Protecting Shooters...

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Lakasha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Protecting Shooters...

Unread postby Lakasha » 13 Jun 2006, 16:12

I am just curious if there was a particular reason for the change in ability to protect shooters?

It seems to me it makes it somewhat pointless to have defensive walkers if all they can really do is stand there and look intimidating while they watch the arrows fly right past them to kill the shooters in the back row. Shouldn’t they at least have a chance to block enemy fire?

Also in reading the Squires description it would seem they are supposed to be able to do this somehow but I can’t figure out how, I believe it is supposed to be a random occurrence but I have never seen it happen.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 13 Jun 2006, 16:20

That's definitely one of the features I miss from Heroes IV, even if it was a bit erratic.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

thecheese
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby thecheese » 13 Jun 2006, 16:44

I'm also not sure how to get the Squires to do their guard thing. And realistically, the way H4 worked probably made the most sense. However, H5 seems to want to take everything back to its oldschool roots, and one of those features was giving shooters the ability to hit anything, anywhere.

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 13 Jun 2006, 16:51

The Squire's Shield Allies ability means that every creature placed on a square adjacent to the Squire will receive half the ranged damage.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Jun 2006, 16:52

The Squired give a 50% damage reduction against ranged attacks to all units that are in a square next to them. That's all.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Rapier
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Rapier » 13 Jun 2006, 17:07

Actually I think if you have it so arrows can be blocked by your troops, then have it so that they block your arrows too, so that you can get a screen from archers if you want, but you won't be able to shoot them either, otherwise it's not a good system imo.
~ Rapier.

scorch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby scorch » 13 Jun 2006, 17:09

ThunderTitan wrote:The Squired give a 50% damage reduction against ranged attacks to all units that are in a square next to them. That's all.
I never understand that....It's NEXT to him??
or BEHIND him???????

Lakasha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lakasha » 13 Jun 2006, 17:26

Actually based on how arrows work it should be perfectly possible to have an archer screen without it affecting your archers ability to shoot.

The trajectory of an arrow allows for those who are standing behind someone to fire an arrow above the heads of those protecting them with shields or what not (not to mention they can kneel down while archers fire). It was a very common tactic.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Jun 2006, 17:33

scorch wrote: I never understand that....It's NEXT to him??
or BEHIND him???????
On any of the 8 squares around him. Not sure how it works for 2x2 creatures.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 13 Jun 2006, 18:07

I assume it is the exact same mechanism with the Unicorn's Aura of Magic Protection (or whatever it is called).

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 13 Jun 2006, 18:26

Lakasha wrote:Actually based on how arrows work it should be perfectly possible to have an archer screen without it affecting your archers ability to shoot.

The trajectory of an arrow allows for those who are standing behind someone to fire an arrow above the heads of those protecting them with shields or what not (not to mention they can kneel down while archers fire). It was a very common tactic.
Heroes of Might and Magic don't need your stinkin' laws of physics.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Jun 2006, 18:29

@Gus:
Should be, but i haven't seen any mention of the area that the aura covers.

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 13 Jun 2006, 19:00

well, "surrounding" again... really, there's no reason why it wouldn't be the squares around.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Jun 2006, 19:03

Yeah, but only the first row, or more?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Protecting Shooters...

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 13 Jun 2006, 19:03

Lakasha wrote:I am just curious if there was a particular reason for the change in ability to protect shooters?
There is a very good reason that this is not included.Its the golden rule that everything from HIV is bad and shouldnt be included ever again.
Lakasha wrote: It seems to me it makes it somewhat pointless to have defensive walkers if all they can really do is stand there and look intimidating while they watch the arrows fly right past them to kill the shooters in the back row. Shouldn’t they at least have a chance to block enemy fire?
Ah,but they can block melee units from aproaching your archers.Or at least they can slow them bown just a tinny bit,since the threat area is also gone.
Lakasha wrote: Also in reading the Squires description it would seem they are supposed to be able to do this somehow but I can’t figure out how, I believe it is supposed to be a random occurrence but I have never seen it happen.
Each creatur that touches the squares has 50% range damage reduction.Kind of stupid that they can protect huge archangles that stand diagonaly in front of them.

thecheese
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby thecheese » 13 Jun 2006, 19:37

DaemianLucifer wrote:There is a very good reason that this is not included.Its the golden rule that everything from HIV is bad and shouldnt be included ever again.
Now, now, not EVERYTHING was bad. All different, yes, but not everything was bad. Paladins killing 20 Black Dragons on their own was pretty cool, if ya ask me. =P

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 13 Jun 2006, 19:43

thecheese wrote:Now, now, not EVERYTHING was bad. All different, yes, but not everything was bad. Paladins killing 20 Black Dragons on their own was pretty cool, if ya ask me. =P
Dont get me wrong,I love HIV,but its ubi/nival that came up with this golden rule.And now,we must obey.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 13 Jun 2006, 19:54

DaemianLucifer wrote: Each creatur that touches the squares has 50% range damage reduction.Kind of stupid that they can protect huge archangles that stand diagonaly in front of them.
And it's kind of stupid that 1256 skeleteons can take up a single square and one succubus can take up a single square. If we start nitpicking like this there will be no game left.

In H IV I liked that walkers could block shooters if positioned correctly ( it was positioning that was tough ). I was less crazy about everyone being able to retaliate, even shooters on other shooters.

Cunning Death
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Cunning Death » 13 Jun 2006, 20:18

DaemianLucifer wrote:
thecheese wrote:Now, now, not EVERYTHING was bad. All different, yes, but not everything was bad. Paladins killing 20 Black Dragons on their own was pretty cool, if ya ask me. =P
Dont get me wrong,I love HIV,but its ubi/nival that came up with this golden rule.And now,we must obey.
:offtopic: I'm also one of the few loving H4. Therefore I'm dissapointed that Ubi/Nival are ignoring H4... :tsdown:

Anyway, the possibility to block shooters was a great idea :tsup:

C.D.

ps where are my ol' co'l sharpshooters???
warning! there might be documented features in Heroes V
Water Polo European Championships Hajrá magyarok!

Ari
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ari » 13 Jun 2006, 20:23

Lakasha wrote: It seems to me it makes it somewhat pointless to have defensive walkers if all they can really do is stand there and look intimidating while they watch the arrows fly right past them to kill the shooters in the back row. Shouldn’t they at least have a chance to block enemy fire?

Ah,but they can block melee units from aproaching your archers.Or at least they can slow them bown just a tinny bit,since the threat area is also gone.
There's always been an element of "rocks-paper-scissors" to HOMM. Shooters beat slow, strong units. Fliers (and fast land units) beat shooters. Slow strong units beat fliers (and fast land units). Granted, this isn't an absolute rule, but in general, that's how HOMM plays out. So those minotaurs, say, aren't directly useful for aiding shooters ( in a shooters vs shooters matchup), but they're great for killing the griffons that can cross the field in a turn and get in the archers' faces. That has always been one of the main roles of golems/hydras/treants, etc. To have these units also be particularly strong (out of proportion to their stats, that is) against shooters would make shooters far weaker in overall significance in the game.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”