What Units would you like to see in a Snow Town Expansion?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Jun 2006, 19:48

Jimmpi wrote:Hmm, I thought there already was a thread there people was talking about an dwarven town(that would have snow as "home" terrain")
Well you can always use some other races then dwarves.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 14 Jun 2006, 20:31

Genesis wrote:I'd like to see some of the old creatures reappearing - I don't like the way the Heroes 5 towns tend to be focussed round one race. Having said that, we do, of course, need a commanding race - the Dwarves with this one obviously. Here are a few ideas of mine (of course, just a brainstorm).

Tier 1 - Troglodyte Serf/Troglodyte Thrall
Reasoning: Trogs are an underground race, as are the Dwarves. Seeing as they are also a weak race often confined to servitude, it would make sense for the Troglodytes to fulfil a slave cannon-fodder race function (especially seeing as Dwarves are too funky to have as a measly level 1 race). Also, it distances Heroes 5 from Warcraft and Gnomes because, to be honest, Gnomes and Dwarves seems to be a bit of an overused alliance. Maybe Gnomes would be good as neutrals.

Tier 2 - Dwarf Hammerer/Dwarf Thunderer
Reason: Just thinking up a couple of new names for those Dwarves, seeing as 'warriors' don't tend to be shooters. It would be nice to see hammer-throwing Dwarves anyhow.

Tier 3 - Dwarven Geomancer/Dwarven Elementalist
Nice one.

Tier 4 - Centaur/Centaur Captain
Reason: I've always liked the Centaur from the Narnia perspective and, though the last Narnia film was crap, I liked that Centaur commander. The Centaur worked well with the Dwarves in the Rampart town in Heroes 3, and it would be nice to see them work together again, albeit in a chillier climate. I'd rather see them with the Dwarves than the Orcs in any case.

Tier 5 - Dwarf Einheriar/Dwarf Thane
Reason: I'm not sure whether I like your Weapon- or Rune-masters idea (especially due to your inclusion of another spell casting dwarf unit), so I've decided to put in the Einheriar - literally, in Old Norse, 'one man army'. Obviously, that's not the intention, but I've always fancied the Dwarves as extremely hard-hitting combat fighters and your list seems to lack Dwarves made for that purpose.

Tier 6 - Valkyrie Maiden/Valkyrie Disir
Reason: Pretty much just a breast of fresh ass... sorry, breath of fresh air for a predominantly male (and VERY masculine) army. It would be a nice way to add those Pegasi back into the game as well as giving a flying creature to an army very firmly attatched to the ground. As a nice twist (as well as adhering to the Dwarven theme), the Valkyries themselves could be female DWARVES.

Tier 7 - Behemoth/Ancient Behemoth
Reason: I always wandered why an extremely furry creature lived in the desert in previous games. What makes the Behemoth especially viable in the Dwarven Town is the presence of Grendel in the old Beowulf saga - big, monstrous and hairy. I'm sure he'll fit right in.
...twisted goat-like creatures like the Tanngrisnir. In Norse mythology, they would drag Thor's chariot.
So why not have them as a hero's mount/chariot-puller?
You're tier 5 idea is somewhat similar to the dwarf runemaster idea I put down. Only difference is I wanted to add in a spell resistance theme to the town in general and wanted spell immunity on a tougher melee unit. Perhaps I made him a little weak for a tier 5 unit but the general idea is the same. As for giving him spellcasting that was purely for flavour as he is mainly designed to be a spell immune melee unit through and through.

The tier 4/6 units I designed can surely be swapped as I never thought them as too original. However, I do like the idea of a super giant mammoth type ultimate unit with a big canopy on the top with perhaps a giant ballista manned by a pair of dwarves on the top which would be a solid tank melee unit that absolutely excells in castle siege environments. That and have the distinction of having the highest hp in the game thus reinforcing the dwarves defensive nature. I'm not too fond of the current behemoth and although I don't mind the idea of one I never liked the way they always put him down artistically in all the previous homm.

