Name the Units you Find Overpowered!!!

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
thecheese
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby thecheese » 14 Jun 2006, 18:26

Considering the overall state of the Inferno armies, she can stay that way. It's not that detrimnetal, provided you just be smart and don't shoot her.

djtc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby djtc » 14 Jun 2006, 18:46

Definitely Ghosts/Spirits... their evasion seems to be so high or at least so random that it can get extremely annoying, and I mean really really annoying.
Once on inferno campaign I had to face 40 ghosts in one group, they evaded like TEN or so times ! Besides it's frustrating, I got like 30+ creatures killed (of which 2 Hell chargers) by such a ridiculous threat...

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 14 Jun 2006, 19:29

Druids, Mages, and Pit Fiends are overpowered when you first get them. Caster creatures in general weren't implimented very well n Heroes 5.

juventas
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby juventas » 14 Jun 2006, 21:33

The only one I agree with is Cavaliers/Paladins. At level 20 and 40 Paladins, Klaus can do 15,000 damage to tier 6 creatures when charging across the screen. Specializations are supposed to give advantages, but this is ridiculous.

djtc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby djtc » 14 Jun 2006, 22:14

I agree with Cavaliers/Paladins too.
After spending alot of time in Haven last mission, I could get rid of the huge inferno garnison, and realized how powerful these units were.
Striking first, my 84 Paladins almost out-matched 100 Devils during the fight... I liked it of course, but it's clearly unbalanced.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 14 Jun 2006, 22:58

I haven't found any to be dramatically overpowered. Paladins are strong, but not too strong.

But then, I favor Inferno, which means that High Initiative stacks are merely ideal fodder for Mark of the Damned, and even High-level ground-pounders turn into Dog Meat.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 14 Jun 2006, 23:00

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Gus wrote:As for the Marksmen (or any ranged attacker, i guess) being attacked on the first turn (cf. Campaigner's post)... Well, you know you can put Marksmen in the corner, with Squires in the diagonal, and tada, they're protected from large creatures.
Doesnt work against cerbery with a hero that has tactics.
1) What part of "large creatures" didn't you get exactly? ;)
2) Requires quite a setup, right?
3) you could split the Squires and put them both in front of the Archers.

In any case, i was just pointing out that it's not so easy to attack ranged attackers in the backrow on the first turn of combat.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 15 Jun 2006, 00:35

i didn't get the dragon bit ... you know, the bit where they hit both units in a line??

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 15 Jun 2006, 00:42

There are plenty of workarounds for that. Tactics, natural obstacles, etc... Once again, you can try to find any exception you want, the fact remains it is far from "always" that you can hit Ranged units on turn 1.

Mirage
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mirage » 15 Jun 2006, 01:24

Master Hunters are fairly overpowered I would say

Paladins do a ton of dmg considering they have such high initiative and movement.

Succubi and the chainshot + shot retaliation are a bit crazy as well.

but really I can't say that they should be nerfed at this point. Too early to tell.

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 15 Jun 2006, 03:48

Gus wrote:There are plenty of workarounds for that. Tactics, natural obstacles, etc... Once again, you can try to find any exception you want, the fact remains it is far from "always" that you can hit Ranged units on turn 1.
No most of the time it's pure luck and hoping you don't place your units directly in front of his with tactics. That is not a good idea in a strategy game. Naturally sometimes their are obstacles although not always(luck yet again) and grouping your units together isn't the best idea against anybody with AoE abilities. They are easy to attain with every hero and many caster stacks have them as well.

zhuge
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby zhuge » 15 Jun 2006, 06:23

thecheese wrote:Considering the overall state of the Inferno armies, she can stay that way. It's not that detrimnetal, provided you just be smart and don't shoot her.
If the Succubus is blocked by another unit, the ranged retal won't occur and if you use the Archer's Scatter Shot, you won't activate retaliation either (though damage will be halved) so there are some ways to get around it.
Certainly an irritating unit to face on the battlefield but I fully agree that since Inferno is not particularly strong in the first place, the Succubus should remain as it is.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Jun 2006, 08:31

thecheese wrote:Considering the overall state of the Inferno armies, she can stay that way. It's not that detrimnetal, provided you just be smart and don't shoot her.
Unless you have dumb balista in your ranks. :disagree:

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 15 Jun 2006, 08:31

Also, I find that those powerful units like Paladins, Blood Fury's are the main target for AI units so I think this is a kind of balancing the game.

