Heroes V review/thoughts

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
thragar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes V review/thoughts

Unread postby thragar » 23 Jun 2006, 20:19

I just put up a review of this game as the first post of my blog about gaming. Let me know if you think what I'm saying is at all accurate.

http://ganktheplanet.blogspot.com

I appreciate it!

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 23 Jun 2006, 22:22

well, there are plenty of things that... well, sorry if you want only praise, i'm only going to point out what i think is bad/should have been better =) That doesn't mean there's nothing good in it, eh.

- Who is this aimed to? In the beginning, it seems you're introducing the game to people who don't know it, but then later on you give your opinion on each faction, getting slightly technical... This is useless to someone who hasn't played the game, as they wouldn't be able to know what the hell is the "level three walker" of the Inferno...
- Mobs? Are we talking about HoMM here...?
- I think you giving a rating of factions or spells is a little bit over the top... Not only could i challenge your opinion on most of what you say, but the important thing is: do the people who read a review about a game they don't know care about knowing if Destructive is better than Summoning? See my first point: who is this aimed at? Also, i think it's way too early (especially without MP) for you to claim that such or such "sucks", or is "overpowered".

That's it for now, sorry if it seems like a lot of criticism, this is only meant for you to get better at it =)

ClownRoyal
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ClownRoyal » 23 Jun 2006, 23:15

I disagree in general, which is only natural, since I really enjoy Heroes V. The review comes off as pretty negative in general, which is fine. I like reading reviews that aren't all about covering up a game's flaws.

I don't agree with your analysis of the factions, and I would expect a bit more detail if you were going to bother reviewing the factions at all. The descriptions are really broad, and mention less than half of the units in the faction.

I would recommend you either expand the in-depth part of the review, or cut it out completely. Pretty much what Gus said above: focus the review for newer players, or go all out and provide some hard info for others.

Minor, but I notice this stuff when I read over things. Colossus plural is Colossuses, instead of Colossi. ( http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Colossus )

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 23 Jun 2006, 23:29

ClownRoyal wrote:Minor, but I notice this stuff when I read over things. Colossus plural is Colossuses, instead of Colossi. ( http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Colossus )
not in Latin ;) same with scenarios (english)/scenari (italian/latin). mafiosos, mafiosi. forums/fora. and so on. Generally, both ways are accepted.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 23 Jun 2006, 23:34

Original post deleted.

Sorry read the title not your post; I agree with much of what you wrote, though I did not start playing prior to the 1.1 patch, so many of the bugs were not there, though the 2nd map had the orange heroes freeze in their position after loading a saved game.
Last edited by Anonymous on 23 Jun 2006, 23:54, edited 2 times in total.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 23 Jun 2006, 23:42

err, did you read the first post ? he wants opinions on what he wrote, not your opinion on the game o.O

thragar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby thragar » 24 Jun 2006, 14:44

Thanks guys, this is exactly what I was looking for. I thought I'd have some fluff and crunch... people can read the review and then come back once they've tried out the game.

I totally expect people to disagree, and that's great too. I can learn some things since I am by no means a master of the game. I would like to hear your take on the factions in the comments of the post.

ClownRoyal: I like the game too. But man, there are a lot of things that get in the way of it being a truly fantastic game (watch for a future post regarding Blizzard).

Gus: Sorry about the cross-gaming nomenclature, but you know.. mobs. =] Thanks for the criticism... since it's a new blog I need tons of that. Feel free to keep criticising on any and all future posts.

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 24 Jun 2006, 20:14

That is an excellent review I must definitely say. If you reviewed more games like this then I'd definitely read more of your stuff. :D

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Jun 2006, 20:31

Nice review.Although,as already said,the end is a bit to technical.But one of the better reviews Ive read so far.

Dublex
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Dublex » 25 Jun 2006, 11:55

You don't really need the stuff about the factions in there as its too far in depth, and at the moment its less of a review and more of a rant, as reviews do mention redeeming features of the game but then explain why they aren't enough to save it or if its a really good game why the game stands out.

Also, never mention what you actually think about the game, as a reviewer is supposed to be objective, and gets what they feel about the game accross without saying exactly what they feel without actually saying it.

Not bad though, the potential problems for the game aren't badly laid out, and the stucture is good for a draft of something that could become a review.

RK
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby RK » 25 Jun 2006, 14:21

Also, never mention what you actually think about the game, as a reviewer is supposed to be objective, and gets what they feel about the game accross without saying exactly what they feel without actually saying it.

:| ;| ;)

saugeen
Peasant
Peasant

Homm5

Unread postby saugeen » 25 Jun 2006, 18:53

You sure are veryvery crittical, I don't know why you bother playing this game if you don't like it, throw it away. I for one, am enoying Homm5. And I like the 3D graphics, Life is too short to so critical. YOU don't have one good thing to say about the game.

thragar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby thragar » 28 Jun 2006, 13:02

Thank you for your viewpoints again. I feel that the "objective" reviews are boring as hell to read. In the end they're never objective anyway (as with any article... ever). I probably should just give more examples to back up my thoughts! Plus, I'm really trying to steer away from taking myself too seriously. I'm not a journalist, but a little blogger. =]

and... I did give a redeeming feature about the game: it's fun. I'm playing it because I like it, despite all it's problems. It's just when I actually think about the game, I think about what could have been, if you know what I mean.

I really don't see why we shouldn't be critical. What would be next for UbiSoft and Nival if we didn't complain? Will they just make us buy a beta and keep patching it (ala Funcom with Anarchy Online)? If people never voiced their displeasure corporations would be walking all over their consumers, getting away with as much as they can.

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 28 Jun 2006, 13:55

No, do voice your complaints. However, do back them up as well =) Chose a target (casual or hardcore, new to the franchise or HoMM expert), and then proceed from there. And refrain from giving too many clear cut opinions on things that you (or anyone else for that matter) cannot objectively have mastered. I strongly advise you against "this or that is over/underpowered". You simply don't know (and once again, i'm not belittling you, as no one does).

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 28 Jun 2006, 18:02

Perhaps a good format would be to start with a description of the product, perhaps with a tie to III and IV. Then would come an objective description of how the game works and a review of the factions, creatures, etc. Then it would be OK to top it off with your own opinions since by now the reader will have enough information to appreciate them.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 28 Jun 2006, 23:28

My opinion on your review makes me think about what my tutor on my project in the final grade of college said: "You speak generally in the first two pages but on the third you (Sv:flummar) don't know what you're talking about".

Your review is inconsistent. You jump back and forth through the entire review and mix newbie stuff with veteran material (lvl three walker for the inferno faction f.e.).

And when giving clearcut opinions on stuff, say why you think like that. I can f.e argue why Summoning magic is better then Destructive magic and I'm convinced that 90% of the members here would agree with me. The other 10% needs to learn more :p

Return to “Heroes V-VI”