The little things you miss from previous HOMM games

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 12 Jul 2006, 18:57

The things I didn't like about heroes 4 was
1. The art(I thought it was ugly)
2. Heroes NEEDED to max out combat asap or else they would get slaughtered in combat. Low level heroes would get smoked right away unless they could level up enough to get grandmaster combat.
3. Balance in general was weak.

I would like to see the best of heroes 4 and 3. Allow heroes to enter or leave combat. With heroes entering combat gaining superior combat/spell skills to allow players the option to choose how they like to play.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 12 Jul 2006, 20:19

MrSteamTank wrote: 2. Heroes NEEDED to max out combat asap or else they would get slaughtered in combat. Low level heroes would get smoked right away unless they could level up enough to get grandmaster combat.
Not true. I hear it all the time yet I often skimp on combat without that big a problem. Just because some people have trouble doesn't mean it's broken, just that those people haven't explored all the options properly. Using various formations for various fights and using the creatures effectivley to protect your heroes and suchlike.

I'm not saying I think it was perfectly balanced, but all to often people who haven't played enough make claims that this or that is imbalanced. It's not as bad as you make it out to be.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 12 Jul 2006, 21:46

2. Heroes NEEDED to max out combat asap or else they would get slaughtered in combat. Low level heroes would get smoked right away unless they could level up enough to get grandmaster combat.
I have completed all H4 campaigns without taking any combat skill(unless i had no choise- Might or ranger hero) and won numerous mp games without them. Combat is close to must only in small maps.

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 12 Jul 2006, 22:20

Ranged units would smoke you in a single hit if you didnt have the combat skill. You could skimp a bit on combat but you needed at least basic or advanced to be able to take a hit. Combat wasnt just a bonus to let you wade into combat. It was a necessity against any player with an army of a half decent dize.

If heroes were initially tougher(say started with an extra 5-10 defense and 50 more hp) and combat wasnt as powerful or simply added hp then it wouldnt be so bad. Or if you could simply use items to make up for your combat skill deficit then it wouldnt be so bad. But that 60 extra defense is a must in the game when single heroes are facing large stacks of multiple creatures.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 12 Jul 2006, 22:34

MrSteamTank wrote:Ranged units would smoke you in a single hit if you didnt have the combat skill.
Not if you place your heroes behind your creatures, using tight formations. See how easy that was?
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

howgrizzly
Peasant
Peasant
Location: Somewhere out there in the Infernal Plane (Near 52°07'N 20°38'E)

Unread postby howgrizzly » 14 Jul 2006, 06:03

Indral wrote:yep.
no point in listing loads of stuff. i doubt they'll listen anyhow.
for me, H3 is a perfect and beautiful game, all it needed was maybe even MORE creatures..

but people constantly want more, even if you give them what they want.. they want more and more... more graphics more everything..
noone is satisfied..

but i am. i have my H3 and i doubt H5 or any Hx iz going to beat it..

if they put back all creatures from H3, i think maybe i'll play H5 seriously, though.
We must fight and can't let go. Let them feel our breath on there necs :D
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster
and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes into you."
Friedrich Nietzsche

"How long can any man fight the darkness before he finds it in himself." - Sounds familiar? :D

stijn
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby stijn » 20 Jul 2006, 22:20

the zealot from h3 obviously! they looked really cool with their 'i don't care cause i own the world anyways' attitude

rahnefan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby rahnefan » 21 Jul 2006, 12:03

Things I miss from previous games:

1. fun
2. 2d
3. dendroids worth looking at

Sorry, yes you can call me a trolling douchebag, and I am sorry. But I am really disappointed. Haven't played in weeks, and never finished the first campaign.

If the next one is HOMMV +1, then I'm out, for good. Should have taken the good stuff from HOMM4 and made something more like HOMM3.

GrowlingDog
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby GrowlingDog » 23 Jul 2006, 10:38

