Most disappointing creature of Heroes V

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 05 Jul 2006, 00:17

Plain and simple, it's between the Devils and Bone Dragons..They don't bring enough to the battlefield compared to how much they cost. ..When you pay big money for these creatures and their dwellings, you expect major production as in H2 through H4, these ones tend to disappoint..Bone Dragons were solid in 2,3 and 4, and Devils were awesome in 3 and 4, they have dropped down a couple of notches in 5, but still are very expensive..

5il3nc3r
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby 5il3nc3r » 05 Jul 2006, 03:17

Gargoyles: ugly, weak, stupid-looking, mostly useless, even as a meat (stone/obsidian) shield.

§ıĿ
The pen is deadlier than the sword;
if the pen is very sharp and the sword very short.

Jimmpi
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Jimmpi » 05 Jul 2006, 09:01

Orfinn wrote: Bone dragon should get 40% dmg reduction from ranged,. The Spectral Dragon should get 50% reduction from ranged .
What?!?! Dont they have that?!?! scandal!!! Thats one of the key function for a skeleton-creature....UBI didn't think a lot when they gave creature there specials abillity.

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 05 Jul 2006, 12:50

Orfinn wrote:I go for the Djinn too, make em look better (normal sized hands and head) and give em a HP boost both the Djinn and the Djinn Sultan. The basic now have 33, give em 55, the upg now have 40, give em 70. They can keep their random casting, since they in this game focusing on doing alot of damage in melee with their nice little falchions and are secondary used as supporters with their chaotic casting abilities :devious:
They can retain their regular hp, just improve their attack and defense even moreso so they become tougher that way. Then they would have a weakness vs spells and be different from most of the other academy units.

Anyways I hardly think they look awful. Why do people say this when 90% of what is in heroes V looks far better than anything in the previous heroes. Gargoyles are pretty amusing looking units to be honest and I like the style they did them in. The only unit personally that doesn't look all that hot to me is the colossus/titan unit. He looks like silver surfer to me.

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 05 Jul 2006, 12:52

Jimmpi wrote:
Orfinn wrote: Bone dragon should get 40% dmg reduction from ranged,. The Spectral Dragon should get 50% reduction from ranged .
What?!?! Dont they have that?!?! scandal!!! Thats one of the key function for a skeleton-creature....UBI didn't think a lot when they gave creature there specials abillity.
I definitely agree. Although I liked what they did in heroes V. 50% dmg reduction from ranged and the upgrade getting 50% dmg reduction from ranged AND melee. Then you could drop the dragons hp to like 140/140 instead of 150/165 that you have right now. Possibly up the cost slightly but leave it more or less the same. This way bone dragons still have a use as pure anti-ranged and you upgrade and spend extra money for spectrals if you you're going to face lots of walkers.

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 05 Jul 2006, 12:54

MrSteamTank wrote:Anyways I hardly think they look awful. Why do people say this when 90% of what is in heroes V looks far better than anything in the previous heroes.
huh? well, that's spot on. plenty of units are good-looking, and a couple suck. what's wrong with saying this? i don't get it.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 05 Jul 2006, 14:17

Jimmpi wrote:What?!?! Dont they have that?!?! scandal!!! Thats one of the key function for a skeleton-creature....UBI didn't think a lot when they gave creature there specials abillity.
Aparently not,considering that zombies and gargoyles are enraged.
MrSteamTank wrote:Anyways I hardly think they look awful. Why do people say this when 90% of what is in heroes V looks far better than anything in the previous heroes. Gargoyles are pretty amusing looking units to be honest and I like the style they did them in. The only unit personally that doesn't look all that hot to me is the colossus/titan unit. He looks like silver surfer to me.
Look at the volution polls and youll see that its much,much less then 90%.Shiny doesnt mean better.

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 05 Jul 2006, 16:24

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Jimmpi wrote:What?!?! Dont they have that?!?! scandal!!! Thats one of the key function for a skeleton-creature....UBI didn't think a lot when they gave creature there specials abillity.
Aparently not,considering that zombies and gargoyles are enraged.
MrSteamTank wrote:Anyways I hardly think they look awful. Why do people say this when 90% of what is in heroes V looks far better than anything in the previous heroes. Gargoyles are pretty amusing looking units to be honest and I like the style they did them in. The only unit personally that doesn't look all that hot to me is the colossus/titan unit. He looks like silver surfer to me.
Look at the volution polls and youll see that its much,much less then 90%.Shiny doesnt mean better.
It's always a matter of opinion but I'm glad they tried to be unique with their unit creations. Units from the old homm games have never seemed unique looking for me. Devils were just red goatee sporting men with goat legs and angels were bearded men with wings. I definitely like the current incarnations.

