Why is there a limitation in the cities?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
schmout
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Why is there a limitation in the cities?

Unread postby schmout » 22 Jun 2006, 02:34

for example Inferno level 3: you cannot do a lot of buildings how do i change the problem

Arstahd
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arstahd » 22 Jun 2006, 04:20

Are you talking about not being able to build structures due to insufficient town level? Just build the structures that you are able to build, each will raise your town level by 1. Eventually you will be able to build the structures that you want.

ClownRoyal
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ClownRoyal » 22 Jun 2006, 04:25

Arstahd wrote:Are you talking about not being able to build structures due to insufficient town level? Just build the structures that you are able to build, each will raise your town level by 1. Eventually you will be able to build the structures that you want.
I think he means that you can't build certain buildings because they are "unavailable to this town" or something like that. I think in that mission you can't build some building upgrades, and other buildings just don't appear at all.

erased. over. out
Pixie
Pixie

Re: Why is there a limitation in the cities?

Unread postby erased. over. out » 22 Jun 2006, 04:30

schmout wrote:for example Inferno level 3: you cannot do a lot of buildings how do i change the problem
That's just the game's way of making you wait for the higher level units or structures later in the campaign. They've disabled it intentionally. Bastards...

Cunning Death
Pixie
Pixie

Re: Why is there a limitation in the cities?

Unread postby Cunning Death » 22 Jun 2006, 04:32

schmout wrote:for example Inferno level 3: you cannot do a lot of buildings how do i change the problem
in earlier campaign maps cities can build up usually to a restricted level. fo example in c2m3 you can't build pit lord dwelling. it's easy to check wheter is due to townpoints or map-restriction that you can't build some building. If nothing was built in the town in the turn, then right clicking in the construction screen on a building reveals the reason why you can not build it. (use the button in the lower right to reveal the whole tree of buildings)

hope I could help
warning! there might be documented features in Heroes V
Water Polo European Championships Hajrá magyarok!

Ari
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ari » 22 Jun 2006, 04:53

The annoying part isn't that they restrict you. That's simply the nature of the beast. The truly frustrating part is that you have *no way of knowing* that you've been restricted. Unlike all previous HOMM's the possible buildings to construct don't appear (even in "red" form) until all prerequisites have been fulfilled. Stupid, stupid, stupid. If I've just conquered two towns in a campaign, I need to use my ESP to discover that one of them can only build units up to level 3, and the other is a fully functional town. So the 10 ore I just sunk into a whatever in the first town to build up its level for the next dwelling is completely wasted (aside from the building's effects, of course).

And of course, since the documention in this game sucks, when I played through the first few campaigns, I found myself saying things like "geez, I *still* can't build the next tier unit?! Ok, let me try building a level *3* mage guild." (not quite as crazy as it sounds; at least one HOMM had a level 2 as a prerequisite for errr, liches, I think). Since you have no way of knowing what you need to build a dragon roost or whatnot as it is, there's no way to even discover that it's been disabled until you realize that there are no more building options at all!

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 22 Jun 2006, 05:39

Ari wrote:The annoying part isn't that they restrict you. That's simply the nature of the beast. The truly frustrating part is that you have *no way of knowing* that you've been restricted. Unlike all previous HOMM's the possible buildings to construct don't appear (even in "red" form) until all prerequisites have been fulfilled. Stupid, stupid, stupid. If I've just conquered two towns in a campaign, I need to use my ESP to discover that one of them can only build units up to level 3, and the other is a fully functional town. So the 10 ore I just sunk into a whatever in the first town to build up its level for the next dwelling is completely wasted (aside from the building's effects, of course).
Or, of course, you could just click on that little scroll when viewing the town build tree that lets you see the entire thing. Then you right click on a building, and it will tell you that the "maximum upgrade level for this town has been reached." Which means that you can't build that building or anything based of it. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Ari
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ari » 22 Jun 2006, 06:02

[quickly fires up game]. Oh, yeah, *that* was sure obvious :). How kind of them to change that icon/button from a scroll to....another scroll to indicate that it does something different in that context. I'm halfway through the dungeon campaign and never even noticed that. Let's see how many brave souls can chime in now admitting this is also their first time seeing that.