Well after reading all the requests from everyone over the last 6 pages, i can see how hard (impossible) it would be for UBI to keep all the fans happy all the time. "Prettier flowers", "more creatures", "more sounds", "more dragons", "less dragons", "caravans", "no caravans". You just cant please all the ppl all the time and some ppl will complain about literally anything. Of all the forums for different games, i think heroes has to top out as the game that is most "owned" by the players. Of course, it seems only rite that after playing the game since H1 i too should put my 2 cents worth into the frey. This is from a single player POV.
1. Once i have gotten over the initial "wow thats cool" phase, then i want a game that i can play at a reasonably fast pace, so a long video sequence b4 every fight is out, however when storming a castle i think it is appropriate.
2. I dont like having to micro manage my kingdom, especially in the mid-late game. Collecting creatures/resources from dwellings, transporting troops from far away castles is not something i want to spend a lot of time doing. Summon creatures helps a lot. Caravans would only be good if they couldnt b blocked by a neutral army popping up to block the path.
3. I doubt there is anyone that has played single player that has not reloaded after making a bad decision in battle or direction to go. If there is some way of keeping a record of reloads and then showing it at final score time (i believe the "final score" is in 1.2), that would really help encourage me to try harder and think a lot more before going into battle.
4. In Heroes 3, your main hero would max out in skills too early, in H4, too late. I think H5 is about right but some of the choices are just useless, i mean by the time you can acquire "power of speed", there is a fair chance your hero already has the "haste" spell and being able to cast it for free (whoopee). Skills like "estates" should increase as your hero does, thought that would be a no brainer. In fact a lot of the skills should increase a little as my hero does, i mean dont we all get better at any skill the more we practice it. It would certainly make the skill tree a lot tougher to pick from.
5. In 1 of the H5 maps i was able to change the town that i had conquered into a Necropilis. PLEASE Ubi there must some way this could be brought into all the maps in a balanced way. It always drives me crazy that even if the town i have just conquered only has a town hall, i am still forced to build a town that my hero may despise like a Knight continuing to build a Necropilis. To fight the last big battle with all my Acedemy/Haven troops etc. versus all my opponents troops is what it comes down to for me. But on some maps, the only town that matches my heroes is the one i started with.
6. Apart from maybe a cursed item. why so many items with no description on them. it's just annoying. I mean if UBI had come to sites like this they would know that it wouldnt be long at all before someone puts a complete list up for everyone any way, so it is just a pain in the butt to have to keep a record myself. Oh and i loved the introduction of combined items in i think H3 AB, i thought H5 had done it when i was collecting the dwarven artifacts but it doesn't seem so.
7. Lastly (well for now anyway) all UBIsoft staff that will be making the changes on the next patch, before reading anything here or listening to game testers, go home and play heroes 5 for a month. Stay up till dawn playing it, play it so much that yor g/friend leaves you and your boss "has a word" with you. I guarantee you will have a far better idea of what needs to be changed and what is just fine as it is.

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 23 Jul 2006, 12:30

1st thought, one word comes to mind, "Stabability", a priority!
Actually, a lot of things. Miss water wheel flagging to stay mine once I flagged it. Miss 2 heroes being able to stay in castle at the same time, miss troops being able to leave castle without a hero. Miss 2d. Miss hall of fame for all maps, miss caravans, reload option during battle, and many other things that has slipped my mind right now.

btw, H-4 is still my favorite also. :D but each to their own..
How you Treat people & what You Do or Don't Do will someday come back to "Bite You" or "Bless You". The Choice is Yours & will Affect You Today & Everyday of Your Future. Granny

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 23 Jul 2006, 12:46

GrowlingDog wrote: 6. Oh and i loved the introduction of combined items in i think H3 AB, i thought H5 had done it when i was collecting the dwarven artifacts but it doesn't seem so.
Hmm, H2 had artifact combining. This might be a feature in an expansion of HV.

I don't know about that changing castle alignment stuff, I think I like it the way it is. Why shouldn't you use other monsters, or sacrifice them or convert them etc.

In general I like the thrust of your post and definitely agree that they can't listen to all the fans.

They put in a hall of fame and everyone complains about it even though to me it's a fairly inconsequential detail. Don't get me wrong it's nice but...

@addicted: as of patch 1.2 there is a reload option during battle...or if you prefer not to patch there is a mod.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 23 Jul 2006, 15:08

I think most of all I miss the Zone of Control. Wandering monsters in Heroes V were a good challenge.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

ChinaBlue
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ChinaBlue » 23 Jul 2006, 19:16

I do miss the typical homm addictiveness, like I don't "have to" play anymore.
Maybe for the better anyway, or so i try to convince myself in favor of the other life ;|

stijn
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby stijn » 23 Jul 2006, 21:30

Miss 2 heroes being able to stay in castle at the same time
this is possible, just let one of them enter the garrison, just like in h3

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 23 Jul 2006, 21:48

ChinaBlue wrote:I do miss the typical homm addictiveness, like I don't "have to" play anymore.
Maybe for the better anyway, or so i try to convince myself in favor of the other life ;|
I totally agree with that. Just doesn't seem to have the addictive quality of the old games or anything to really pull you back into it once you've beaten it. I find the single player maps dull and I'm on a 56k dial-up, so multiplayer isn't much of an option.

jomunga
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jomunga » 23 Jul 2006, 23:56

Lacking creatures here in Heroes5. Heroes3 had a wide variety which I loved.

Dark Matter
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dark Matter » 24 Jul 2006, 15:10

Two classes of heroes for each race. e.g. Knight and Cleric. Hard to make a great mage out of a Ranger. ;|
--Under constuction--

LindaG
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LindaG » 27 Jul 2006, 00:25

I find it extremely annoying not being able to see where the enemy troops are when rearraging my own for a battle.

What happened to being able to see the whole battlefield and both armies?

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 27 Jul 2006, 06:53

Eh thats called the tactics phase, you're not supposed too see how the enemy have set up its army.

LindaG
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LindaG » 27 Jul 2006, 14:06

Orfinn wrote:Eh thats called the tactics phase, you're not supposed too see how the enemy have set up its army.
Hm. okay. I still don't like it though. lol.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”