My music or my Heroes?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Babri
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 31
Joined: 16 May 2006
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

My music or my Heroes?

Postby Babri » Jun 5 2006, 6:01

I'm used to listening to MP3s, no matter what game I play - I just can't do without my music. However, while playing HOMM5 I am unable to do so. A song will start to play on Winamp, but then break up terribly while I'm playing.
I'm very sure that this is not my system's doing. I'm running an AMD 3200+ with 1GB of memory and GeForce 6200 256MB Video card.

Any advice or explanation? No other games have this issue.
Should I maybe switch to another MP3-player?
The average person thinks he isn’t.

serguma
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 15
Joined: 03 Jun 2006

Postby serguma » Jun 5 2006, 11:12

i listen to my music while I play heroes and I have no problem ;)

User avatar
Babri
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 31
Joined: 16 May 2006
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Postby Babri » Jun 5 2006, 11:15

serguma wrote:i listen to my music while I play heroes and I have no problem ;)

Okay, that's great, but tell me the following:
1) System specs
2) You running HOMM5?
3) Are you listening to MP3s or another format?
4) Which player are you using?
The average person thinks he isn’t.

User avatar
innokenti
Conscript
Conscript
Posts: 202
Joined: 11 Jan 2006

Postby innokenti » Jun 5 2006, 11:21

Open up your Winamp

Preferences > Options > General Preferences

Slider on the right 'Priority'. Set that to something higher and see if plays okay, if not, increase it one more notch etc. (Should be okay with 'high' or 'normal')

EDIT: If you have to go to 'realtime'... don't. Because that would almost certainly make Heroes run slower and other apps/games too.
Last edited by Anonymous on Jun 5 2006, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

serguma
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 15
Joined: 03 Jun 2006

Postby serguma » Jun 5 2006, 11:24

Babri wrote:
serguma wrote:i listen to my music while I play heroes and I have no problem ;)

Okay, that's great, but tell me the following:
1) System specs
2) You running HOMM5?
3) Are you listening to MP3s or another format?
4) Which player are you using?


Well, let's go :lol:

1) Pentium D 3Ghz, Geforce 6600GT, 1GB of Kingston DDR2 (don't remember de frequency, perhaps 533 or something like this?), 200 GB SATA2 Maxtor HDD, and other things don't matter I suppose.
2) Yes, I'm running HOMM5 :P
3) I'm listening to MP3.
4) I'm not using winamp, using windows media player, srry xD.

User avatar
Babri
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 31
Joined: 16 May 2006
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Postby Babri » Jun 5 2006, 11:35

serguma wrote:
Babri wrote:
serguma wrote:i listen to my music while I play heroes and I have no problem ;)

Okay, that's great, but tell me the following:
1) System specs
2) You running HOMM5?
3) Are you listening to MP3s or another format?
4) Which player are you using?


Well, let's go :lol:

1) Pentium D 3Ghz, Geforce 6600GT, 1GB of Kingston DDR2 (don't remember de frequency, perhaps 533 or something like this?), 200 GB SATA2 Maxtor HDD, and other things don't matter I suppose.
2) Yes, I'm running HOMM5 :P
3) I'm listening to MP3.
4) I'm not using winamp, using windows media player, srry xD.


Thanks for the info, I'll try my luck with Media Player tonight...
The average person thinks he isn’t.

User avatar
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 23266
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Now/here
Contact:

Postby ThunderTitan » Jun 5 2006, 11:38

I didn't have any problems playing Winamp while HoMM5 was running. Of course on Very Low settings, otherwise both programs lag like hell.

P4 2.6; 512 RAM; 6600 GT;
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Image

User avatar
Babri
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 31
Joined: 16 May 2006
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Postby Babri » Jun 5 2006, 11:53

ThunderTitan wrote:I didn't have any problems playing Winamp while HoMM5 was running. Of course on Very Low settings, otherwise both programs lag like hell.

P4 2.6; 512 RAM; 6600 GT;


Well this is just dumbfounding me. I just upgraded my system, I've installed a brand new HDD and installed just HOMM5 and still, this issue. My system runs the game on Ultra High Quality without a single glitch - smooth. What could be causing this, you think?
The average person thinks he isn’t.

User avatar
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 23266
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Now/here
Contact:

Postby ThunderTitan » Jun 5 2006, 12:10

Try it on Low settings, see if it works better. Winamp does seem to slow down the computer alot when you play a game at the same time. If it doesn't work try another player, see if it's just Winamp, or the game.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!

I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €


Image

Purple Sky
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 101
Joined: 17 May 2006

Postby Purple Sky » Jun 5 2006, 12:14

Maybe you cant have everything. Ever thought of that?

User avatar
Babri
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 31
Joined: 16 May 2006
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Postby Babri » Jun 5 2006, 12:20

ThunderTitan wrote:Try it on Low settings, see if it works better. Winamp does seem to slow down the computer alot when you play a game at the same time. If it doesn't work try another player, see if it's just Winamp, or the game.

I've tried the game on all settings. Funnily enough only Winamp breaks up, the game seems to run smoothly all the way through.
The average person thinks he isn’t.

User avatar
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 23266
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Now/here
Contact:

Postby ThunderTitan » Jun 5 2006, 12:25

Try a new player then.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!

I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €


Image

User avatar
Babri
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 31
Joined: 16 May 2006
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Postby Babri » Jun 5 2006, 12:29

I will - I've just downloaded some new stuff and I hate to have to choose between my music and the game!
The average person thinks he isn’t.

User avatar
innokenti
Conscript
Conscript
Posts: 202
Joined: 11 Jan 2006

Postby innokenti » Jun 5 2006, 13:55

innokenti wrote:Open up your Winamp

Preferences > Options > General Preferences

Slider on the right 'Priority'. Set that to something higher and see if plays okay, if not, increase it one more notch etc. (Should be okay with 'high' or 'normal')

EDIT: If you have to go to 'realtime'... don't. Because that would almost certainly make Heroes run slower and other apps/games too.


*points up*

User avatar
Babri
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 31
Joined: 16 May 2006
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Postby Babri » Jun 5 2006, 14:01

innokenti wrote:
innokenti wrote:Open up your Winamp

Preferences > Options > General Preferences

Slider on the right 'Priority'. Set that to something higher and see if plays okay, if not, increase it one more notch etc. (Should be okay with 'high' or 'normal')

EDIT: If you have to go to 'realtime'... don't. Because that would almost certainly make Heroes run slower and other apps/games too.


*points up*


Well, thank you! I'll definitely look into that.
The average person thinks he isn’t.

User avatar
5il3nc3r
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 86
Joined: 21 May 2006

Postby 5il3nc3r » Jun 5 2006, 14:26

Babri wrote:Okay, that's great, but tell me the following:
1) System specs
2) You running HOMM5?
3) Are you listening to MP3s or another format?
4) Which player are you using?

1) P4 - 3.2 GHz; 1Gb DDR; ATI Radeon 9800se
2) Yup
3) MP3s and OGGs
4) WinAmp

I'm also listening to my music and playing Heroes 5 at the same time, without having a single problem.

5il
The pen is deadlier than the sword;
if the pen is very sharp and the sword very short.


Return to “Heroes V-VI”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 20 guests