Dear map makers!

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 03 Jun 2006, 01:24

There are some things that make me nervous about the map editor.

First, they have told us absolutely nothing about it. They have never addressed the community of mapmakers.

Second, the maps included with the game are not very robust. I have never seen any dialog, any customization of anything, any sort of event. What we see here could be made with the Heroes I editor.

Third, the graphical style of the game does not lend itself well to creative mapmaking. I would guess there are maybe 10% of the number of map objects in Heroes IV. It also looks to me like the base terrain may require more art skills than before.

As I say, nervous.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 03 Jun 2006, 01:54

Caradoc wrote:There are some things that make me nervous about the map editor.

First, they have told us absolutely nothing about it. They have never addressed the community of mapmakers.

Second, the maps included with the game are not very robust. I have never seen any dialog, any customization of anything, any sort of event. What we see here could be made with the Heroes I editor.

Third, the graphical style of the game does not lend itself well to creative mapmaking. I would guess there are maybe 10% of the number of map objects in Heroes IV. It also looks to me like the base terrain may require more art skills than before.

As I say, nervous.
I agree with you, one of my frequently stated fears is UBI is sacrificing the true Heroes heart for glitzy graphics. It could well be the object placement may be too complicated in an editor that allows for the flexibility that we are use to. What I mean here is, we now have to consider camera angles and some items may be unnecessarily difficult to place and not reduce the map to a search under the microscope expedition. I am be way off base here and will wait to see if that is in fact a problem. Another big concern here is as you mentioned there seemed to be no inputs solicited from the heroes community on what the editor should be able to do. CH had a thread that was to be summarized and submitted to UBI on the editor, but UBI was suddenly not interested. This is one of the potentially reckless decisions that has been made in this game’s development.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 03 Jun 2006, 02:14

i didnt think of any of that, but now you mention it, i am nervous too... all thats left to do now is just to wait and hope....

JonahFalcon
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Dear map makers!

Unread postby JonahFalcon » 04 Jun 2006, 22:18

Znork wrote:Now i understand that all of you want a map making tool now my question is to you:do you realy want it now? Or is it more important that its still a good tool in 2 years? No you all know what happens if the rushe things right? Many of you argue that this game was rushed. So would it not be wiser to say to fc use ass long time as you want but tool bether be perfect?

I realy dont care that muche never found a map i liked to play. And i realy dont like making maps.

But still is this whining about no mapmaking tool very wise when what you realy want is a realy god one?
Considering they supply a whole EIGHT maps, and none of them co-op from what I see, AND I've ALWAYS released an extra-large co-op map on day of release...

Linky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Linky » 04 Jun 2006, 22:30

I have already shelved HoMM5. It's there waiting for the map editor. All we need is that editor - the community has already shown that everything in the game is moddable. If we're lacking certain objects in the editor, they will be created eventually.

All we need is a tool to enable all this. The sooner the better.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”