I was right!

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Laserluger
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

I was right!

Unread postby Laserluger » 06 Jun 2006, 09:52

Hellu ppl!

I am sad that I was right.

Number 5 in this series simply stink. I did not buy it because that
most recent pc-games, even those that is part of a great series
(like TES and master of orion) has been hopeless console-junk.
So I try before I buy.... It works wonders and keeps my money
away from shitty-developers and their money-grabbing bastard
publishers.

As far as I know, Heroes V is a pc-only game. But that did not help.

It stinks! Nothing can save this pile of junk.

Heroes of might and magic--- R.I.P

Hipshot
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Hipshot » 06 Jun 2006, 10:26

It's actually a good game. But as many other games these days, the lack of a strong economic belief in the product by the publisher makes the game less good than it needed to be.

Safaex
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Safaex » 06 Jun 2006, 10:27

Im happy for your and my sake, that you don't need to "waste" money and that I don't ever have to see your butt in a multiplayer game. Seriously, what's the point of this post?

Purple Sky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Purple Sky » 06 Jun 2006, 10:28

Um, its almost the same as HoMM 3. I dont really consider it mainstream junk.

Be glad that Nival did this game. Others would surely add first person actionism or whatever. So many good game names are changed in to mindless console crap.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 06 Jun 2006, 10:29

Hmmmm. Perhaps you could share with us why you say it stinks?

I have started the necromancer campaign (only done first map) and have had fun so far. Fun is my measure of whether or not a game is good.

Graphics are really good though I am suprised they did not add lip synch to the cutscenes.

I have had zero crashes which is really amazing considering the state most games are released in. I realize there have been a number of bugs reported but I have not experienced any. Well, I did experience what I think is a bug. On one of my battles (inferno endgame maybe?) the battle was briefly in real time mode rather than turn based.

I really can't comment on balance at this point since I have not played all the factions yet.

They have promised to add the editor and more maps in a free download in the near future.

I have played all of the HOMM games to date and all in all I am pleased with the game thus far. :) To each his own however.

GOW

Laserluger
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Laserluger » 06 Jun 2006, 10:33

Hipshot wrote:It's actually a good game. But as many other games these days, the lack of a strong economic belief in the product by the publisher makes the game less good than it needed to be.
But that does not make sense! There are more money in the
gaming-industry now than ever before.

I think that the move from 2d to 3d for turnbased games was a big mistake, and that is what also killed a lot of the uniqeness that was.

Everything looks the same shit now. H5 stinks of Etherlords..

Some firms breaks the trend tho... just look at bighugegames
and that rise of legends game. Fun and nice looking.

Laserluger
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Laserluger » 06 Jun 2006, 10:38

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:Hmmmm. Perhaps you could share with us why you say it stinks?

GOW
Hmm yea why not :-)

1. The horrible cheating AI

2. The shitty anime-kiddie look of every unit. It makes me wanna puke!

3. The whole "Eterlords-feeling"

4. The unoptimized slow and sluggy "feel" of the game.

5. The bad bad bad city-interface.

There are prob. more.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 06 Jun 2006, 10:49

Laserluger wrote: Hmm yea why not :-)

2. The **** anime-kiddie look of every unit. It makes me wanna puke!

There are prob. more.
1. You do realize that most mapmakers in previous versions of HOMM gave the AI rather substantial bonuses right? The AI in most games in fact gets bonuses over human players so the computer can be competitive. The AI has been substantially improved IMHO so it does everything better than in previous incarnations.

2-3 Graphics is a mater of taste. While I am not a big anime fan I don't have a problem with the way the characters are portrayed.

4. Game runs smooth on my machine, but it exceeds the recommended specs.

5. I don't really see the city interface as being terrible.

GOW

Purple Sky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Purple Sky » 06 Jun 2006, 10:54

Nothing wrong with the city interfeice. There are buttons for every action. I got used to it quite quickly.

Although i do agree about the graphics. But hey, Nival/Ubisoft have to make a living, too. They cant make an overly un-mainstream game.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 06 Jun 2006, 11:05

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:2-3 Graphics is a mater of taste. While I am not a big anime fan I don't have a problem with the way the characters are portrayed.
Especially since H5 graphics has absolutely nothing to do with anime. It's more like european comics such as Lanfeust de Troy (not to mention the Black Moon Chronicles)

Hipshot
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Hipshot » 06 Jun 2006, 11:07

Laserluger wrote:
Hipshot wrote:It's actually a good game. But as many other games these days, the lack of a strong economic belief in the product by the publisher makes the game less good than it needed to be.
But that does not make sense! There are more money in the
gaming-industry now than ever before.
That is exactly why this makes more sense. It's _much_ more expensive to make a game these days, the competition is much harder, the development time is much tighter, the game bizz is not what is was when Heroes 2 was made. Belive me, I work with this.

The economic preasure these days, makes it hard for developers to venture into unknown projects and/or older licences that might not be financily good to continue. Like with heroes.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 06 Jun 2006, 11:41

Marzhin wrote:
Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:2-3 Graphics is a mater of taste. While I am not a big anime fan I don't have a problem with the way the characters are portrayed.
Especially since H5 graphics has absolutely nothing to do with anime. It's more like european comics such as Lanfeust de Troy (not to mention the Black Moon Chronicles)
Im so agree with you, I just dont get it why some people says its anime??? Its a freaking lame statement, they who says its anime realy dont know what anime is!! I fear it has become a trend, a snowball effect of someone that doesnt know what anime is but still says it is and others join that person spreading fake statements just to ruin the graphical impression of the game :disagree:

Lord_Haart
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Lord_Haart » 06 Jun 2006, 11:56

^^ yeah, I agree, anime is far different from what H5 is.