Even gargoyles which people dislike are a breath of fresh air. Treants as well. I may not love the art but I prefer something new to copies of the old games.

As I said it's a matter of opinion but I love the current art direction. Nival may not be supporting their game but I give the artists an A+ with this incarnation of homm.

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 05 Jul 2006, 16:50

tried to be unique
lol

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Jul 2006, 17:25

MrSteamTank wrote: As I said it's a matter of opinion but I love the current art direction. Nival may not be supporting their game but I give the artists an A+ with this incarnation of homm.
Warcraft-lover... :tongue:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 05 Jul 2006, 17:50

MrSteamTank wrote:It's always a matter of opinion but I'm glad they tried to be unique with their unit creations. Units from the old homm games have never seemed unique looking for me. Devils were just red goatee sporting men with goat legs and angels were bearded men with wings. I definitely like the current incarnations.
Devils are now just chubby guys with dumb aces,and angels are floating FF chicks.It goes both ways.
MrSteamTank wrote: Even gargoyles which people dislike are a breath of fresh air.
WCIII the frozen throne,destroyer(or whatever it is called),hardly unique,and mostly lame.
MrSteamTank wrote: Treants as well.
Lousy little grey men from outer space from old thirtees films,hardly unique,and again lame.
MrSteamTank wrote: I may not love the art but I prefer something new to copies of the old games.
Lets not mention vampires(green samurai),devils(WCIII again),angels(mfinal fantasy),titans(duke nukem,terminator),etc.

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 05 Jul 2006, 18:00

DaemianLucifer wrote:
MrSteamTank wrote:It's always a matter of opinion but I'm glad they tried to be unique with their unit creations. Units from the old homm games have never seemed unique looking for me. Devils were just red goatee sporting men with goat legs and angels were bearded men with wings. I definitely like the current incarnations.
Devils are now just chubby guys with dumb aces,and angels are floating FF chicks.It goes both ways.
MrSteamTank wrote: Even gargoyles which people dislike are a breath of fresh air.
WCIII the frozen throne,destroyer(or whatever it is called),hardly unique,and mostly lame.
MrSteamTank wrote: Treants as well.
Lousy little grey men from outer space from old thirtees films,hardly unique,and again lame.
MrSteamTank wrote: I may not love the art but I prefer something new to copies of the old games.
Lets not mention vampires(green samurai),devils(WCIII again),angels(mfinal fantasy),titans(duke nukem,terminator),etc.
I'm refering by old games as old homm games. Not other old games.

And sure they took parts from other games, however, as I said once before it's opinion. You can't convince someone that the art sucks or is amazing but this genre definitely pulled in a lot of new fans. Their is a reason for that and that is mostly due to the art. My friends HATED the old homm games and wouldn't touch them ever. They said the units looked pretty bad and I definitely agree with them.

I think people just like the nostalgia from the old games and don't like things changing.

p.s. the current gargoyle looks absolutely NOTHING like the destroyer from warcraft 3. The titans in this game look more like silver surfer than the terminator imo.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Jul 2006, 18:40

MrSteamTank wrote:My friends HATED the old homm games and wouldn't touch them ever. They said the units looked pretty bad and I definitely agree with them.
So, any chance you could get them all in one room? And then blow them up? It would do wonders for my dispositon.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 05 Jul 2006, 19:15

The Heroes series has never had good art. But until Heroes IV, the pictures were only serving as tokens on a map, like chess pieces on a chessboard. It didn't matter how they looked as long as you could tell them apart. Then came '3D' and you could still say the figures were animated tokens. But now we are supposed to see them as part of some virtual reality? Bah.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

thecheese
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby thecheese » 05 Jul 2006, 19:21

Caradoc wrote:The Heroes series has never had good art. But until Heroes IV, the pictures were only serving as tokens on a map, like chess pieces on a chessboard. It didn't matter how they looked as long as you could tell them apart. Then came '3D' and you could still say the figures were animated tokens. But now we are supposed to see them as part of some virtual reality? Bah.
Wtf? First of all, I always thought the Heroes art looked great, at least for its time. I do agree on the token ideology, but 3d hasn't changed that. It may have changed the property of the tokens, and the way in which they can be viewed, but they still are tokens. I've never viewed them as anything else.