Genesis
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Genesis » 14 Jun 2006, 20:47

MrSteamTank wrote: You're tier 5 idea is somewhat similar to the dwarf runemaster idea I put down. Only difference is I wanted to add in a spell resistance theme to the town in general and wanted spell immunity on a tougher melee unit. Perhaps I made him a little weak for a tier 5 unit but the general idea is the same. As for giving him spellcasting that was purely for flavour as he is mainly designed to be a spell immune melee unit through and through.
Ah, well he just sounded a bit too much of a wizard.
The tier 4/6 units I designed can surely be swapped as I never thought them as too original. However, I do like the idea of a super giant mammoth type ultimate unit with a big canopy on the top with perhaps a giant ballista manned by a pair of dwarves on the top which would be a solid tank melee unit that absolutely excells in castle siege environments. That and have the distinction of having the highest hp in the game thus reinforcing the dwarves defensive nature. I'm not too fond of the current behemoth and although I don't mind the idea of one I never liked the way they always put him down artistically in all the previous homm.
I like the idea of this mammoth, but the real challenge will be to fit a mammoth manned by a few Dwarves and a bigass ballista on a 2x2 square without it looking too small or squashed.

Anyway, what do you think about my tier 1 suggestion?

Leon_Shore
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Leon_Shore » 14 Jun 2006, 21:42

I'm probably in the minority here when I want the Siberian Tiger (white tiger) back from Heroes4. Tank, good stats, speed, initiative, first strike, no retaliation, AND 'stalk' ability.

Tiger (base unit): No retaliation, Stalk ability.

Siberian Tiger (upgraded unit): No retal, Stalk, First Strike ability.

Stalk ability*: Those with the Stalk ability are invisible to enemy units until contact is made on the battlefield. So in other words, until a tiger is next to an enemy unit, you can't see it. The exception to invisibility would obviously be to the hero who controls the tigers.

*Stalk ability is limited however. Tiger/Siberian can only stalk on certain terrains. For instance, the Siberian Tiger can't use stalk when fighting on grass. Tiger can't use stalk when fighting in the dessert. Because the Tiger will have more opportunities for stalk, the Siberian will have stats boosts and an extra ability. Therefore, the Tiger may a better choice in certain maps compared to the Siberian Tiger. Both will be VERY useful, so you can't go wrong either way.

Finally, the tigers seem to be overpowered by their skills alone. Along with decent stats they may be considered 'cheap'. If that's how it turns out, the creature growth rate can be modified to balance this. Black dragons in h4 had a rate of 1 per week for the same reason.

*EDIT* A hero who specializes in tigers would be awesome. A catwoman would make my day. Part feline, part human, and very attractive. Imagine the girl of your dreams but with pointy ears and a tail. Oh please Nival! Please realize my fantas...er, I mean my ideas into digital reality! Also, a custom heroine model with a sexy portrait isn't too much to ask right?! *Crosses fingers*
Last edited by Leon_Shore on 14 Jun 2006, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 14 Jun 2006, 21:50

Image Penguins! I want Penguins! Happy Penguins! Gimme Penguins!

Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Jun 2006, 21:55

I can see it now, the mighty lvl. 7 Dragon being pecked to death by a bunch of Rabid Killer Penguins.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 15 Jun 2006, 03:54

The tiger idea sounds nice but I wouldn't make it simply a tiger. More like a sabre toothed tiger although I must definitely say that the stalking ability sounds awesome. :D They can stay powerful and allow them to stalk in every battlefield just balance them via a higher than normal price tag and a pricier building.

The troglodyte suggestion is good mainly because it leaves gnomes open for a techology themed faction with could easily be used in the future. I'm pretty impartial to them but it would depend hugely on the art and how they were implemented as a troop.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Jun 2006, 08:12

MrSteamTank wrote:The troglodyte suggestion is good mainly because it leaves gnomes open for a techology themed faction with could easily be used in the future. I'm pretty impartial to them but it would depend hugely on the art and how they were implemented as a troop.
Remember the death threats?I dont think even ubi is ready to deal with those,so this aint happening.

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 15 Jun 2006, 12:31

DaemianLucifer wrote:
MrSteamTank wrote:The troglodyte suggestion is good mainly because it leaves gnomes open for a techology themed faction with could easily be used in the future. I'm pretty impartial to them but it would depend hugely on the art and how they were implemented as a troop.
Remember the death threats?I dont think even ubi is ready to deal with those,so this aint happening.
Please elaborate as I've only tried homm 3 and 4. The only ones I ever bought were 2 and 5. Haven't kept tabs on what happened with 4 and 4 expos. :-D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Jun 2006, 12:52

MrSteamTank wrote: Please elaborate as I've only tried homm 3 and 4. The only ones I ever bought were 2 and 5. Haven't kept tabs on what happened with 4 and 4 expos. :-D
That wouldbe H3 AB he'd be talking about. At first there was no conflux, but a Forge town, which was a futuristic town with half-machine creatures (nagas, goblinss, zombies etc.). Some people in the community didn't react very well to it.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 15 Jun 2006, 13:20

