Dear map makers!

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Znork
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Dear map makers!

Unread postby Znork » 02 Jun 2006, 10:31

Now i understand that all of you want a map making tool now my question is to you:do you realy want it now? Or is it more important that its still a good tool in 2 years? No you all know what happens if the rushe things right? Many of you argue that this game was rushed. So would it not be wiser to say to fc use ass long time as you want but tool bether be perfect?

I realy dont care that muche never found a map i liked to play. And i realy dont like making maps.

But still is this whining about no mapmaking tool very wise when what you realy want is a realy god one?
Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice!

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 02 Jun 2006, 10:35

If they took two years to release the map editor they will simply kill the game all by themselves IMO. Basically, the map editor already exists - the devs used it to create the game after all - so it shouldn't take long to make a "lighter" version of the editor for the community.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Dear map makers!

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 02 Jun 2006, 10:40

Znork wrote:Now i understand that all of you want a map making tool now my question is to you:do you realy want it now? Or is it more important that its still a good tool in 2 years? No you all know what happens if the rushe things right? Many of you argue that this game was rushed. So would it not be wiser to say to fc use ass long time as you want but tool bether be perfect?

I realy dont care that muche never found a map i liked to play. And i realy dont like making maps.

But still is this whining about no mapmaking tool very wise when what you realy want is a realy god one?
Its not the same.The time that passes between the initial game release and map editor release depends on the available maps in the game.And that number is guite low.So a map editor is needed for this game to survive.Especially because it was rushed.

DuRieL
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby DuRieL » 02 Jun 2006, 10:50

I could wait some time, but 2 years sounds quite far-fetched... at the very least.
  • It depends on these things:
  • How good is the editor.
  • How long is the wait.
Something to consider also, is the fact that the number of maps in the retail is very limited.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Dear map makers!

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 02 Jun 2006, 11:20

DaemianLucifer wrote:Its not the same.The time that passes between the initial game release and map editor release depends on the available maps in the game.And that number is guite low.So a map editor is needed for this game to survive.Especially because it was rushed.
Yes, Ubi will need to release a map editor fairly soon or they will hurt the fan base. Fan made content has always been a huge part of HOMM's success.

They also promised to release more maps in the near future.

GOW

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 02 Jun 2006, 12:13

Two years? That's completely INSANE! I'm thinking "maybe" 3 months @ best! It's summertime so many of us are doing outdoor things, so I'm not playing computer games as much (with the exception of HoMMV)

If it was "rushed" out the door, fine. But as another posted here mentioned....The Map Editor is there...it just needs to be tweaked for us. HoMMV can't survive that long w/o a ME because of the very few maps that were provided in the first place (as we know)

So....Nival/Ubisoft hurry up & give us what we should have received once the game hit the streets!

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 02 Jun 2006, 12:36

H5 need its archangel now, the map editor or it would be the most short living Homm game ever.

Logan Warbringer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Logan Warbringer » 02 Jun 2006, 13:05

I've expressed my opinion in patch thread.

The editor must be released as quickly as possible. It's much more important than all kinds of fixes of minor bugs.

Experienced fans will finish the campaigns quite soon, and 16 single maps there are in the game is just not enough. Moreover, some of those maps are, actually, not really "new" (they existed in H3 - this is just a H5 mode of the same ideas). "Warlords", for example. Before starting it I knew, where are my rivals and their towns:)

So...the editor is vital. It should come first.
Last edited by Logan Warbringer on 02 Jun 2006, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.heroesportal.net -- More than 2000 maps for Heroes of Might and Magic I, II, III, IV. Forums and chat in heroic style! Various tourneys and everything a real hero needs!

Znork
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Znork » 02 Jun 2006, 15:32

Logan Warbringer wrote: The editor must be released as quickly as possible. It's much more important than all kinds of fixes of minor bugs.
Do any of you think ubi/nival has show a tendancy to wait to long to relase stuff?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 02 Jun 2006, 16:05

Znork wrote:Do any of you think ubi/nival has show a tendancy to wait to long to relase stuff?
No but they show a tendency of giving crap about fans requests.

karacha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby karacha » 02 Jun 2006, 16:14

Map editor, and later RMG, are the essenital parts of the game. No editor = game ends up on my shelf in 14 days. It's essential. Other things can wait, this can not. The editor is there already, they used it to make those maps. Just fix few bugs and upload it on few servers. Look at CIV editor, works great, doesn't it?