StMichael
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Location: Transilvania (Romania) the land of Vampires ! ^BLA^

Unread postby StMichael » 05 Jul 2006, 20:09

I think the most disappointing creature in Heroes from heroes 3 to heroes 5 is the IMP :|

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 05 Jul 2006, 20:41

StMichael wrote:I think the most disappointing creature in Heroes from heroes 3 to heroes 5 is the IMP :|
What?No way!Those buggers are a dissaster for every caster on the field.Especially now.But you know whats very funny?In previous games ims always took 2 mana,no matter how many of them.So dividing them into smaller stacks was a strategy/exploit.Ubi realised this,yet it made casters that way.Fix one problem,and create another.
Caradoc wrote:The Heroes series has never had good art. But until Heroes IV, the pictures were only serving as tokens on a map, like chess pieces on a chessboard. It didn't matter how they looked as long as you could tell them apart. Then came '3D' and you could still say the figures were animated tokens. But now we are supposed to see them as part of some virtual reality? Bah.
:| :| :| 8|

Heroes always had some ugly and some extremly beautiful creatures,but overal its art was always fabulous.But it somehow started slipping in HIII,and especially in HIV,although the map graphics was always better and better.HV continues like this.The difference is that it is more shiny.And shiny isnt always better.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 05 Jul 2006, 21:44

Caradoc wrote:The Heroes series has never had good art.
:lolu: H2 had excellent map and creature arts. How many games that old still has (many) fans prefering it's rendition of several units to newer ones? H3 had extremely well done town screens, even if the rest of the graphics were kind of bleak. The graphics has never been Heroes's strong point, but there has been very good pieces.
DaemianLucifer wrote:In previous games ims[sic] always took 2 mana,no matter how many of them[sic].
You mean "In H4 imps...". They worked different in H3, sucking mana when the enemy cast a spell, and drained different amounts depending on the spell.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 06 Jul 2006, 19:14

Gaidal Cain wrote:
Caradoc wrote:The Heroes series has never had good art.
:lolu: H2 had excellent map and creature arts. How many games that old still has (many) fans prefering it's rendition of several units to newer ones? H3 had extremely well done town screens, even if the rest of the graphics were kind of bleak. The graphics has never been Heroes's strong point, but there has been very good pieces.
DaemianLucifer wrote:In previous games ims[sic] always took 2 mana,no matter how many of them[sic].
You mean "In H4 imps...". They worked different in H3, sucking mana when the enemy cast a spell, and drained different amounts depending on the spell.
Ok I agree with that point. I was exaggerating a little about earlier homm art sucking overall. However, on the whole homm5 art is a lot better than most of the previous incarnations in most areas.

Homm2 crusaders, pheonix's, and druids were quite nifty looking imo. I prefer how they looked to how the homm5 incarnations look. However, converting something thats 2d to 3d always loses some of the 'feel' of the old unit. Thats why the street fighter games and megaman games play so well even though they are so old.

Some units to me at least don't look as good although they are few and far between. Mainly the knights and knight heroes don't look as regal as they could. I loved the royal look of crusaders and paladins in homm2 with their massive sword and huge flowing cape. The demon hero in homm5 doesn't look that good either as he has way too much armor on(looks like a robot).

Same thing with gargoyles, griffins, and treants. I'm not particularly fond of the art for these units but it's not really worse imo(it could definitely look better) it's simply different. Treants in homm3 did not look very good to me, however, gargoyles and griffins looked pretty good although not very original.

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 07 Jul 2006, 00:57

I happy enough with most of the art in H5. Aside from one or two glaringly odd decisions I'm OK with it.

My disappointment with the Spectral Dragons doesn't come from their looks, which is fine IMHO, but because they have no real majesty and they just don't seem special because they really aren't a big part of a Necro strategy.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”