3-rd dreaded mission in the Inferno Campain

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 06 Jun 2006, 15:08

Just minutes ago, I finished the scenario in a strange way, without having to fight with Gilrean the second time!!

It seems that if you can clear the map before his majesty shows up, you win the game. I wasn't aiming for it, but I took the green AI's three castles and killed off all its heroes before the end of the first month -on the last day of the month actually-.. And viola! mission completed!

Though it may also be some kind of bug, as my next mission was Inferno No:5, skipping number four altogether. I am currently thinking if I should go back, avoid taking the third green castle and face Gilrean, to reach lvl24 and then hopefully lvl 28-30, whatever the cap is on the fourth scenario..

Hope this proves to be an easier solution for some of you..

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 06 Jun 2006, 16:57

cornellian wrote:Just minutes ago, I finished the scenario in a strange way, without having to fight with Gilrean the second time!!

It seems that if you can clear the map before his majesty shows up, you win the game. I wasn't aiming for it, but I took the green AI's three castles and killed off all its heroes before the end of the first month -on the last day of the month actually-.. And viola! mission completed!
I think someone mentioned fighting gilrean three times,so he is connected with the green in a way.
cornellian wrote: Though it may also be some kind of bug, as my next mission was Inferno No:5, skipping number four altogether. I am currently thinking if I should go back, avoid taking the third green castle and face Gilrean, to reach lvl24 and then hopefully lvl 28-30, whatever the cap is on the fourth scenario..
This is a known bug that happenes sometimes.You can always pick your next mission manually,but Im not sure how that affects your character.

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 06 Jun 2006, 18:54

He should be connected to green, I believe the game treats him as just another green hero, but one that happens to be teleported into the map in some later week. So, if you beat the green when he is not around, you beat the faction altogether, including him..

Though I plan to load and wait for him to show up (dignity my friends :D, fight to death I shall), it is refreshing to have a backup way in case Gilrean's army proves to be too big for dignity or Agrael...

Othello
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Othello » 07 Jun 2006, 12:47

Ok, after like 5 days of trying to beat this map, I just did. I tried taking everyones advice about going quickly, but I ended up turtling again. I used Agrael's speed to my advantage by checking when the huge-army heroes were far away, and i sprinted to the ne town which was guarded by like 3 guys. I happened to take it right before the week ended, so instant reinforcements. Eventually one of the heavy hitters attacked, but he was a standard issue army, one of each troop. I easily took out his range and his catapult and then used my trees to tank his dragons and sprites. A billion phantom master hunter armies later and he had no way to attack me, so i just picked him off.

I had already taken care of Gilrean earlier no problem, but this is where my turtling came to bight me in the butt. The AI wouldnt attack the NE town while I was in it, and I needed the advantage of walls + towers to win against his massive army. I was exploring with another hero and discovered he only had 1 hero with a major army, and he started to chase me. I took Agrael around over the top and the AI noticed and started to run back to town to defend. I took one of my throw-away heros and put him close to the major army. On his turn he turns, attacks the throw away, and falls 1 movement point short of blocking my path. I managed to get Agrael to the town in 1 turn, and found it was defended by 1 Blade Dancer. I feel so totally awesome now :D

Warlock
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warlock » 07 Jun 2006, 23:38

This was the advice I saw from someone over at GameFAQs that worked amazingly well:

Get some basic Inferno troops (Imps near the town + whatever you can hire within one or two days) and head east. IGNORE the southern town (doing so will prevent the Druid event from triggering which means much fewer sylvan troops for the enemy) and instead head north to the north-western town. You *don't* have to fight the Pheonixes, but there is a group of Mages on the way that may be a bit tough (Phantom Forces helps a ton on this). Once you get past them it's smooth sailing. During the first month or so the town's defenses are incredibly weak and it's quite easy to take. Gilraen will spawn eventually but not for awhile (and I think if you take the southern one he spawns right away).

As soon as you take this town, you've essentially cut off the CPU's Green Dragon supply. The rest of the map is extremely easy. At this point I recommend waiting and just wandering the map, building up Agrael and capturing mines, etc. You may also want to hire another hero to guard your town and do random work (capturing mines, etc). As others have suggested, stick to a strictly Sylvan army as soon as your Inferno troops pittle out. Don't bother upgrading the Inferno town except for resource-producing structures (unless you have an excess of cash). One thing I did do tho, was actually have my hired hero with Inferno troops (ironically a Sylvan hero) so I didn't have to "steal" troops away from Agrael.

Once you're ready go ahead and conquer the rest of the map. It's incredibly easy now because the CPU does not have stacks of 60 Green Dragons.

