What are the bonus maps?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 10 Jun 2006, 16:07

ThunderTitan wrote: Software isn't a car. Different rules apply.
When selling it,same rules apply.
ThunderTitan wrote:
And you can't get different fan-made spoilers for free.
Sure you can,if youre a krimal :devious:
ThunderTitan wrote: And 2 people can't get the same spoiler at the same time, without any extra cost for making the spoiler.
That stands,but then again,why do we have to pay for copies of games,songs,movies,etc?Why dont they charge us just for the material used to make the CD/DVD?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Jun 2006, 16:17

DaemianLucifer wrote: When selling it,same rules apply.
Selling it, not making it available, for free, on the internet. If you bought the game you can do upload/download parts of it without being a krimal. Only the people who haven't bought it are doing something illegal.

DaemianLucife wrote: That stands,but then again,why do we have to pay for copies of games,songs,movies,etc?Why dont they charge us just for the material used to make the CD/DVD?
Because you buy the rights to those thngs. Once you do you can make as many copies of it as you want, as long as it's for personal use.

At least that's the fairest way i heard of. On both counts.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 10 Jun 2006, 16:52

ThunderTitan wrote: Because you buy the rights to those thngs. Once you do you can make as many copies of it as you want, as long as it's for personal use.
Same goes for any part of that software,as much as for the whole software.

Rapier
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Rapier » 10 Jun 2006, 17:16

ThunderTitan wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote: When selling it,same rules apply.
Selling it, not making it available, for free, on the internet. If you bought the game you can do upload/download parts of it without being a krimal. Only the people who haven't bought it are doing something illegal.
Actually what you just said is illegal, because doing this would reduce the incentive of people to buy the limited and collector's editions, and so reduce the money Ubi/Nival makes. So yes this is a crime.
~ Rapier.

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 10 Jun 2006, 18:23

ThunderTitan wrote:I still don't think giving people the maps is illegal, unless you live in one of those nice ditatorial states....
Hmmmm Legal or Illegal to distribute any of the maps on the cd disk? hmmmm, in the readme file in the 2nd paragragh, it states, Quote, "You may copy this software for back-up And 'Casual Distribution." Unquote.

This is off your readme file in your game: read the first line in the 2nd paragragh... could they be referring to the maps when they say, "Casual Distribution"? hmmmmm Wonder what for sure it does mean? hmmmmm :| Maybe you ought to email UBI and ask them? :D UBI states:Contact Us by E-mail
For fastest response via e-mail, please visit our website at:
http://support.ubi.com/

But personally I think uploading any of the game maps or contents that came with the game without the permission of UBI/Nival, would be illegal... :)

Quote: UBI's Copyright Information
---------------------
This software product and the manual are copyrighted and all rights are reserved by Ubisoft and Nival Interactive and are protected by the copyright laws that pertain to computer software.

You may copy this software for back-up and casual distribution.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may not modify, adapt, translate, create derivative works, decompile, disassemble, or otherwise reverse engineer or derive source code from all or any portion of the software or anything incorporated therein, permit, or encourage any third party to do so.

Heroes of Might and Magic is a registered trademark of Ubisoft. Pentium, Microsoft Windows, Athlon, GeForce, Radeon, SoundBlaster, DirectX are trademarks of their respective owners UnQuote:
How you Treat people & what You Do or Don't Do will someday come back to "Bite You" or "Bless You". The Choice is Yours & will Affect You Today & Everyday of Your Future. Granny

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 10 Jun 2006, 18:36

DaemianLucifer wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote: As part of the game. If someone owns the game, how would getting those maps be illegal? Wouldn't that make creature mods also illegal, as ur using game code in them?
Those maps belong to the limited edition,thus those that didnt fatten ubis pockets a bit more cant have them,even though they bought the game.Its like adding spoilers to the car:You can either buy the car that already has spoilers instaled,or one without,but if you want to add spoilers to the second one,you have to cash out extra money.Same here,if you want those maps,buy them from ubi.
I agree with you 100% DL :D
How you Treat people & what You Do or Don't Do will someday come back to "Bite You" or "Bless You". The Choice is Yours & will Affect You Today & Everyday of Your Future. Granny

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Jun 2006, 19:20

Rapier wrote: Actually what you just said is illegal, because doing this would reduce the incentive of people to buy the limited and collector's editions, and so reduce the money Ubi/Nival makes. So yes this is a crime.
By that definition so would giving the game/limited edition etc. a bad review.
You may copy this software for back-up and casual distribution.
Thus not illegal unless you make money of it.

Unless everyone that ever made a map or a mods is a criminal.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 10 Jun 2006, 19:27

ThunderTitan wrote: Thus not illegal unless you make money of it.
Not quite,since in that case youd be allowed to copy the game and give it to anyone and thered be no need for more then one person to buy the game.And,of course,there would be no copy protections if this was the case.Software laws are pretty fuzzy.
ThunderTitan wrote: Unless everyone that ever made a map or a mods is a criminal.
Yes,all of them are krimals and should be arrested.Like I said,software laws are pretty fuzy.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Jun 2006, 19:37

DaemianLucifer wrote: Not quite,since in that case youd be allowed to copy the game and give it to anyone and thered be no need for more then one person to buy the game.And,of course,there would be no copy protections if this was the case.Software laws are pretty fuzzy.
That's the whole point. There are no laws stoping you from doing that. That's why I can xerox a book without being arested. That's why copyprotection was invented and is still used, to stop normal people to copy their games and give to a friend.
You're not doing anything illegal if you make no money off it. Ur friend is, or atleast he's breaking copy right. Unless he also bought the right to it, then he isn't.

