What do you feel is the quality of maps in HV?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

How do you feel about the map quality?

Poll ended at 20 Jun 2006, 23:21

Excellent
5%
Good
33%
Fair
42%
Poor
7%
Poor
7%
Terrible
7%

Total votes: 43

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

What do you feel is the quality of maps in HV?

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 13 Jun 2006, 23:21

This is not a question about the number of maps but a poll and discussion about the quality of them.

There are six scenario maps with objectives.

There are ten mp maps (traditional) that can be played against the ai.

There are thirty campaign maps.

what do you think?

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 13 Jun 2006, 23:31

Aside from few exceptions, campaign maps are well done, not too great not too shabby either..

However HoMM IV had better MP maps imho; so a fair grade is in order...

Paradox
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Paradox » 14 Jun 2006, 00:15

i feel claustraphobic on most maps, because everything is just a path blocked by some creatures, where are the open spaces and little treasure coves with goodies inside..i just feel on most Multiplay maps everywhere is just too cramped :/
overall the quality is ok.

grumpy_dwarf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby grumpy_dwarf » 14 Jun 2006, 03:20

Paradox wrote:i feel claustraphobic on most maps, because everything is just a path blocked by some creatures, where are the open spaces and little treasure coves with goodies inside..i just feel on most Multiplay maps everywhere is just too cramped :/
I get the same feeling -- predetermined paths with obstacles whoopdeedoo.

I am presently stuck on c2m4. the map is just no fun for me because of the tall trees that force me to spin the camera constantly. I actually stopped for a bit and went back to HOMM IV and Allied General, at least until the bitter taste leaves my mouth... I may follow the instructions for the pure top down settings -- that is an adventure map view that might work for me....

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 14 Jun 2006, 03:40

I voted Good.

I have only played the campaign maps so far. I'm up to map 2 of the Silvan campaign. I am looking forward to trying the single scenarios but I'm going to finish up the campaigns first.

Map rating is highly subjective. I voted good because:
1) I am having lots of fun. :) That's the most important thing in a map for me.
2) Object placement seems to have been well thought out for the most part.
3) The maps are not completely wide open. A previous poster likes wide open maps. I prefer maps with choke points. Having choke points makes your territory more defendable.
4) The maps are varied.
5) There are some nice battles.
6) I am a HOMM fanboy. OK, a really old fanboy. :D

I would have prefered for the campigns to be playable in any order, but since they are all tied together with a story I can see why they must be unlocked.

GOW

ryanmax51
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ryanmax51 » 14 Jun 2006, 03:54

i find these maps so far in hV are terrible the layout of most of them is crap, im just a fussy person when it comes to maps mostly because i make my own maps which are fair both to players and computers mine gold item wise and i normaly have an underground along with above ground with a substantual amount of water in order to go on a sea voyage.

zhuge
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby zhuge » 14 Jun 2006, 04:26

Been playing the campaigns mostly (Haven and Inferno) and a few single player maps.

So far it has been a fun experience. I would dare say I'd rate H5 campaign maps higher than the original H3 RoE campaigns, which were really too easy.
The campaigns are heavily scripted and tell an engaging story and you do have to pay attention to scenario objectives... a lot more than I would say during H3.

I also liked object placement which was logical in terms of risk-reward and maps were nicely decorated in many parts. Challenge was quite even for a rusher type like myself and I've had a good taste of some pretty close fights, for example in Inferno campaign, map 3.

I do think the AI could be a tad more aggressive though. In previous series, if you left your castle unguarded/lightly guarded you could almost be sure an enemy hero would be heading for the castle almost immediately. That killer instinct appears somewhat lacking in H5.
Still that is basically more of a complaint about the strategic mpa AI and no fault of the map design itself.

Therefore I will give a Good rating for general map quality in H5.
:tsup:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 14 Jun 2006, 06:53

Voted Fair.