It does beg the question, though: if you can have a "Homm3 mode" of building, why on earth do they choose *this* to be their major UI deviation?!

thecheese
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby thecheese » 22 Jun 2006, 06:06

The moral of the story is, never assume you know everything about a game because you played its predecessors. And to click buttons like mad.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 22 Jun 2006, 10:36

Ari wrote:[quickly fires up game]. Oh, yeah, *that* was sure obvious :). How kind of them to change that icon/button from a scroll to....another scroll to indicate that it does something different in that context. I'm halfway through the dungeon campaign and never even noticed that. Let's see how many brave souls can chime in now admitting this is also their first time seeing that.
I didnt notice it either,until Ive read it here.
Ari wrote: It does beg the question, though: if you can have a "Homm3 mode" of building, why on earth do they choose *this* to be their major UI deviation?!
Theyve changed it to look more shiny and to speed up gameplay :devil:
thecheese wrote:The moral of the story is, never assume you know everything about a game because you played its predecessors. And to click buttons like mad.
The moral of the story is:Never buy a game that hasnt got a decent manual.

Doxas
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Doxas » 22 Jun 2006, 11:33

Ari wrote:[quickly fires up game]. Oh, yeah, *that* was sure obvious :). How kind of them to change that icon/button from a scroll to....another scroll to indicate that it does something different in that context. I'm halfway through the dungeon campaign and never even noticed that. Let's see how many brave souls can chime in now admitting this is also their first time seeing that.

It does beg the question, though: if you can have a "Homm3 mode" of building, why on earth do they choose *this* to be their major UI deviation?!
You havent seen it? Even doesnt matter, that when you open city building screen there are only four buttons there? Hmm.. probably it depends on person and the way he plays the game.

kwizzn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kwizzn » 22 Jun 2006, 11:36

Or rather a question of reading the manual, p. 24 (Euro CE, if they are different):

"The building description and the required conditions needed to erect it are shown in the context tip."

"Controls Field
Show simple/detailed plan: show a simple/detailed view of the building plans. The simple view does not enable you to view plans for buildings that you are currently unable to build."

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 22 Jun 2006, 13:14

kwizzn wrote:Or rather a question of reading the manual, p. 24 (Euro CE, if they are different):

"The building description and the required conditions needed to erect it are shown in the context tip."

"Controls Field
Show simple/detailed plan: show a simple/detailed view of the building plans. The simple view does not enable you to view plans for buildings that you are currently unable to build."
In the American Manual, it's pages 21-22.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: why should Ubi bother to make a better manual if nobody's going to read it anyway? :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 22 Jun 2006, 13:24

Bandobras Took wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again: why should Ubi bother to make a better manual if nobody's going to read it anyway? :)
Ive started,but it was so bad that I simply couldnt finish reading it.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Jun 2006, 13:29

Bandobras Took wrote: I've said it before and I'll say it again: why should Ubi bother to make a better manual if nobody's going to read it anyway? :)
I'm sure someone would read it. KI for instance.

But the manual they made is mostly made up of exactly the stuff most people will skip.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 22 Jun 2006, 13:49

ThunderTitan wrote:
Bandobras Took wrote: I've said it before and I'll say it again: why should Ubi bother to make a better manual if nobody's going to read it anyway? :)
I'm sure someone would read it. KI for instance.

But the manual they made is mostly made up of exactly the stuff most people will skip.
And then complain about on the forums. "This manual is crappy, so I won't read it. And why won't they tell us about the interface?" Anybody else seeing a bit of inconsistency?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Jun 2006, 13:56

Don't look at me. I browsed through it to see if there's anything that anyone that's seen a PC game in his life wouldn't know, and there wasn't.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 22 Jun 2006, 14:00

Bandobras Took wrote:And then complain about on the forums. "This manual is crappy, so I won't read it. And why won't they tell us about the interface?" Anybody else seeing a bit of inconsistency?
Yes,it was very nice how they explained the funcions of shift and ctrl keays.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 23 Jun 2006, 00:13

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Bandobras Took wrote:And then complain about on the forums. "This manual is crappy, so I won't read it. And why won't they tell us about the interface?" Anybody else seeing a bit of inconsistency?
Yes,it was very nice how they explained the funcions of shift and ctrl keays.
I was talking rather about those who complain about Ubi not explaining things that they did, in fact, explain. I don't mind legitimate complaints about the game, but not knowing about the expandable town view comes from not reading the manual. Therefore, complaining that it's the game's fault and not one's own fault is not legitimate.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 23 Jun 2006, 07:20

Besides, it's not like that button is invisible until you read the manual...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Return to “Heroes V-VI”