Are the campaigns "fun" or just frustrating?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Alamar
Golem
Golem

Are the campaigns "fun" or just frustrating?

Unread postby Alamar » 16 Jun 2006, 03:08

I'm currently playing through all of the campaigns on heroic difficulty. In general I'm finding that they are dooable esp. if you reload when you mess up.

However I don't really see skill being involved as much as you pretty much have to play most of the maps exactly the way the devs intend and if you deviate from that you will be punished.

I understand, of course, that I could easily lower the difficulty to either easy or normal to make playing it less frustrating at times but that's not really the point .... the campaigns are too linear in how you need to approach the individual scenarios and that's sad.

Am I correct in my impressions or will I find that's just the way that it is?

ClownRoyal
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ClownRoyal » 16 Jun 2006, 03:32

To me they're both, really. I play on a mixture of Normal and Easy mode mostly, since I haven't been at the Heroes game for a while. Some maps I find incredibly frustrating, where I will somehow screw up and lose almost no matter what I do, so I drop it down to Easy mode and suddenly it becomes "too" easy.

Then there are some maps that on Normal just seem like cake walks. I'm able to take over most of the map without much effort, gain exp, get artifacts, build my towns/armies at my leisure, and crush the computer whenever I feel like it.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 16 Jun 2006, 04:02

for the most part i find them fun, there are some irritations, but i can live with them

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 16 Jun 2006, 04:04

The point of campaigns is twofold: story and showing off the scripting and towns.

For challenges, you'll usually want the multiplayer end of things. No AI's ever going to push you around the way a human opponent will.

On normal difficulty, I had to restart the Sylvan mission because I was expecting Demon opponents and leveled up Findan accordingly. This screwed me over on the last map. :)

In general, I had fun playing the campaigns. Few things are as fun as the Necromancer campaign in which you start turning other town types into Necropolises.

I went in expecting fairly linear objectives, though.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 16 Jun 2006, 04:25

The campaigns are funstrating, frusfuntrating, funsrustrating. The storyline sucks.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 16 Jun 2006, 04:54

I think that the storyline has its moments but could definately be better

Mirage
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mirage » 16 Jun 2006, 06:11

I'd say about 80% fun and 20% frustrating. They are a good opportunity to get to know the factions and the story while it isn't inspiring is about on par with what you expect in campaigns at release.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 16 Jun 2006, 07:55

Fun so far and the story is great, yes it is! The characters may not beat the oldies but they have a spirit which make them interesting. Markal is one of my fav in this game, the humans dosent seem to be the good guys after all, just holy fanatics.

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 16 Jun 2006, 10:23

I've found them to be generally frustrating. It really is so unbelievably linear and straightforward that I've had to leave it and go back to playing H4 and H3 just to keep the fun factor up.

The story is not at all remarkable or intersting in any way, it's just there and chugs along until it reaches a conclusion. The first couple of levels in each campaign were interesting as an exploration of the race, building up your primary hero and seeing how things worked and how you could manage with limited troops. Beyond that though, just a dull linear grind that becomes rather slow and pointless after the first two dozen turns (hello C5M5).

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 Jun 2006, 12:37

Didnt find them that much fun,thats why I stopped.But they arent that frustrating to me either.Im used to linear maps,since there is so few of non linear ones in any game,not just heroes.

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 16 Jun 2006, 12:47

Both! 50, 50.. Some maps have certain areas the game starts lagging in slow motion with the mouse pointer jumping all over the place, etc. which they really need to fix (among other things) because this is the most flustrating part.. I also think they need to implement a choice when you lose in a battle, instead of ending the game, they ought to give you a choice to 'replay' your last move prior to going into battle... Story a little boring at times but other than the above so far, I have been enjoying the campaigns for the most part, am about to end my 2nd Campaign so I still have about 4 more campaigns to go.
Long live Homm and M&M!
How you Treat people & what You Do or Don't Do will someday come back to "Bite You" or "Bless You". The Choice is Yours & will Affect You Today & Everyday of Your Future. Granny

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Jun 2006, 15:57

The AI getting all those resources is what's frustrating. Having to wait for a few weeks to get enough troops to defeat the final hero always sucks.

And The fact that the 3 mission is always the hardest/longest doesn't help much either.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 Jun 2006, 16:31

ThunderTitan wrote: And The fact that the 3 mission is always the hardest/longest doesn't help much either.
I found the fourth mission in heaven to be the longest(if you want to explore the whole map,that is).

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 16 Jun 2006, 17:49

The story is mediocre, but it could perhaps have been made a little better if the voice acting was up to par (as in Warcraft III, for example). Many of the missions are too linear and too difficult even on normal difficulty, coming up with a nasty "surprise" and making the player start over, prompting them to take a rigid, preordained path if they want to finish the campaign.

Mainly, what was fun for me was discovering each faction's specials and weaknesses, and a few fun battles including large armies and rich spellbooks, on both sides.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 16 Jun 2006, 20:48

I don't think that the story is weak, come on now, these guys aren't exactly Tolstoys or Hemingways, you can't expect them to write like them. Besides the voice acting isn't bad at all, the dialogue is and it takes down the VOs down with itself.. I especially liked Markal's voice, yes he is like what an evil necro should sound like but the voice also had several hints of lunacy and megalomaniac pride, adding a lot to the character.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 Jun 2006, 21:03

cornellian wrote:I don't think that the story is weak, come on now, these guys aren't exactly Tolstoys or Hemingways, you can't expect them to write like them. Besides the voice acting isn't bad at all, the dialogue is and it takes down the VOs down with itself.. I especially liked Markal's voice, yes he is like what an evil necro should sound like but the voice also had several hints of lunacy and megalomaniac pride, adding a lot to the character.
Play half dead campaign in HIV,and youll see how a mad necromancer should sound like.And you will see that the writing can match tolstoy or hemingway.Play starcraft as well,and youll see how a game story should look like.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Jun 2006, 21:05

The fact that everyone has a different accent is distracting as hell, and the dialogue is retarded. Tolstoy or Hemingway could have written better dialogue at age 5. The problem with the story is that it barely makes sense. It's the storytelling that they fail at. Many a mediocre tails are saved by great presentation. This one isn't.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 16 Jun 2006, 21:38

The basic plot is adequate- pretty standard stuff, but not so much as to get boring (even if I still think that resurrecting the old king as a Vampire and have him wreak havoc is a sign of poorly done research). What really fails is presentation. Voice acting is for the most part laughable, which might be due to the corny text. Whoever wrote the sylvan campaign should not be allowed to write ever again.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 16 Jun 2006, 22:04

cornellian wrote:Besides the voice acting isn't bad at all
To me, it is. The intonation seems off in many cases, and the exaggerated use of RP English is, well, exaggerated.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 16 Jun 2006, 22:46

Gaidal Cain wrote:The basic plot is adequate- pretty standard stuff, but not so much as to get boring (even if I still think that resurrecting the old king as a Vampire and have him wreak havoc is a sign of poorly done research). What really fails is presentation. Voice acting is for the most part laughable, which might be due to the corny text. Whoever wrote the sylvan campaign should not be allowed to write ever again.
I had the same thoughts after doing the H4 Nature campaign. :)

On the other hand, I almost fell out my chair laughing when I reached, "Fine! This is because I like hitting you!" in the Wizard's Campaign. That's nothing other than deliberate self-mockery, and it brought to mind the treaty scene on the light side from MM7 -- ridiculous, and yet somehow fitting.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”