A few bugs to watch out for with this tho (may have been fixed w/ 1.1 but I doubt it):
-If you kill Gilrael before the southern town is captured, you'll never be able to complete the "Kill Gilrael" objective and have to restart! Watch out for this! With the NW town captured he does not in my experience wander much at all, but instead stays and guards the NE town. But he will wander occassionally so be careful. Also be careful and check who is guarding the NE town when you do capture it. You can usually tell which hero Gilrael is because he generally is the only one with a hero trail (yellow butterflies).
-If you kill the Druids before capturing the southern town you'll never be able to complete the "Kill the Druids" event (easy enough to avoid if you know better)

Basically, this is a "watch how stupid bad the AI is when it can't cheat" strategy :) I think they rely a LOT on the NW town for massive armies, and they rely a lot on the druids for extra creatures (someone suggested they may have Diplomacy so they can pick up the extra creature spawns and build up their army fast).

With this, I think the worst army I saw was something like 20 Treants, 20 Unicorns, 30 Druids, 50 Hunters, and 100 Pixies (or approximately that). Easy as pie.

I havn't really tried this mission since 1.1, which apparently made it much easier, but this should still work I think.

khruloc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby khruloc » 08 Jun 2006, 03:40

Anyway here's my strategy:

Choose: 43 horned overseers (Campaign 2 choose phantom force)

The first few steps are really sterotype:
1) Buy 1 new hero (Best if the hell hound speciality); pick up imps; transfer army.
2) Battle Gilean. (if imps are present, druids target them 1st)
3) Gallop to mines, witch huts, PIXIES, exp points etc.
4) DO NOT ATTACK THE 1ST TOWN!!!!
(Once attacked, the slyvian week is triggered every week, Gilean will be unstoppable. However there's a BUG to this, I'II explain later)
5) Route I took: Gold mine->Gem mine->Crystal Mine->pass slyanna tree->Gold mine->Sulphur mine->Wood shed->Red Tent
6) Picked up 44 peasants
7) Battle swarm of plague zombies->crypt->Red Key Gate
8) Hell of a fight with air elemental (Why? Lacking in mercury)
Meanwhile the 2nd hero gallop to gather dwelling creatures; castle: all creature necessasities->city hall->max basic dwellings->max upgraded dwellings
9) Skeleton archers->More mercury->Vampires->Enchanted Spring-> back to main castle->wait a couple of days->build mage guild level 3->learn summon creatures-> gallop to raja rakasha-> get orange key-> gallop back(no town portal spell)
10) Defeat military post; more work to do for 1st hero; so buy another one(transfer geek: better if it's Grok, logistics ^^)
11) Gallop to Fort->clear the guards-> upgrade creatures

Now you have a choice:

A) Defeat top left hand castle first
- relatively easy (1~2 enemy heroes at most)
- Capture town
- don't worry about mines; buy a 3rd hero at the new town; accumulate peasants ($$$); get mines etc.
- gallop to top right hand town. By this time, the army is huge enough to scare Gilean in the town itself. (Even though he has emerald dragons)
- END OF WEEK 4
- Death knight->Armor of forgotten hero->Frenzy scroll etc
- Hell of a fight with Emerald dragons
- More creatures summon. 5~7 days later Gilean moves
- Wait at slylanna tree
- Once he's near, attack the 1st town. Do it on 1st day of the week. So that you have 6 days before the slylanna week to grab the last town.
-----------BUG Alert!-------------
If you attack the first town last after gilean, you are stuck! No "Letter" cut scene. Scenario is bugged. Gilean will attack but there is no "Failure" cut scene.
-----------------------------------
- Once defeated him, get the last town
- gallop to elders
- End game

B) Defeat the top right hand town.

As it has the most upgraded facilities.
- AS LONG AS THE 1ST TOWN IS DEFEATED LAST, GILEAN WILL APPEAR IN THE TOP LEFT HAND TOWN. HE WILL NOT APPEAR IN THE 1ST TOWN.
- Buy stuff in the town, guard it.
- Gilean attacks
- Cat and mouse chase in any Clockwise or anticlockwise fashion.
- Weaken his army by letting him attack the towns along the way.
- He wouldn't put his dragons into the sieges but at least the towers got rid most of his druids/elves
- meanwhile, as gilean chases, he wouldn't bother about your main castle. Save your 5000 + Ore on fort (Cant't upgrade to castle anyway)
- Once he is nicely reduced in army strength, trashed him (remember to get 1st town before doing that)
- get the last town; others as per norm

I have to disagree on not building up the main town. There's a fort nearby. So it doesn't matter. The script is not very well written. With the slyanna creatures increase every week. Relying on the bug would be easier. I did not use any Slyanna creatures in combat only in seiges. I am a pure Inferno Heretic! Even without expoiting the bug, the "cat mouse chase" strategy works every time.

Hope this helps.

TomVenom
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TomVenom » 08 Jun 2006, 09:18

Wolfshanze wrote:KILL ALL DRUIDS.

