Thoughts on the underground terrain?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
erased. over. out
Pixie
Pixie

Thoughts on the underground terrain?

Unread postby erased. over. out » 14 Jun 2006, 06:46

I was thoroughly impressed with the layout of the underground terrain- especially the lighting. I love how you can see numerous tree roots traversing the caverns here and there as well. It really feels like you are well, how should I put it...underground! A big improvement from the rather bland subterranean levels from Heroes 3 and 4. What say you?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 14 Jun 2006, 07:15

It really is beautiful and realistinc.You simply have to love it!Until you realisie you have to spin your camera like crazy every two minutes.Then you have to hate it! :disagree:

Cunning Death
Pixie
Pixie

Re: Thoughts on the underground terrain?

Unread postby Cunning Death » 14 Jun 2006, 07:27

erased. over. out wrote:I was thoroughly impressed with the layout of the underground terrain- especially the lighting. I love how you can see numerous tree roots traversing the caverns here and there as well. It really feels like you are well, how should I put it...underground! A big improvement from the rather bland subterranean levels from Heroes 3 and 4. What say you?
I absolutely like it as well as the whole new graphics, this new engine is really good :applause: (apart from the few glitches...)
H3 underground was a great idea, the H4 was a bit better, but H5 rocks!

but

you all know what's behind this but.... (:bug:)

C.D.
warning! there might be documented features in Heroes V
Water Polo European Championships Hajrá magyarok!

Arstahd
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arstahd » 14 Jun 2006, 07:57

DaemianLucifer wrote:It really is beautiful and realistinc.You simply have to love it!Until you realisie you have to spin your camera like crazy every two minutes.Then you have to hate it! :disagree:
Exactly.

While it looks nice, I absolutely HATE the underground. It's so hard to actually see or do anything because of those damn cavern walls that it can drive you crazy.

Form should follow function. The developers should have concentrated on making the underground fun and fair before tricking it out with fancy displays and useless eye candy that does nothing but impede gameplay. Starting underground is a serious handicap over starting topside. This is just another of the seemingly endless little flaws that makes this game a chore to play.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 14 Jun 2006, 08:20

I like the underground much more than the past ones, since it feels like going underground, dark, with few light sources and a claustrofobic feel :devious: IMO its easy to navigate with the cam, have no problems with it neither on surface or underground. Have to get used to it, tough it can always be improved.

Rapier
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Rapier » 14 Jun 2006, 09:33

I don't have any trouble whatsoever with navigating the underground, maybe I would if my computer was lower spec, I don't know, but as it is, a single right click and mouse movement isn't going to kill me, which is pretty much all it takes.

Nival are apparently working on a solution so that you never have to change the camera though... but it doesn't involve transparency (which is the obvious thing to do imo). Maybe it'll be a button that highlights all intractable locations + floor objects... a la the commandoes series.
~ Rapier.

HulkaS
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HulkaS » 14 Jun 2006, 10:08

Yeah it looks awsome and personally i don't mind rotating camera.

Paradox
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Paradox » 14 Jun 2006, 11:18

I hope in the map editor we can put any terrain we want down there, then maybe we could compensate for the small map sizes by doing both with grass or something, just like an "extension" of the overworld :)

ClownRoyal
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ClownRoyal » 16 Jun 2006, 02:21

I love the style and doodads in the underground for Heroes V. Those little glowing crystal things, the darkness, roots, tall columns of rock are all nice touches. I do find it annoying that I have to constantly shift my camera view though. I tend to keep the angle at the "traditional" viewpoint because I'm just used to it after playing HoMM 1-3 for so long. I think it would have been nice for us to be able to still click anywhere we can see, instead of the game thinking the cursor is actually on that invisible column of rock between you and your hero.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 16 Jun 2006, 02:22

again, I like the look, but the camera moves are a tad annoying for me

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 16 Jun 2006, 04:12

While the walls fade out in the underground (at least on my system), somebody neglected to tell the mouse that; it thinks you're trying to move your hero onto a wall rather than pick up the treasure chest next to the wall. Other than that, I've had no problems.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 16 Jun 2006, 06:35

I am used to an underground with tunnels connecting larger areas. What we have now is a complete level.

There are very few landscape objects there. And I despise the blue crystal things. I would have appreciated a Create Light spell to make things in visual range easier to see.

Finally, there is no value to the overhangs and they are real nuisance.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”