ThunderTitan wrote:
MrSteamTank wrote: Please elaborate as I've only tried homm 3 and 4. The only ones I ever bought were 2 and 5. Haven't kept tabs on what happened with 4 and 4 expos. :-D
That wouldbe H3 AB he'd be talking about. At first there was no conflux, but a Forge town, which was a futuristic town with half-machine creatures (nagas, goblinss, zombies etc.). Some people in the community didn't react very well to it.
Your talent for understatement is marvelous. :)

I wouldn't mind a Dwarf/Gnome mechanical town. High-tech is a bit too much, in my opinion, but those are two races you expect to come with clever contraptions.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 15 Jun 2006, 13:26

Bandobras Took wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:
Your talent for understatement is marvelous. :)

I wouldn't mind a Dwarf/Gnome mechanical town. High-tech is a bit too much, in my opinion, but those are two races you expect to come with clever contraptions.
Well you could do steampunk and have stuff like steamtanks if thats what you mean. I could see it fitting in this game if it was well done concept and art-wise. It almost seems like the infernos hero should of been in a forge town considering he almost looks like a robot lol. :-D

Although it seems like academy already partially did it with repairing tier 1 gremlins and lots of mechanical creatures. They could go further with the theme but it almost seems a must for the tier 1-2 'gnome' unit to have a repair ability and that would almost be a copy from the academy.

I could even see engineering as a primary for the tech race allowing the main hero to build and upgrade garrisons anywhere on the map(walls, towers, moats, etc). Obviously to prevent imbalance put them in at a cost and allow opponents to 'loot' them when an army stack is destroyed on top of them thus preventing them from getting spammed on the map.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Jun 2006, 13:35

Bandobras Took wrote: Your talent for understatement is marvelous. :)
I rather think of it as subtlety, thank you very much.

Well the good ol' Dragon Golem would fit well in a mechanical town, but I think that one would better fit in the Dwarven Town thread then the Snow town one.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Jun 2006, 14:06

Bandobras Took wrote:I wouldn't mind a Dwarf/Gnome mechanical town. High-tech is a bit too much, in my opinion, but those are two races you expect to come with clever contraptions.
I dont.I expect my dwarves to be smiths,but not engineers.
MrSteamTank wrote: Well you could do steampunk and have stuff like steamtanks if thats what you mean. I could see it fitting in this game if it was well done concept and art-wise. It almost seems like the infernos hero should of been in a forge town considering he almost looks like a robot lol. :-D

Although it seems like academy already partially did it with repairing tier 1 gremlins and lots of mechanical creatures. They could go further with the theme but it almost seems a must for the tier 1-2 'gnome' unit to have a repair ability and that would almost be a copy from the academy.

I could even see engineering as a primary for the tech race allowing the main hero to build and upgrade garrisons anywhere on the map(walls, towers, moats, etc). Obviously to prevent imbalance put them in at a cost and allow opponents to 'loot' them when an army stack is destroyed on top of them thus preventing them from getting spammed on the map.
Please no.If you want steampunk or cyber punk then ask for a new heroes game.But I want my current HoMM to be technology free.Golems are magical constructs and can pass.Gremlins and the remote control ability I object too,by they are just at the limit.
ThunderTitan wrote: I rather think of it as subtlety, thank you very much.
What you think isnt always what is.

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 15 Jun 2006, 15:23

DaemianLucifer wrote: I dont.I expect my dwarves to be smiths,but not engineers.
Yeah, that is the gnomes' job. So if gnomes will be in a dwarven town, and they should, mechanical units wouldn't be too far fetched.
DaemianLucifer wrote: Please no.If you want steampunk or cyber punk then ask for a new heroes game.But I want my current HoMM to be technology free.
You are aware of the ancients right? That you fought with laser cannons in Might and Magic series? Besides, if I am constantly in war with practically everyone else in the universe, and if I am a genius in engineering and smithing, I would try to come up with mechanical stuff that could give me an edge. I prefer a Frost/Ice Giant as the Tier 7 unit of a dwarven race, but something like a 2x2 gnome controlled robot for a tier 5 creature wouldn't be bad...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Jun 2006, 15:40

cornellian wrote:You are aware of the ancients right? That you fought with laser cannons in Might and Magic series?
There arent ancients in this universe.I didnt play M&M,but as far as I can remember,those laser cannons were what made the fans hate forge so much.
cornellian wrote: Besides, if I am constantly in war with practically everyone else in the universe, and if I am a genius in engineering and smithing, I would try to come up with mechanical stuff that could give me an edge. I prefer a Frost/Ice Giant as the Tier 7 unit of a dwarven race, but something like a 2x2 gnome controlled robot for a tier 5 creature wouldn't be bad...
Yes,it would.And we already have a 2x2 robot,ecept it is called colosus/titan :disagree:

Masterclass
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Masterclass » 15 Jun 2006, 15:50

hi, i am new here.