And the RoL demo was terrible, imo - just more of the same, usual RTS junk. You'd think they'd try something new, like ES did with AoE3 (home cities), but it still feels like a tryhard starcraft (tryhard because it doesn't feel as epic as starcraft did).

I'd agree with people who say H5 could have used more time, and tried a few more innovations, but I still find it incredibly fun.

It sounds to me like you just prefer RTS to TBS, which is fine, but that's a preferance, and does not mean that the game "sucks".

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 06 Jun 2006, 11:59

Laserluger wrote:
Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:Hmmmm. Perhaps you could share with us why you say it stinks?

GOW
Hmm yea why not :-)

2. The **** anime-kiddie look of every unit. It makes me wanna puke!

There are prob. more.
Well...I won't go into your semi-Troll post. If you don't have the "retail" game, then you'll never know what HoMMV is all about! We'll have patches & add-ons etc. to give the series more spice down the road.

I never thought about "graphics" in a game, I always wanted a game to be fun. HoMMV has that covered. On a side note...HoMMV is a masterpiece visiual wise.

You spoke your peace, please move on! This board is for HoMMV fans & that appears not to be you!

Bye!

Alex

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 06 Jun 2006, 12:06

Lord_Haart wrote:^^ yeah, I agree, anime is far different from what H5 is.

And the RoL demo was terrible, imo - just more of the same, usual RTS junk. You'd think they'd try something new, like ES did with AoE3 (home cities), but it still feels like a tryhard starcraft (tryhard because it doesn't feel as epic as starcraft did).

I'd agree with people who say H5 could have used more time, and tried a few more innovations, but I still find it incredibly fun.

It sounds to me like you just prefer RTS to TBS, which is fine, but that's a preferance, and does not mean that the game "sucks".
Lord: BTW...I love HoMMV, but Rise of Legends is a wonderful game in it's own right! The 2nd ROL demo kind of sucked, the retail game is wonderful. It's been patched two times since it's release & it's really one hell of a game!

The build quailty is so excellent! It's simply a quality game. I liked Rise of Nations, but the combat system was always "too much for me" ROL is a slower paced game & it just feels right. It's been on sale @ www.gogamer.com for $29.99 once. It's worth your hard-earned coin.

Maybe you can give it another look.

Alex

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 06 Jun 2006, 12:15

Orfinn wrote: Im so agree with you, I just dont get it why some people says its anime??? Its a freaking lame statement, they who says its anime realy dont know what anime is!! I fear it has become a trend, a snowball effect of someone that doesnt know what anime is but still says it is and others join that person spreading fake statements just to ruin the graphical impression of the game :disagree:
This is true, but a lot of people have not seen European comics, and anime is evolving into the term associated with anything that has saucer eyes, a pointed nose, a general lack of fine detail (as compared to high end animation) and everyone looking like cousins. While I have seen both, the early drawing for H-V all had that lack of detail feel to them. I still have not loaded H-V, (just ordered a new computer and will wait until I get it), so how the final versions of these drawing turned out I have to judge by what I seen on the forums and comments. It appears the creatures are not in the 'anime' type quality but much better. The heroes’ portraits on the other hand have a feel of everyone being country cousins, granted they do not have the saucer eyes but they do have a cartoonish look to them. They have evolved into better drawing than the initial ones and I have no real problem with them. As a purist you can grind you teeth but the description that fits here for a growing number of people is anime. For me initial drawing yes, final drawings no.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Entreri
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Entreri » 06 Jun 2006, 12:23

OMFG how can u say that HoMMV stinks!!!Its great the old sistem of battle has been re-introduced and a bit upgraded.The town interface is awsome also cuz u can rotate the camera and also the towns look fantastic.Like Sir Alok said this is a HoMMV fan site and u seem to be just a angry kid AND FFS ITS NOT ANIME LOOK!!!!! :beheading:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 06 Jun 2006, 16:18

The game is not terible,its just average.But considering that previos sequels were marvelous,this is a bad thing.

The graphic is not anime,its a mix of styles:WCIII(mostly inferno),anime(european anime,heaven mostly),and pure crap(gargoyle and djinn).

The problem with graphics is not that 3D is bad,but the camera they chose is bad.The objects arent transparent,or are semi transperent(you can see,but cannot click),there are no camera markers,and no pins to add.

Gothrak
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gothrak » 06 Jun 2006, 16:33

I really like the graphical style of Heroes V. It's a step back to the Heroes II days; the scenes are colourful and vibrant, to the point where you can almost flip them over and see "Weather Is Lovely, Wish You Were" written on the back.

I like the stylised creatures. I can even handle the fact they put the Arch-Lich in a wedding dress. It's a marked improvement from the blurry things that waddled across my screen in Heroes IV, and to be honest, an improvement over some of the rather drab sprites in Heroes III as well.

The camera angle, well, that can be a bit of a nuisance. I'm not going to pass judgment on the game mechanics yet, except to say hooray for an AI that is capable of building on the first day; and to wonder where the concept of having a hero for might and a hero for magic went.

Joskevermeulen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Thanks Laserluger for your honest comments

Unread postby Joskevermeulen » 06 Jun 2006, 16:51

I love heroes I , II and III.
I bought IV and was very unpleasantly suprised of the poor quality and non existant A.I.
I swore to myself I would never buy something again before watching feedback or playing a demo.

Thank you for sharing your honest opinion Laserluger. I find it very important that everyones opinion is heart without him being flamed.

Heroes V had a demo but it didn't prove anything on the most important features of the previous succesful Heroes series Replayability and A.I.

The only chanse this game has, to still be bought by me is when it has a leveleditor a descent A.I. and many free levels built by a heroescommunity and not in a Costly expansion!!! and not all scripted scenarios!

Return to “Heroes V-VI”