They are the ones making sylvans all over the map that end up in your enemy's armies.

Kill the druids as quick as you can, and this becomes a much simpler scenario.
yep, that's exactly what to do.
Druids produce dozen of sylvans creatures that sylvan heroes can buy in their towns, AND get for free on the adventure map (creatures join easily sylvan heroes).

I played two times this scenario :
1st time, I took to much time for travelling and visiting the whole south part of the map, without going to meet the druids. And after a while, the enemy came to me, and smashed me with hundreds of sylvan creatures.
2nd time, still being played (not finished) I killed the druids as soon as possible. Now, the Green Leader seems to be more "peaceful" :D

Don't forget to make a terrestrial communication network with three or four heroes that will bring fresh units to your main hero.

oorlog
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby oorlog » 08 Jun 2006, 13:07

khruloc wrote:Anyway here's my strategy:

Choose: 43 horned overseers (Campaign 2 choose phantom force)

The first few steps are really sterotype:
1) Buy 1 new hero (Best if the hell hound speciality); pick up imps; transfer army.

by saying to transfer army you mean to defeat gilaen with the secondary hero?

2) Battle Gilean. (if imps are present, druids target them 1st)
3) Gallop to mines, witch huts, PIXIES, exp points etc.
4) DO NOT ATTACK THE 1ST TOWN!!!!
(Once attacked, the slyvian week is triggered every week, Gilean will be unstoppable. However there's a BUG to this, I'II explain later)
5) Route I took: Gold mine->Gem mine->Crystal Mine->pass slyanna tree->Gold mine->Sulphur mine->Wood shed->Red Tent
6) Picked up 44 peasants
7) Battle swarm of plague zombies->crypt->Red Key Gate
8) Hell of a fight with air elemental (Why? Lacking in mercury)

and all this hell of fights with what army,the initial one :| (20 cerbers,12 succubus ,70-80 imps and 50-60 horned demons)???????????
i'v tried but i had lots of casualities!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meanwhile the 2nd hero gallop to gather dwelling creatures; castle: all creature necessasities->city hall->max basic dwellings->max upgraded dwellings
9) Skeleton archers->More mercury->Vampires->Enchanted Spring-> back to main castle->wait a couple of days->build mage guild level 3->learn summon creatures-> gallop to raja rakasha-> get orange key-> gallop back(no town portal spell)
10) Defeat military post; more work to do for 1st hero; so buy another one(transfer geek: better if it's Grok, logistics ^^)

what military post are you talking about?

11) Gallop to Fort->clear the guards-> upgrade creatures

what fort?(it's not the one guarded by the water elementals, isn't it? 8|

Now you have a choice:

A) Defeat top left hand castle first
- relatively easy (1~2 enemy heroes at most)
- Capture town
- don't worry about mines; buy a 3rd hero at the new town; accumulate peasants ($$$); get mines etc.
- gallop to top right hand town. By this time, the army is huge enough to scare Gilean in the town itself. (Even though he has emerald dragons)
- END OF WEEK 4

- Death knight->Armor of forgotten hero->Frenzy scroll etc
- Hell of a fight with Emerald dragons

and all after these hell of fights your army is reduced near to nothing,i suppose!

- More creatures summon. 5~7 days later Gilean moves

then gilean moves and smashes again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Wait at slylanna tree
- Once he's near, attack the 1st town. Do it on 1st day of the week. So that you have 6 days before the slylanna week to grab the last town.
-----------BUG Alert!-------------
If you attack the first town last after gilean, you are stuck! No "Letter" cut scene. Scenario is bugged. Gilean will attack but there is no "Failure" cut scene.
-----------------------------------
- Once defeated him, get the last town
- gallop to elders
- End game

B) Defeat the top right hand town.

As it has the most upgraded facilities.
- AS LONG AS THE 1ST TOWN IS DEFEATED LAST, GILEAN WILL APPEAR IN THE TOP LEFT HAND TOWN. HE WILL NOT APPEAR IN THE 1ST TOWN.
- Buy stuff in the town, guard it.
- Gilean attacks
- Cat and mouse chase in any Clockwise or anticlockwise fashion.
- Weaken his army by letting him attack the towns along the way.
- He wouldn't put his dragons into the sieges but at least the towers got rid most of his druids/elves
- meanwhile, as gilean chases, he wouldn't bother about your main castle. Save your 5000 + Ore on fort (Cant't upgrade to castle anyway)
- Once he is nicely reduced in army strength, trashed him (remember to get 1st town before doing that)
- get the last town; others as per norm

I have to disagree on not building up the main town. There's a fort nearby. So it doesn't matter. The script is not very well written. With the slyanna creatures increase every week. Relying on the bug would be easier. I did not use any Slyanna creatures in combat only in seiges. I am a pure Inferno Heretic! Even without expoiting the bug, the "cat mouse chase" strategy works every time.

