Upgrading Troop Stupidity

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Upgrading Troop Stupidity

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 02 Jun 2006, 22:52

Am I the only person that this annoys?

When you want to upgrade some troops in your castle, the following occurs:

If you have enough money, it's kind enough to tell you what it's going to cost you to upgrade the troop(s).

If you don't have enough money... it gives you a blank stare and says not enough resources...

Uh... DUH... that's probably why I can't upgrade them (I figured that out all on my own). Why doesn't the stupid game tell you how much you DO need to upgrade that stack instead of treating you like an idiot and just saying the obvious that you don't have enough resources... yeah, I kinda figured!

Anyone else annoyed by this, or is it just me?!?!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Jun 2006, 22:55

Sorry, but that's completly overshadow by alot of other annoying things for me.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 02 Jun 2006, 22:59

I'm not saying it's the most important thing to fix in the game, I'm saying why is it like that in the first place?

It's just annoying and stupid that it's only HALF helpful. Never said the world would end because of it.

karacha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby karacha » 02 Jun 2006, 23:03

Because, as I said earlier, the game is unfinished. Nice potential, but lots of little things missing. You find something on the map - there's no description. What's up with that?

Minmaster
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Minmaster » 02 Jun 2006, 23:12

yup file that one under the annoying stuff. tell us how much it costs then!

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 02 Jun 2006, 23:19

What's really annoying is that in one of the windows you can upgrade on (if you double click the creatures themselves iirc) it tells you how much it costs, but if you upgrade through the normal button or on the hill fort it doesn't.

On a similar note, if you don't have enough resources to upgrade creatures tier with the haven special ability it tells you you don't have the required skills or building, which is wrong.

Little annoyances like these do add up...

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 02 Jun 2006, 23:32

Yes, it's quite a nusiance. You can always split the unupgraded stack in half or something to see if you can upgrade that, but you shouldn't have to be doing that!
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Raspyn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Raspyn » 03 Jun 2006, 00:06

Yeah, that definitely bugs me too :)

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 03 Jun 2006, 00:53

Worse yet, (one of) the most annoying thing(s) is that you cannot see the information (stats and all) for the not-yet upgraded (or built) units. C'mon Nival this is one of the most basic things in the game. I cried about this for long time that the new creature hire screen is crap compared to the beta version. But noone listened I guess. :disagree:
I believe in science and that science can explain everything.
Because God has made it all work in such a beautiful way...

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 03 Jun 2006, 01:21

Yeah... you never know how useful an upgrade is until AFTER you buy it! That goes for upgrading units or town structures!

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 03 Jun 2006, 01:25

While ingame info sux this much, I cannot imagine the frustration of a newbie! Some probably don't even care, but some would throw the game ot of the window!
I believe in science and that science can explain everything.
Because God has made it all work in such a beautiful way...

Blue_Camel
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Blue_Camel » 03 Jun 2006, 02:06

it's not hard, just mouse-over the upwards arrow (the upgrade button), it will tell you the cost of the upgrade, no matter where you're upgrading. H5 has a lot more info than you'd think at first glance; some can be found by right-clicking on stuff, some by mousing-over. it could be more obvious though, i agree.

5il3nc3r
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby 5il3nc3r » 03 Jun 2006, 03:33

the thing is, the above posters said that it does, in fact, tell you how much it costs... if you have enough ressources

But if you don't have enough, it doesn't tell you, which is completely stupid but meh -_-

§ıĿ
The pen is deadlier than the sword;
if the pen is very sharp and the sword very short.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 03 Jun 2006, 03:35

Blue_Camel wrote:it's not hard, just mouse-over the upwards arrow (the upgrade button), it will tell you the cost of the upgrade, no matter where you're upgrading. H5 has a lot more info than you'd think at first glance; some can be found by right-clicking on stuff, some by mousing-over. it could be more obvious though, i agree.
I thought I said that to begin with... you only get how much it costs... IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT... it tells you NOTHING if you can't afford it!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Jun 2006, 03:57

Well this worked in HIII,so why bother improving?

Yes,this feature is really annoying.You have to calculate on your own how much you need.Stupid actually.

5il3nc3r
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby 5il3nc3r » 03 Jun 2006, 04:07

How can you calculate on your own when you don't know how much it costs per unit to upgrade? Unless of course you split a stack to make a pile of one unit to see how much it costs and calculate from there. But if you're really broke, that might not even work. Of course you rarely try to upgrade a unit when you're broke, but you might want to know in how many turns you'll be able to upgrade them, and you can't because you can't determine how much it'll cost.

§ıĿ
The pen is deadlier than the sword;
if the pen is very sharp and the sword very short.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Jun 2006, 04:20

Well you can always memorize the numbers :D

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 03 Jun 2006, 12:35

you could check the reference cards (online) and do the math, but it is needlessly clunky. seriously, that's not very pro to leave things like that in the game =/

BlueBlade
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BlueBlade » 03 Jun 2006, 17:12

Erm, I think I'm probably the only person who noticed this, but you CAN know how much you need to upgrade any troop, even if you don't have enough resources. I just registered so I could share the tip. Gotta give them points for making the interface just as unintuitive as it can get. ;)

If you don't have enough to upgrade a certain stack, it indeed won't show you how much resources you need if you're trying it from the upgrade screen with all your stacks. On the other hand, if you double-click on the stack itself for the stack info, there's an upgrade button in the bottom right. If you hover this button, it will show the upgrade cost in white if you can afford it, or in red if you can't. For example, if you're trying to upgrade 8 Devils it would show something like "16 sulfur 22000 gold" in red (assuming you don't have enough for it).

Hope this helps!

Return to “Heroes V-VI”