Man this game rocks! (yes it does)

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Braxen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Man this game rocks! (yes it does)

Unread postby Braxen » 15 Jun 2006, 18:37

Just finished my second session of hotseat multiplayer against my old combatant/friend.

Before that I´ve played through the Haven campaign and about 10 duels online.

I´m having a blast with the game!

Haven´t run into any major bugs whatsoever, and I love every minute playing it.

The skills/abilities system is truly formidable.

Just wanted to get it of my chest :)

Linky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Linky » 15 Jun 2006, 19:56

Are you a HoMM veteran or a fresh player?

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 15 Jun 2006, 20:26

The nickname sounds familiair. I think I saw him in the old forums before.

Welcome back.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Mirage
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mirage » 15 Jun 2006, 20:40

It seems to me that people that primarily played 3 instead of 4 are enjoying 5 much more. I never got in to 4 after playing the shoddy game it was at release and I find heroes 5 very enjoyable. Then again there seems to be many people that just like to hate a new game in a series and say how much better the older games are irregardless of whether that is true or not.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 15 Jun 2006, 20:46

I left off in the dungeon campaign and have not picked up since (about a week ago). The game simply lacks a certain something to me. Charm or spirit, if you will.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 15 Jun 2006, 21:04

It's not exactly the game I wanted, but I find it enjoyable nevertheless. I want some good usercreated maps though, the custom ones haven't been too appealing so far.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

HulkaS
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HulkaS » 15 Jun 2006, 21:20

Hehe,i played heroes 4 a lot and played 3rd ones for like 15 mins,lol.(around then i got comp HoMM 4 were released i think)And because like i said i haven't almost played HoMM 3 this games looks really nice for me,well it had lost it charms on campains but then i put everything to the fastest mode and use quick battles exept for the huge battles that you're supposed to win and finish mission.And yeah game is more or less awsome i just wish they would make map editor faster. :D

ryanmax51
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ryanmax51 » 16 Jun 2006, 01:37

yeah man i was the same i played homm4 when it was first released and was put off for ages untill they released the fixed hotseat patch so i could play with my brother and mates, i loved homm3 much more than homm5 but homm5's graphics are surperb, gameplay is okay but the computers could be a little more aggresive and the maps bigger, as stated also its not the game i was expecting at release from ubisoft as they said it wont be another homm4 so far from what ive seen it has been.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 16 Jun 2006, 02:24

nice thoughts braxen .... i agree with you as well, it is a good game, great even, and will get better (i hope) with continued support from ubi

ClownRoyal
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ClownRoyal » 16 Jun 2006, 02:28

I've not really run into any bugs either, and I also really like this skill system. My only real complaints are the obvious ones, such as the lack of a map editor, poor AI, and lack of maps. This game would get about 10 times better for me if they would introduce the Stronghold/Barbarian faction or the Fortress faction back into the game.

Anyone else miss the two-hero setup of HoMM3 towns? One might, one magic, that was nice.

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 16 Jun 2006, 03:04

ClownRoyal wrote:I've not really run into any bugs either, and I also really like this skill system. My only real complaints are the obvious ones, such as the lack of a map editor, poor AI, and lack of maps. This game would get about 10 times better for me if they would introduce the Stronghold/Barbarian faction or the Fortress faction back into the game.

Anyone else miss the two-hero setup of HoMM3 towns? One might, one magic, that was nice.
Incoorporating that and 2 extra factions should be the main goals of the expansion. However, to be honest I'd like to see bigger battlefields when facing against enemy heroes(neutrals can remain the same so the game isn't slowed down so much) and heroes always being able to cast their spells first in the first turn of combat regardless of initiative as having a spell casting something significantly before another can be too big of a boost.

Also perhaps incoorporating a 'enter combat' mode for heroes where they can use a turn to either enter or exit combat(automatically making you entire combat when your army dies) and fight like heroes 4. It would be the best of both worlds for people who both like the heroes 3 combat system and for people who like the heroes 4 combat system.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 16 Jun 2006, 04:06

I'm primarily a heroes 2 player and I'm having a great time. I skipped over heroes 3, no reason in particular, and went right to heroes 4. I had fun with it, but it wasn't my favorite game due to imbalances and the fog of war.

I'm loving heroes 5 and I think Nival did an excellent job of capturing the feel of heroes 2...

Another 2 factions in an expansion would be great!!!

Doxas
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Doxas » 16 Jun 2006, 07:02

Same here. I like Heroes5, at first it was lacking something, but after couple of weeks I tried playing it again, and now I am enjoying it. Still cant wait for Editor, so I could remake some very good maps from Heroes2.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 16 Jun 2006, 07:46

Agree completely. The game is great, but still needs some polishing. Nevertheless I im enjoying playing it alot! Also I feel it will be even spicier with more patches and expansions, cant wait! :-D

Linky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Linky » 16 Jun 2006, 12:07

The game has huge potential. I'm confident that we don't need Heroes 6 to get ourselves another HoMM gem - this one can be shaped to be the best of the series.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Jun 2006, 16:02

I don't know why but for me it lacks a certain charm. As a game it's pretty good, and with some work can be made even better, but i doubt it will ever be better then H3.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 16 Jun 2006, 17:07

ThunderTitan wrote:I don't know why but for me it lacks a certain charm. As a game it's pretty good, and with some work can be made even better, but i doubt it will ever be better then H3.
Because...? Because of the "not so good" story? Let it evolve, this is after all the first game in this new "universe" The oldies had like MM1-9 +Homm 1-4 + expansions, no wonder the storyline especially in H3 was so great. I bet after 10 or so more homm games about Ashan, it will be just as great as the old sagas storyline. And features from H4 will be included, just give them time, they play it safe now, maybe too well since some of us suspect them for hate and/or ignore every tiny thing about H4 and that they wont be included.
This wont be the fatal ending of homm IMO.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Jun 2006, 17:24

Orfinn wrote: This wont be the fatal ending of homm IMO.
There I agree. Like I said, it a good game, just not anything great. And by they way it shaped up i'm not expecting them to improve it by that much.

It's just the "feel" of the universe that is rather weak. And if you read the letters from the H1 manual KI put up you'd know it wasn't time that made the story good. Time is what made the universe a mess.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 Jun 2006, 17:33

Orfinn wrote: This wont be the fatal ending of homm IMO.
Lets just hope it wont die out slowly like C&C.

seancdaug
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Man this game rocks! (yes it does)

Unread postby seancdaug » 17 Jun 2006, 04:18

Braxen wrote:Just wanted to get it of my chest :)
Amen.

I'm very much enjoying the game, even though I have run into a few bugs (events not triggering in campaign missions, mainly). Which surprises me, as someone who quite liked Heroes IV. I wish some of the problems had been addressed before release, but those that do remain haven't really struck me as the show-stopping variety. Then again, maybe I'm just desensitized to problems with PC game initial releases: it took three or four patches before I could get Civilization IV to run on my computer at all. Compared to that, Heroes V is polished to a shine ;)

I particularly like the campaigns this time around: they've got more variety to 'em than the initial batch of Heroes III campaigns, and cohere better as an overall story than the Heroes IV campaigns. Which does help make up for the lack of decent single scenario maps for the time being. It would be nice if Nival and Ubisoft would pick up the speed on providing more maps, though, or at least get the map editor out.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”