But I find that this magic damage reduction from units which cast spells is quite anoying. I know that a nearly 1000 Meteor Shower damage from 27 Pit Lords would be devastatating, but please, only 360 damage! The spells are the units main strenght, because it's too slow for attacking. There's Teleport Asualt but what about sieges?
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Jun 2006, 08:47

dragonn wrote:But I find that this magic damage reduction from units which cast spells is quite anoying. I know that a nearly 1000 Meteor Shower damage from 27 Pit Lords would be devastatating, but please, only 360 damage! The spells are the units main strenght, because it's too slow for attacking. There's Teleport Asualt but what about sieges?
Theres always weaknes and gating against those unit.

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 15 Jun 2006, 11:58

MrSteamTank wrote:
Gus wrote:There are plenty of workarounds for that. Tactics, natural obstacles, etc... Once again, you can try to find any exception you want, the fact remains it is far from "always" that you can hit Ranged units on turn 1.
No most of the time it's pure luck and hoping you don't place your units directly in front of his with tactics. That is not a good idea in a strategy game. Naturally sometimes their are obstacles although not always(luck yet again) and grouping your units together isn't the best idea against anybody with AoE abilities. They are easy to attain with every hero and many caster stacks have them as well.
Well, obviously, if your opponent has fast units, great combat stats, and great Destruction/AoE stats, you're toast. Then again, how many times does THAT happen?
You guys were talking about Blood Furies or Paladins crossing the battlefield. If that is so deadly, then you probably prefer to force an AoE rather than being hit by those. And then you could get Magic Resistance/Protection. And no matter what the obstacles are, you can ALWAYS block the path to a Ranged Unit of yours on turn 1. ALWAYS.
Once again, i'm not saying the combat system is perfect or anything, but it is purely and simply wrong to say that one can always reach ranged units on turn 1 of the battle. wrong.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 15 Jun 2006, 12:17

Gus wrote:And no matter what the obstacles are, you can ALWAYS block the path to a Ranged Unit of yours on turn 1. ALWAYS.
Unless the ranged unit happens to be a lich...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 15 Jun 2006, 12:28

Gus wrote:
MrSteamTank wrote:
Well, obviously, if your opponent has fast units, great combat stats, and great Destruction/AoE stats, you're toast. Then again, how many times does THAT happen?
You guys were talking about Blood Furies or Paladins crossing the battlefield. If that is so deadly, then you probably prefer to force an AoE rather than being hit by those. And then you could get Magic Resistance/Protection. And no matter what the obstacles are, you can ALWAYS block the path to a Ranged Unit of yours on turn 1. ALWAYS.
Once again, i'm not saying the combat system is perfect or anything, but it is purely and simply wrong to say that one can always reach ranged units on turn 1 of the battle. wrong.
A hero can have fast units and be a caster with AoE spells. That is not far fetched.

ClownRoyal
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ClownRoyal » 16 Jun 2006, 01:49

I wouldn't really say Paladins are ridiculously overpowered, but they are certainly overpowered to an extent. I just finished the Haven campaign, and haven't played single maps or multiplayer much yet, so I might be off in my thinking. But I found that Paladins were way more useful than ArchAngels, which was weird. I would think the Tier 7 unit would be the most powerful/useful unit in the army.

Paladins can cover basically the whole field in one turn of movement. When they do that, they get a nice damage boost. I found that they were a much better unit for hitting hard and fast than a stack of ArchAngels/Angels.

Not only that, but while it's (really) expensive to do so, you can upgrade all the lower tier units (besides Griffons) into Cavaliers, then upgrade them to Paladins. I usually did this with Squires, since Peasants got turned into Marksmen, and I kept Marksmen and Priests. Squires usually ended up doing nothing in my battles except running forward and not getting to even hit anything.

Then again, maybe Paladins aren't overpowered, but just really useful. I still have a lot of the game to play.

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 16 Jun 2006, 11:39

I think Paladins are too strong, I mean does it feel normal that you tremble from guys on frikin horses then from (human :D ) chicks with wings? The problem is not the Archangels being too weak it's the Paladins being to strong, some tweaking needs to be done regarding them.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”