that gave you skill / ability bonueses that might be cool. Things like a Pendant of Dark Mastery, an Archer's Bow, a crown of Insight, etc. would all be fine with me and shouldn't take TONS of work. Granted it would be more appropriate for an expansion but I can always wish :)

Warlock
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warlock » 03 Jul 2006, 19:59

What would be nice is a way to swap artifacts for others of equal "level". Trade a +2 Attack Hat for +2 Attack Boots or something like that. Obviously it would not always be exactly equal like that, but if the quality was similar it would be nice.

Granted, I doubt this will ever happen as it seems like it would be a lot of extra work on Nival's part.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”