Elemental Chains in Dungeon Castle

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Skull
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Elemental Chains in Dungeon Castle

Unread postby Skull » 03 Jun 2006, 20:55

What does the building elemental chains do in the Dungeon City? How do you use it ?

Eon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Eon » 03 Jun 2006, 21:08

I hope someone answers this. I have not figured that out yet and believe I have the skill to use this feature. And as I am in the middle of the Dungeon campaign I would like to find out.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 03 Jun 2006, 21:15

There are two buildings in the Dungeon associated with Elemental Chains- the Altar of Elements and the Altar of Primal Elements. The first one will allow you to see the elements of your own units in battle, and the second will increase the damage that the chains do.

As for how elemental chains work, if you have the skill elemental vision, you'll be able to see those of enemy stacks as well. If you attack an enemy stack withone of your own that has an opposing element, you'll do some extra damage. The same is true if you cast a destruction spell of an opposing element.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Eon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Eon » 03 Jun 2006, 21:42

Thank you Gaidal Cain.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 03 Jun 2006, 21:46

I understand that you can see the elements, but I found that the extra damage was usually insignificant. I did at most around 70 or 80 extra fire damage, and it didn't go beyond the number killed in red when you mouse over a unit for an attack, so it must be included in that total right?

In the end game of I did an extra 400 damage but it didn't mean anything on a titan.

Also, what is "blowing up a chain"?, I've seen no such effect, just individual strikes.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Jun 2006, 22:09

PhoenixReborn wrote:Also, what is "blowing up a chain"?, I've seen no such effect, just individual strikes.
Elemental chains were planed to be much more complicated and powerfull.Each upgraded unit had two elements,and basic one.If you attacked a unit it received the element of the attacker(or the spell),and if it was attacked by opposite element it received extra damage.Upgraded unit that got attacked by both opposing element(fire and air being attacked by water and earth received a lot of extra damage).But that got trown out.

Rapier
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Rapier » 04 Jun 2006, 03:43

Did it get thrown out for a particular reason? OR was it just considered too complicated? (I could see it being impossible to balance across different player skill levels...)
~ Rapier.

Curio
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Curio » 04 Jun 2006, 04:00

I think it was thrown out for simplicity's sake. It's either been stated, or is the general consensus of players, I'm not sure.

Raspyn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Raspyn » 04 Jun 2006, 04:23

For a very well put together explanation of elemental chains, I like this explanation:

http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.com/he ... ains.shtml

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 04 Jun 2006, 08:35

PhoenixReborn wrote:I understand that you can see the elements, but I found that the extra damage was usually insignificant. I did at most around 70 or 80 extra fire damage, and it didn't go beyond the number killed in red when you mouse over a unit for an attack, so it must be included in that total right?
The game should include all damage that will 100% guaranteed happen, so yes, it should be included.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 04 Jun 2006, 08:41

Raspyn wrote:For a very well put together explanation of elemental chains, I like this explanation:

Also http://www.celestialheavens.com/viewpage.php?id=533 may give some idea, what is going on.

Snap
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Snap » 04 Jun 2006, 15:47

Raspyn wrote:For a very well put together explanation of elemental chains, I like this explanation:

Finally! The missing manual :) The only thing it doesn't explain are actual elemental chains - but I've read about them elsewhere.

BTW, what's your opinion of these skills? Are they worth it? Usually in combat you don't have that much freedom in picking your targets. I mean, there are usually more compelling considerations than dealing a bit of extra damage.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 04 Jun 2006, 16:22

Seems more or less OK. Often, you can choose what to strike with which unit - you should have 4 or 5 units that can attack from round one, plus the hero, so getting three attacks with elemental damage seems reasonable to expect.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 05 Jun 2006, 14:23

Gaidal Cain wrote:
PhoenixReborn wrote:I understand that you can see the elements, but I found that the extra damage was usually insignificant. I did at most around 70 or 80 extra fire damage, and it didn't go beyond the number killed in red when you mouse over a unit for an attack, so it must be included in that total right?
The game should include all damage that will 100% guaranteed happen, so yes, it should be included.
Yes, the mouse-over damage does include chain damage as well. The easiest way to see this is to choose an elemental spell. Check the damage in the book, then target an opposite-aligned creature and a non-opposite aligned.

I haven't yet determines the exact damage boost, but it seems to be between 15 and 20% I think it might be related creature level or hero spell-power, but that's just a feeling.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 05 Jun 2006, 14:35

It's based on your level in Irresitible magic. 5% per level. And then there's the bonus from Dungeons.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”