Hope this helps.

moogie
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

18 hours of fun (sort of)

Unread postby moogie » 08 Jun 2006, 18:49

Howdy - this is my first post. This scenario took me 18 HOURS!!! (about a week to finish.) I just finished it last night. You definitely need logistics otherwise you're dead. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter which town(s) you take. I don't think the elf guy ever tried to take my southern town.

I read in some other post to build up a ranger with highest leadership and go around recruiting all of the summoned elf guys. Unfortunately I didn't read that post until I was way into the campaign. So I tried it and I spent about 4 hours running around and gathering as much troops as I could (by this time Giladrel had like 50 dragons and such - my demon guy was no match for him). I parked my demon guy at one of the mines right above and left of the NE town and Giladrel (or whatever his name is) just camped in the NE town and would not leave while my ranger guy ran all over building up his army. Then I killed the druids and attacked Giladrel with my ranger. By this time Giladrel had like 80 dragons and 1000 archers. But I had 4000 sprites and 3000 archers. I did not have Phantom Forces or Frenzy or any of the spells other people wrote about. I had all my guys protecting my archers and druids and I just slowly killed off his army (my archers took out his archers in 1 shot).

The thing that absolutely sucks about this mission is that it is part of the demon campaign and I was forced to use an elf guy to win.

Other than that - I'm having a blast. I think this game is the best so far (I played 2 and 3). I don't know what everyone is bitching about.

But yes, this mission did kind of blow. Maybe the patch makes it easier (I haven't installed it yet), cause I don't relish playing this scenario again.

magritte2
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby magritte2 » 10 Jun 2006, 17:32

Just got through it (on normal difficulty). I basically followed the building up Sylvan troops strategy. I grabbed the first town on day 4 or so and pretty much spent all my inferno troops getting both gold mines and some other resources. I only made economic builds in the Inferno town and concentrated all my resources on building up the sylvan towns. I captured the NW sylvan town just before the end of month 1...it was lightly defended. I then pretty much wasted two weeks because I went after the red keymasters tent thinking that I needed to go through that gate to get to the druids. Whoops. Eventually got Agrael back around to go after the druids when Gilraen appeared in NE, a week away from Agrael but not far from the southern Sylvan town. Fortunately, I had a six hero chain that transferred all the troops to a secondary hero in two days--who then attacked Gilraen. Casualties were much heavier than they would have been with Agrael (probably wouldn't have worked on higher difficulty), but I got through it and the rest was mop up. I'm a little worried about not having capped Agrael on any of the maps though--he's only level 22 and he missed out on over 10,000 experience for the Gilraen kill.

Has anyone tried hiring a Ranger and using him as the primary attack force? I was wondering if it would be possible to get a lot of the sylvan creatures to join up. How hard is it for a ranger to get diplomacy?

oorlog
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby oorlog » 10 Jun 2006, 21:31

magritte2 wrote:Just got through it (on normal difficulty). I basically followed the building up Sylvan troops strategy. I grabbed the first town on day 4 or so and pretty much spent all my inferno troops getting both gold mines and some other resources. I only made economic builds in the Inferno town and concentrated all my resources on building up the sylvan towns. I captured the NW sylvan town just before the end of month 1...it was lightly defended. I then pretty much wasted two weeks because I went after the red keymasters tent thinking that I needed to go through that gate to get to the druids. Whoops. Eventually got Agrael back around to go after the druids when Gilraen appeared in NE, a week away from Agrael but not far from the southern Sylvan town. Fortunately, I had a six hero chain that transferred all the troops to a secondary hero in two days--who then attacked Gilraen. Casualties were much heavier than they would have been with Agrael (probably wouldn't have worked on higher difficulty), but I got through it and the rest was mop up. I'm a little worried about not having capped Agrael on any of the maps though--he's only level 22 and he missed out on over 10,000 experience for the Gilraen kill.

Has anyone tried hiring a Ranger and using him as the primary attack force? I was wondering if it would be possible to get a lot of the sylvan creatures to join up. How hard is it for a ranger to get diplomacy?
i think you' d better give up trying to hire a ranger hero only for the hope of getting diplomacy!!!!!!!
i'v tried myself,but the AI never granted diplomacy to my sylvan hero not even once!!!!!!!!!!

Bardolph
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Bardolph » 14 Jun 2006, 12:15

Just as I had anticipated, in the patch Gilraen is weakened. Maybe this will fix this scenario and it can be completed like a normal map instead of following a specific path to victory that you aren't given any hints about in the game, and you find out browsing the forums.
Or maybe Gilraen will still be very tough because the neutral creatures will still join him?
Nevertheless I think anyone who still has problems with this map should download the patch.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”