Dynamic battles?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Ari
Peasant
Peasant

Dynamic battles?

Unread postby Ari » 08 Jun 2006, 03:52

I have dynamic battles turned off ("standard", in other words), but in the third necro map, I'm getting a particular confrontation that's dynamic. This isn't the first time this has happened to me, but I can't recall what the others were. Has this happened to anyone else? Is is *supposed* to happen (like for dramatic effect, say)?

While we're on the subject, does anyone play with the dynamic battles? I don't hate the idea, but I think I prefer turn based (though ironically, this sense of time constraint is *precisely* what I liked about the early Final Fantasy games)

Raspyn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Raspyn » 08 Jun 2006, 04:14

yeah, that happened to me a few times for key fights in the campaign.

It must be included to add a certain level of difficulty to those particular fights.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 08 Jun 2006, 05:24

Yeah, i got that too .... it was a little off-putting to see the count-down timer on my units .... but I still won :D

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 08 Jun 2006, 05:48

Its a bug that in some battles you get that timer.It happened to me once I fought the druids in c2m3.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 08 Jun 2006, 09:56

I'm not sure it's a bug - I believe Raspyn has the right idea about this.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 08 Jun 2006, 10:03

It's good since it adds challenge. You have to think fast and if you're a slowhead then you lose.

I will always play with dynamic battles in MP. However, until they fixed the lag they should double the time you get since non-casters only get 3 seconds after the lag. My opponent didn't had time do to anything with his units.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Jun 2006, 10:38

It's completly annoying if you don't notice from the beggining. Now. f they had some sort of huge announcement in the middle of the screen it be OK.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Dublex
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Dublex » 08 Jun 2006, 10:43

Campaigner wrote:It's good since it adds challenge. You have to think fast and if you're a slowhead then you lose.

I will always play with dynamic battles in MP. However, until they fixed the lag they should double the time you get since non-casters only get 3 seconds after the lag. My opponent didn't had time do to anything with his units.
Not entirely an honourable method of fighting, but I suppose fair enough if you announced that you were using dynamic battles at the beginning of the game.

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 08 Jun 2006, 11:21

I wonder why are you playing Heroes if you want a challenge of a fast battle. Wouldn't you be better off with e.g. Starcraft or Quake?

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 08 Jun 2006, 11:41

you should not be forced ever to fight a battle in real time in a TBS...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 08 Jun 2006, 12:17

Gaidal Cain wrote:I'm not sure it's a bug - I believe Raspyn has the right idea about this.
Then why isnt it always present?It happened to me just once.And I think it didnt happen to everyone.Therefore,its a bug.

Continuity
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Continuity » 08 Jun 2006, 12:17

It's not real-time. It's just time-limited turn-based. I like the added pressure so you have to think fast, but I prefer playing single-player with it off. If I ever went online to play multiplayer I'd definitely keep it on.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Jun 2006, 12:36

DaemianLucifer wrote: Then why isnt it always present?It happened to me just once.And I think it didnt happen to everyone.Therefore,its a bug.
Did you try the same battle again? It's scripted in some battles, that's all.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 08 Jun 2006, 12:40

ThunderTitan wrote: Did you try the same battle again? It's scripted in some battles, that's all.
Yes,the same battle after a load,and,suprise,suprise,no timer.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 08 Jun 2006, 12:51

Duel mode should be disabled in SP, at least in the campaigns and definitely on Easy/Medium difficulty setting. I think it's a good feature for MP, so you don't run the risk of having to wait for ages for your opponent to move, but I think one should be able to customize the amount of time one has for each move. 10 seconds might be considered too little, and for beginners it would be nice to have a feature enabling you to set it to 20 or 30.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

DuRieL
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby DuRieL » 08 Jun 2006, 12:59

DaemianLucifer wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote: Did you try the same battle again? It's scripted in some battles, that's all.
Yes,the same battle after a load,and,suprise,suprise,no timer.
Which is strange, since the battles really are scripted.

This bit of code should help some:
if IsHuman(ATTACKER) == not nil then
print("Dinamic battle has been enabled. Human is Attacker.");
EnableDynamicBattleMode(1);
else
if IsHuman(DEFENDER) == not nil then
print("Dinamic battle has been enabled. Human is Defender.");
EnableDynamicBattleMode(1);
else
print("Nadaur fight vs not player hero or monster");
end;
end;
The following code makes a certain battle dynamic in C3M3.
By the way, all the spelling errors are courtesy of Ubi.

Rapier
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Rapier » 08 Jun 2006, 13:47

There is a bug where Dynamic battle gets turned on, I've had it several times. In campains and scenarios.

I think it's a keybind bug with the spacebar, becuase I'll use it to defend and then for no reason one time the timer will start for a turn, and it'll stay on until I use spacebar to defend again.

However from that point on whenever I press spacebar it will give the defend order and switch me from dynamic battle mode to standard (or vice-versa), this doesn't happen if you click on the defend button.

It's not a feature, it doesn't happen in every fight, if it happens once it won't be present in the next fight (as far as I know, I've never had the bug and then left it timed at the end of the fight to see what effects that has).

I've played C3M3 and I didn't get a dynamic fight once in it. Maybe Dynamic in that case is being used for another meaning? There must be special code for the final fight of C3M5 too.
~ Rapier.

Skullmane
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Skullmane » 08 Jun 2006, 14:30

I really dont think it's a bug, it's inteded to be like that. In C2C3 u get the Dynamic battle, because of the story, Agrael's like "kill them" the druids are also attacking, so the battle should be swift, and since the druids shouldn't be a big match, you dont need much time to think. It adds some diversity to the campaigns.
Maybe it was bug that you didn't get the dynamic battle again DL, instead of getting it :D

DuRieL
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby DuRieL » 08 Jun 2006, 15:37

Rapier wrote:I've played C3M3 and I didn't get a dynamic fight once in it. Maybe Dynamic in that case is being used for another meaning?
What? No... it's the same thing. :|

Seriously, are you telling me the battle with the elven hero - the one on the boat - wasn't dynamic, as in turns-go-pretty-fast-in-battle dynamic?

It was for me, and it most probably was for you. The whole thing is scripted - i.e. intended to be so - and I think you just missed it.

As for that bug with space bar and so forth... never had it. I press "D" for Defend, and so should you, apparently. 8|

Ari
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ari » 08 Jun 2006, 17:21

Yeah, that was the battle I was talking about as well (wanted to be vague for fear of spoilers :) ). I haven't replayed since then, though, so I can't confirm that it's reproducable. Still, if people know which battle I'm talking about without my having said, I assume it *is* reproducable (and deliberate). Now that I think about it, I kinda like that it's doing this for dramatic effect (though like somebody mentioned above, I wish they'd *warn* you about it rather than me discovering it only after I skipped a stack or two).

Though if they're really going for dramatic effect, I wish you could have cut scenes within the battle engine. That would be sweet.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”