Fell in love with the first heroes game almost 9 years ago and never missed a heroes game since then.

Heroes IV was a bit of a letdown though, but i do not mind... its easier to criticise than to make a game.

Anyway, played Heroes V, Nival did a really nice job, introducing new concepts and i enjoyed the game very much.

Now, for the Snow based town, i think it should be a dwarven based and some of the creatures would be something like this (susceptible to change)

For level 7 most of all, all those dragons, titans... i think its time for a change, the behemoth is a good idea, but i save it for the stronghold. instead i would suggest the fenrir of the Norse mythology. The wolf that bit of the hand of a god, Tyr (the god of war). But in the game, it could be allies of the dwarves against the dragons...

Level 6, Frost giants would be nice

Level 5, Valkyries, like Genesis suggested

level 4, i would put in dwarven shooters/infantry- guns!!!

level 3, Dwarven geomancers or elementalist, like Genesis suggested also

level 2, dwarven warriors

level 1, something else, not sure what to put in.

Note that these are just a few ideas i can think of. Feel free to comment on it.

Warlock
Pixie
Pixie

Re: What Units would you like to see in a Snow Town Expansio

Unread postby Warlock » 15 Jun 2006, 15:52

MrSteamTank wrote:
Warlock wrote:
MrSteamTank wrote:Tier 7 - Oliphant/War Oliphant
This isn't LotR -_-
The names don't even matter the general idea of the unit does. I was thinking of something with the size of an oliphant from lotr with the upgraded version having a large canopy on the top. Obviously with the mammoth shaggy fur to make it 'snow' themed. Names for example like dwarf warrior and gnome soldier are just there because I couldn't think of something better.

Anyways lotr references are absolutely everwhere. Why are elves always sleek and agile and not small like santa claus elves? So an oliphant is not such a stretch of the imagination.
So call them elephants :) Oliphants are clearly a LotR thing (and probably copywrited). It's like saying you want to see Uruk-hai :P

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: What Units would you like to see in a Snow Town Expansio

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Jun 2006, 15:54

Warlock wrote:So call them elephants :) Oliphants are clearly a LotR thing (and probably copywrited). It's like saying you want to see Uruk-hai :P
And who doesnt? :devil:

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 15 Jun 2006, 16:42

Well the good ol' Dragon Golem would fit well in a mechanical town
Yes it could fit well in a mech town but please no more dragon golems anyway! Gah its the lamest thing I have ever seen in any homm game 8|
Were talking about a snow based town, the academy is hi-tech enough as it is!
There cant be that hard to have primitive gnomes and dwarves using other things than guns'n techs is it? Bombs are the farthes of hi-tech I can go with.

Anyway a dwarven/gnomish snow town could be like this.

Lvl 1: Gnome Tracker - Gnome Spy
Lvl 2: Dwarven Axemaster/Cleaver - Dwarven Smasher/Hammermaster
Lvl 3: Wolf - Arctic Wolf
Lvl 4: Dwarven Warmaster (these could have more hp, attack and dmg than lords but cant produce any gold each day) - Dwarven Lord (similar to the peasants each lord could produce ca 25-50 gold each day while warmasters can not)
Lvl 5: Drake - Fire Drake
Lvl 6: Giant Hawk - Icebird
Lvl 7: Giant - Frost Giant

or....

Lvl 1: Owl - Tracker Owl
Lvl 2: Gnome Spy - Gnome Magister (some kind of Alchemist only with bombs:)
Lvl 3: Wolf - Snow Wolf
Lvl 4: Drake - Ice Drake
Lvl 5: Dwarven Axemaster - Dwarven Warlord
Lvl 6: Firebird - Frost Eagle
Lvl 7: Behemoth - Ancient Behemoth

And remember an upg dosent need to be a sex change or a biological evolution from the basic, more like a replacement. "Hey you guys are useless, now we are in and you out, we are much better, get outta here!" :tongue: Or like with my firebird and frost eagle, both basic and upg should be useful, while firebird can take a serious beating from fire based attacks and spells, the frost eagle cannot, instead they resist cold based attacks and spells instead. Following the peasant - conscript formula should be in a much larger scale in future expansions than it is now.
Last edited by Orfinn on 15 Jun 2006, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”