Lord_Haart
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Lord_Haart » 10 Jun 2006, 19:39

It's DEFINITELY Illegal atm, HOWEVER, once the map editor is out, all bets are off.

You can probably edit a map, add in a small detail or two (like editing bad grammar :P) and be fine to pass it on to others (though you can't claim it is entirely your own work of course, (or sell it for profit, as with any map you create)).

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 10 Jun 2006, 20:33

On the copyright laws of the game content/maps, etc. controversy subject, the best thing to do is email UBI/Nival and let them define the 'exact' definition of their statement of, "You may copy this software for back-up and casual distribution". Copyright laws are fuzzy and can go into great sticky details.

I personally feel uploading any of UBI/Nival's maps, especially without their permission, to the internet is ILLEGAL period!!! Why, because one would have to hack into the data pak files to get them and that falls into UbI's other copyright clause they listeded... So it is ILLEGAL!

Bottom line is NO one is going to upload the extra 3 maps that came with the U.S. LE version that The Dude mentioned in his post. They were a bonus to the ones who spent extra money for the LE version. If you want them Dude, go buy the LE version. Maybe some bogus site that has nothing but illegal pirated games might help you out but you won't find any illegal stuff on CH.. So with that being said, can this subject get dropped and move onto something else.. :D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Jun 2006, 22:13

addicted wrote: I personally feel uploading any of UBI/Nival's maps, especially without their permission, to the internet is ILLEGAL period!!! Why, because one would have to hack into the data pak files to get them and that falls into UbI's other copyright clause they listeded... So it is ILLEGAL!
Wait, there in the data.pak?! Damn, in the other games they had their own folder. This also brings to mind another interesting question: Where will the player made maps go?

addicted wrote: Maybe some bogus site that has nothing but illegal pirated games might help you out but you won't find any illegal stuff on CH. So with that being said, can this subject get dropped and move onto something else.. :D
Really... what about all those Mods that modify the game? The EULA says they're illegal. Along with any modification you make to the game you bought the right too. Something i'm sure most laws don't agree with.

And please don't confuse the EULA with the law. No document that you sign after you already paid for and opened the game should ever be legaly binding. And in most cases isn't.

And asking Ubi is pointless, as copyright law is different depending on the country your in.

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 10 Jun 2006, 22:49

The maps are copyrighted by ubisoft and therefor it would be illegal to upload/download them.
Since you didn't buy DLs analogy, let me try another one.
It's like buying Win XP Home and then really wanting a feature from Win XP Professional, and thus downloading Win XP Pro. It's still piracy, because you didn't pay for the extra content.

I've read elsewhere, that those damn shrink-wrap EULAs/licenses are considered binding in the US. I don't know if other parts of the world are more sane.

About the user mods. As long as things doesn't interfere with Ubis income, I guess they really don't care what the users do.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Jun 2006, 22:54

What's the difference between Home and Pro anyway?

And ur not d/l the whole thing, just 3 maps. And if they're in the data.pak i'm sure that everyone has them, there just not available ingame. Anyone care to check?

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 10 Jun 2006, 23:37

The difference is pretty small IMO. You can see it here.

About the "but its only 3 maps".
So, if I feel like downloading the latest song from lets say, Red Hot Chili Peppers. If I only download one song instead of the whole album then everything is just fine?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Jun 2006, 00:15

Paulus1 wrote:The difference is pretty small IMO. You can see it here.

About the "but its only 3 maps".
So, if I feel like downloading the latest song from lets say, Red Hot Chili Peppers. If I only download one song instead of the whole album then everything is just fine?
Well if you own the album, but they decided to make the last 3 tracks unhearable it might be. If you own it then you can d/l any of the songs on it without being illegal.

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 11 Jun 2006, 01:07

Okay, lets expand on that thought.

If RHCP release 2 CD's at the same time, one with 12 tracks and a special offer CD with the same 12 tracks + 3 extra songs, could me remix or live versions.

You decide, that you don't want to pay the extra money for the expanded version, so you stick to the cheaper standard version. I don't think the record label would view it as legal, if you downloaded the 3 extra songs.

Its basicly the same thing with these maps. If you wanted them that bad, you should have bought the more expensive package.

Paradox
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Paradox » 11 Jun 2006, 01:27

ThunderTitan wrote:Wait, there in the data.pak?! Damn, in the other games they had their own folder. This also brings to mind another interesting question: Where will the player made maps go?
don't you know you can place folders in the data folder, and they act as if being in the pak file? the game reads from the data folder, and from the data pak file. so if maps in the game are located at data.pak/maps, just make a maps folder in your data folder

also i can confirm the 3 extra maps are /not/ in the game and just disabled.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 11 Jun 2006, 07:47

Paradox wrote:also i can confirm the 3 extra maps are /not/ in the game and just disabled.
So we dont need to download them,we just need a mod that enables them?Great,who wants to try it out?

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 11 Jun 2006, 08:26

He said that they aren't. You misinterpreted the "and".
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Return to “Heroes V-VI”