What are your Map Editor plans?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

What are your Map Editor plans?

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 10 Jun 2006, 19:55

Just curious for the map designers and map wishers out there. Once the map editor comes out, what kind of maps/plans/dreams will we be seeing or wanting to see?

I used to do a bit of Heroes Map design "back-in-the-day"... I might get back into it with Heroes V... who knows. I made a pretty good "War of the Ring" scenario for Heroes III many moons ago.

Do you guys have plans on making certain maps or types of maps... remakes of great maps of yore?

Me personally, I remember a particular custom map for Heroes II... I think it was called "Rivers" or something like that.

Essentially, it was a fairly large map that had a winding series of rivers crisscrossing the map. Large enough to require a boat and devide several large land-masses, but certainly not oceans-worth. Each area had a castle in it (6 or 8 factions, I can't remember) and it was a great free-for-all-map... would like to see something like that again... a nice neutral map that could be played EQUALLY from ANY faction and had great replayability.

Anyways, what are your thoughts?

Jimmpi
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Jimmpi » 10 Jun 2006, 20:02

Personally I suck on map-making ;|
But I hope someone will make som big and funny maps that me and my friends can play fore hours...AND with more than a few towns on the map

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 11 Jun 2006, 01:39

Well, I guess we don't have any prospective map makers floating around today!?!? ;|

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 11 Jun 2006, 01:51

I made a couple of maps for H4. I'll see what capabilities the script editor has and might do another RPG-style map (obviously not as involveds as My brother's keepr) and I was thinking of doing a port of the Dawn of War map mortalis. It's a simple but fun design, basically a 6-spoked wheel with important stuff in the middle.

Warlock
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warlock » 11 Jun 2006, 02:21

I hope to see some great classic mythology-based maps personally. Heroes 3 had a great one packaged with it where you could pick a duo of Greek Gods and you'd wander around and get little message bubbles occassionally with myths and stories and stuff. I loved that map.

I also recall one for Heroes 2 that someone made based on Hercules (the tv show I think). That one was a lot of fun too.

Paradox
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Paradox » 11 Jun 2006, 02:49

Warlock wrote:I hope to see some great classic mythology-based maps personally. Heroes 3 had a great one packaged with it where you could pick a duo of Greek Gods and you'd wander around and get little message bubbles occassionally with myths and stories and stuff. I loved that map.

I also recall one for Heroes 2 that someone made based on Hercules (the tv show I think). That one was a lot of fun too.
Pandoras Box wasn't it? I loved that map.

ExistUnExist
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ExistUnExist » 11 Jun 2006, 02:54

i'll make a brutal map
one where you can't do anything else but battle, make army like rabbits, battle and battle..

all for the name of riches and glory

:|

will be my first time though, hope the ai is smart enough to do shit on it's own

Nebs
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nebs » 11 Jun 2006, 11:21

When it comes I plan to get drunk.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Jun 2006, 11:29

Nebs wrote:When it comes I plan to get drunk.
Great ideea. How about we start a game: for every bug from the buglist fixed in a patch we take a shot of vodka.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Nebs
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nebs » 11 Jun 2006, 11:44

Noone can drink that much! :D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Jun 2006, 12:18

Nebs wrote:Noone can drink that much! :D
As of now only 6 bugs have been fixes from the list. About enough to get a good buzz going (notice I said shots, thus really small glasses).
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Linky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Linky » 11 Jun 2006, 14:11

I could either help make a campaign with a team or then try to make some sort of an original beautiful map with stories enhanced by heavy scripting.

OliverFA
Scout
Scout

Unread postby OliverFA » 11 Jun 2006, 18:10

I hope UBI creates a map contest with the best maps included in the first expansion as a prize. That would motivate many potential good mapmakers which otherwise would not feel enough motivation.

One thing that would be really nice would be a kind of automated tool that automatically translated H1-H2-H3 maps into H5 maps. Don't know if it's too difficult to perform, but would be nice :-)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Jun 2006, 18:26

OliverFA wrote: One thing that would be really nice would be a kind of automated tool that automatically translated H1-H2-H3 maps into H5 maps. Don't know if it's too difficult to perform, but would be nice :-)
I belive impossible would be the operating word.

Prime Evil
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Prime Evil » 11 Jun 2006, 18:39

I hope to make a map the size of an elephant, with endless nr of towns and heroes, and loads of goodies to be found. Ofcourse i want to give myself a big advantage towards the other players :baby: And i hope it lasts for endless turns
Wehn you raed you od not ralely raed the wolhe wrod. You olny raed hte fsrit and lsat lteter. The rset fo the wrod can eb cpomteely msesed up. Taht is bcauese yuor mnid mozemires wdors oevr tmie.

OliverFA
Scout
Scout

Unread postby OliverFA » 11 Jun 2006, 18:42

ThunderTitan wrote: I belive impossible would be the operating word.
I think you mean heroic heroic :D

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 11 Jun 2006, 19:08

I would like to create a dark forest map again, RPG style. The only thing I beg will be in the expansion and the map editor is spooky trees (like those in H4) and werewolves :-D

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 11 Jun 2006, 19:46

I'll certainly give it a shot. I'm still a little embarrassed that I only got one done for Heroes IV (though it took a year and a half to do). This time I intend to start with something less ambitious.

I think it is too early for a contest. That was a problem with Heroes IV and those maps really sucked. They should give mapmakers a year to get up to speed and make some excellent maps. Then pick the best and put out a supplement like NWC did with Heroes II Gold.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Salisa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Salisa » 12 Jun 2006, 05:49

Your all asking the wrong question!...

What you all should be doing is sieging Ubisoft so there will actually BE a map editor... if there was going to be one it would of been included... Ubisoft is to busy missing the points of replayabitly , I'm already ready to get out my older versions atleast they have a RANDOM map maker that keeps them fresh 100's of years after there first release!!! :devil:

So i'm playing a Normal game in the campaign and I get to the garrison and to my surprise there's 1k this and 1 k that 480 elite devils I got 9 arch angel 15 ponies and a pack of bubble gum.... I look at the numbers of my foes and get out my calculator and lo there's more here in the garrsion then I've made armies in the whole campaign how can this be normal????

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 12 Jun 2006, 05:58

Caradoc wrote:That was a problem with Heroes IV and those maps really sucked. They should give mapmakers a year to get up to speed and make some excellent maps. Then pick the best and put out a supplement like NWC did with Heroes II Gold.
Absolutely. I remember I rejected a map for submission to CH because it was untested and looked horribly amateurish. Imaigne my surprise when I saw it on the WoW CD!!

Return to “Heroes V-VI”