Mostly because of their size.I like my maps big,bigger then the world itself!

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 14 Jun 2006, 07:12

Vote Fair.

Mostly because "A Tear for Ossir" has it's damn victory condition of find grail, tries to lead you to it by signs, but are so damn unclear on the location that i couldn't find it. Give me some obelisks, dammit.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ryanmax51
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ryanmax51 » 14 Jun 2006, 09:03

the maps are too small for me what are they 217x217?

they should be 275x275 or even 298x298

Rapier
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Rapier » 14 Jun 2006, 09:47

I voted excellent, so far on every map I've played. I haven't been disappointed. I don't feel it's fair to judge the maps by how I want them though.

I would like some open field maps, to go with the chokepoint maps (they're great chokepoint maps though). I would like some larger, and indeed, smaller maps. I'd like a decent islands map. But what the maps are meant to be, they're every well done.

I very much like their campaigns and think they're a nice challange (although the later maps, usually are too easy after map 3), I also like the scenarios and I think they did a good job in creating these to be thematic, rather than just general wars as the MP, usually are.
~ Rapier.

HulkaS
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HulkaS » 14 Jun 2006, 10:05

Fair.All maps are pretty nice the only problem-they could be bigger by 20-30%.Well there could be map with more then 8 castles too. :D

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 14 Jun 2006, 10:09

Voted good.

I like both the mp, scenario and campaign maps, but they could have been better. Cant wait for the map editor and fan made maps! :)

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 14 Jun 2006, 11:12

Voted fair.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 15 Jun 2006, 17:38

Paradox wrote:i feel claustraphobic on most maps, because everything is just a path blocked by some creatures, where are the open spaces and little treasure coves with goodies inside..i just feel on most Multiplay maps everywhere is just too cramped :/
I too feel the same way and I don't like the darkness in the underground, lack of resources. Spread out larger areas would have been much nicer. Graphics are nice but I like solid game play over graphics and I hate the 3-D camera. Also I like to be able to pick my own campaign instead of having to do them in order.. I gave it a 'good'. ;)
How you Treat people & what You Do or Don't Do will someday come back to "Bite You" or "Bless You". The Choice is Yours & will Affect You Today & Everyday of Your Future. Granny

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 15 Jun 2006, 19:08

I find the maps bland but enjoyable. The layouts are unimaginative and you find yourself boxed in all too often. Most every game, I end up sitting around a good while in order to raise enough troops to even capture mines.

There is also a lack of the big challenge with the big payoff. Partly this is because the treasures are so rotten. The selection is poor and there do not seem to be even major quality treasures, much less relics.

I miss having battles with multiple creature types. I even miss those damned bandits. I really miss being able to send out scouts.

Of course there is almost no text -- in fact the maps seem to have nothing to do with the introductory descriptions.

All that being said, I'd say they are on a par with most of the maps that came with prior versions. If that's all there were, I doubt I'd still be playing.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 15 Jun 2006, 20:11

Vote fair. If the editor is any good, the best maps will once again be made by fans.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

djtc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby djtc » 15 Jun 2006, 20:21

I agree with the "claustrophobic" opinion... Everything is just too packed, paths are blocked, and visibility isn't at his best.
Beyond their look, I think they're nice and enjoyable => fair overall.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 15 Jun 2006, 20:51

Caradoc wrote:There is also a lack of the big challenge with the big payoff. Partly this is because the treasures are so rotten. The selection is poor and there do not seem to be even major quality treasures, much less relics.
Yes! What is it with these H5 artifacts? I fight a sizable stack of upgraded level 7s to get something that gives me +2 defense? ;|
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 15 Jun 2006, 21:08

THere are some that's wuite interesting, but I lack some that are spectactular but not too powerful. There are a bit too many that are just skill boosts or give some initiative. There are some interesting combo effects, but I'd like some more that gives me advantages I can't get any other way.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Return to “Heroes V-VI”