The artifact situation has gotten out of hand...

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

The artifact situation has gotten out of hand...

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 01 Jul 2006, 14:18

In Heroes II you often had repeat artifacts. The expansion added some variety, added some good artifacts with positives and negatives.

In Heroes III there were tons of artifacts and tons of repeats all over the map. Having to replace artifacts on the paper doll was a good step because it forces you to spread the artifacts around.

However, Heroes V suffers from the same problem. Having five evercold icicles across two heroes doesn't do me much good especially when I might want something else in that slot. Obviously more artifacts would help, but I end up carting around oodles of artifacts that aren't doing anyone any good. It seems like a waste.

I would like it if there were only say two of a particular artifact on a map. It would add meaning to actually getting that artifact.

Anyone have artifact thoughts??

P.S. I like wizardly artifacts!!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Jul 2006, 14:41

My first thought is that the game could use more artifacts. And a paper doll, or at least some more slots to put them in.

That way there's a smaller chance that the same artifact would appear on the same map. But if they are limited 3 sounds better, 2 for smaller maps.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 01 Jul 2006, 14:47

You didn't mention H4 and the way how easy it is to get rid of theme!!
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 01 Jul 2006, 15:49

Sauron wrote:You didn't mention H4 and the way how easy it is to get rid of theme!!
I played a little Heroes IV. I have it. I liked the basic game but I couldn't continue because the returning fog of war made it impossible for me to see what was going on.

How did it work in Heroes IV?

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 01 Jul 2006, 15:56

I can live with this version not having many artifacts even though yesterday I had 3 chain mail of enlightenments and my first 5 artifacts were all boots [but the 1st 4 weren't good boots].

I just wish there were map objects were you could sell your spare junk, sacrifice it for XP, etc.....

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 01 Jul 2006, 16:20

Oh but come on, we have a beautiful system in HeroesV, you can have a sack of gold for mantle, and a horseshoe for boots (gulp)... Heroes IV's paper doll system was quite well done, it should've stayed.

I'd like huge amount of artifacts so that we don't see the same thing twice. If there are three turban of enlightenments, then they aren't artifacts for me, an artifact should be a unique thing, one of a kind. I believe there must be some code to prevent same artifact being in the same scenario, in the map or via merchants. Of course then we'd need many of them and that would mean heroes4, or in other words heresy :disagree:...

P.S: By the way all hail my big nose :D..

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Jul 2006, 16:22

cornellian wrote:Oh but come on, we have a beautiful system in HeroesV, you can have a sack of gold for mantle, and a horseshoe for boots (gulp)... Heroes IV's paper doll system was quite well done, it should've stayed.
You know what?! The H3 paperdoll was well done too.

And watch where you point that nose.... :devil:
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 Jul 2006, 16:24

Funny thing is that everyone complaind about being unable to get rid of the artifacts,and there were loads of suggestions how to do it.Yet still the problem is here :disagree:

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 01 Jul 2006, 17:29

PhoenixReborn wrote: I played a little Heroes IV. I have it. I liked the basic game but I couldn't continue because the returning fog of war made it impossible for me to see what was going on.

How did it work in Heroes IV?
Split a stack into two parts so that one of theme makes 1 creature, then give it the artifacts and send the creature to scout the enemy area. Sooner or later, it will be killed by enemy and you'll get rid of theme and see the situation in enemy lands.
True, it will make AI little stronger, but he would be easy to defeat even if you gave him 100 dragons :P
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Ari
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ari » 01 Jul 2006, 19:24

I kinda miss the "cursed" artifacts of HOMM2. Granted, technically *everything* in HOMM2 was cursed at least until you found another hero.

I have fond memories of winning an HOMM2 multiplayer game by sending a hero bearing the fizbin of misfortune at my enemy immediately before engaging with my main stack :)

wolf8t8t
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

We called that tactic ...

Unread postby wolf8t8t » 01 Jul 2006, 20:09

Fizbin Bombing!

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 01 Jul 2006, 20:21

Ari wrote: I have fond memories of winning an HOMM2 multiplayer game by sending a hero bearing the fizbin of misfortune at my enemy immediately before engaging with my main stack :)
Brilliant! :-D

And I for one also think the paperdoll-system introduced in H3 was a very nice improvement. Why it was dumbed down now is to me one of the great mysteries of H5. I mean, horseshoes on the hero? Sure, you could say that is is the horse that wears them but then, there would still be room on the hero's feet for a pair of boots.

By the way, I can't seem to have spotted anyone else wonder about artifacts that grow back on the map (that is, some time after an area has been cleared an artifact may pop up at a spot where there previously was one). Is it only me and Kalah that have seen this happen as some sort of weird fluke (or perhaps a feature on some MP maps), or does everyone else just take it as a normal feature? Because it does seem a bit weird to me.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 01 Jul 2006, 21:26

Ethric wrote:And I for one also think the paperdoll-system introduced in H3 was a very nice improvement. Why it was dumbed down now is to me one of the great mysteries of H5. I mean, horseshoes on the hero? Sure, you could say that is is the horse that wears them but then, there would still be room on the hero's feet for a pair of boots.
I wouldn't call it so much "dumbed down" as well, "lessened" is perhaps the best word. It is after all the same system, only sans a misc slot. The horseshoe and Magic bag slots are pretty stupid, granted, but it's more the implementation that's lacking than a general change in the system.
By the way, I can't seem to have spotted anyone else wonder about artifacts that grow back on the map (that is, some time after an area has been cleared an artifact may pop up at a spot where there previously was one). Is it only me and Kalah that have seen this happen as some sort of weird fluke (or perhaps a feature on some MP maps), or does everyone else just take it as a normal feature? Because it does seem a bit weird to me.
My guess is that you were both hallucinating. Or that you simply missed it the first time for some reason.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Jul 2006, 21:53

Gaidal Cain wrote: I wouldn't call it so much "dumbed down" as well, "lessened" is perhaps the best word. It is after all the same system, only sans a misc slot.
Don't you mean some misc slots? I don't recall any other HoMM that had only 1 misc slot.

Gaidal Cain wrote: My guess is that you were both hallucinating.
And that's why you shouldn't eat any ol' mushroom you found about.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 Jul 2006, 21:59

ThunderTitan wrote: Don't you mean some misc slots? I don't recall any other HoMM that had only 1 misc slot.
Sans means without.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 01 Jul 2006, 22:09

ThunderTitan wrote:Don't you mean some misc slots? I don't recall any other HoMM that had only 1 misc slot.
There are- currently- not that many artifacts to place in the teoretical misc slots that I consider there to be a need for more than one. Of course there can be 4, or 5, or even 10, if they introduce enough artifacts for them to be used.
Last edited by Gaidal Cain on 01 Jul 2006, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Jul 2006, 22:11

DaemianLucifer wrote: Sans means without.
I know. But he use a too.

@GC
True, but seeing how you can get the same artifact multiple times... :devil:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 Jul 2006, 23:18

ThunderTitan wrote: True, but seeing how you can get the same artifact multiple times... :devil:
So what?That same reason can be sed for giving two boot slots.

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 01 Jul 2006, 23:45

you _really_ missed that he was joking?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Jul 2006, 23:46

And anyway, you could do that in the previous games. And stop discriminatin 4-footed people.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”