Znork
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Znork » 02 Jun 2006, 16:20

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Znork wrote:Do any of you think ubi/nival has show a tendancy to wait to long to relase stuff?
No but they show a tendency of giving crap about fans requests.
I beg to differ:) But what do you want now? you know its not ready, what do you want? They are working hard onit but do you want if later or sooner. Later = more time to make it good, sonner = more bugs and more patches!

DuRieL
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby DuRieL » 02 Jun 2006, 16:29

karacha wrote:...and later RMG...
I wouldn't get my hopes up about the RMG; it'll be a lot more difficult to code one in 3D for starters, and unlike the map editor, the devs probably don't have a "rough cut" of it, i.e. they never used one in the developing process.

Although... they probably used a random generator for the plot.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 02 Jun 2006, 16:45

While I am fine with waiting a little bit for the map editor, I will admit that I will be upset when July comes around and all of a sudden Nival hits us with the "it's going to take a little longer" excuse. You know it's gonna happen.

I personally don't get what's wrong with it now. Like someone else in this thread said, the thing does exist and does work. Otherwise, how would they have made any maps if they didn't have a working map editor.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 02 Jun 2006, 16:57

Znork wrote:I beg to differ:) But what do you want now? you know its not ready, what do you want? They are working hard onit but do you want if later or sooner. Later = more time to make it good, sonner = more bugs and more patches!
I want the game redone so that it comes out finished this time.With no extra charge :devil:

Znork
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Znork » 02 Jun 2006, 17:04

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Znork wrote:I beg to differ:) But what do you want now? you know its not ready, what do you want? They are working hard onit but do you want if later or sooner. Later = more time to make it good, sonner = more bugs and more patches!
I want the game redone so that it comes out finished this time.With no extra charge :devil:
He He but knowing this is imposibel, and this only has to do withe map editor what do you want?

Capt_Tripps
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Capt_Tripps » 02 Jun 2006, 22:02

They should release the editor(s) that they have now. This would NOT prevent them from updating the editor later. Saying that we shouldn't get the editor now because they need to update it is like saying they shouldn't release the current patch because it does not address all the bugs.

Release it now. Fix it. Release an updated version.

Would you rather have a scenario like this go down.

We're not going to release the editor now because the expansion is going to change the maps. You should get it with the expansion.

Sorry, the next expansion is going to change some more stuff. Please be patient.

*1.5 years later*
Look, we never actually said that we would absolutely release the editor, and we're busy working on ports for he XBox360 and PS3, so it doesn't the editor will be released any time soon. Thanks for playing.

If you think that a scenario like that is preposterous, you might want to check out Worms 3D.

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 02 Jun 2006, 22:25

ok, does anybody here remember what FC said once? "The editor and the RMG will come out in a patch in July" or something like that. sure, it will probably be delayed a bit, but i highly doubt it will go on into August. mid-July is a good guess. you people are talking about it like you have to wait another 3 months or something. relax, enjoy the game. for those of you that think they should have delayed the game until the editor was finished, all you need to do is not but the game. then when the editor comes out, you can buy it and install the editor. otherwise, get the game and enjoy it for now. if you beat it and are bored with it since theres no editor,just let it sit on the shelf for a few weeks, big deal. then get the editor when its ready and play the game again. now stop complaining and do one of the things i said above.

Znork
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Znork » 02 Jun 2006, 23:18

soupnazii wrote:ok, does anybody here remember what FC said once? "The editor and the RMG will come out in a patch in July" or something like that. sure, it will probably be delayed a bit, but i highly doubt it will go on into August. mid-July is a good guess. you people are talking about it like you have to wait another 3 months or something. relax, enjoy the game. for those of you that think they should have delayed the game until the editor was finished, all you need to do is not but the game. then when the editor comes out, you can buy it and install the editor. otherwise, get the game and enjoy it for now. if you beat it and are bored with it since theres no editor,just let it sit on the shelf for a few weeks, big deal. then get the editor when its ready and play the game again. now stop complaining and do one of the things i said above.
the editor will be in the next patchte, rmg will not come for many years!

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 02 Jun 2006, 23:35

Actually I think UBI has been incredibly insensitive to the fans and their desires. One part of the world gets a deluxe edition with heroes II, the US (where I am) gets a no expansion version of Heroes III and Heroes IV, and the UK gets a complete with all versions and expansions. Only the incredibly stupid would think that the international fan base would not notice or not care that one part of the world is being left out. If this is the way UBI is going to handle the might and magic universe, then I’m outta here. They need to release the complete edition to everyone, the map editor (with a delay of a couple of months is ok with me) had better have a campaign capability or the can keep their product in France. What’s next no editor and they sell new maps like the record industry sells mp3s, I bet their thinking about it in the future. I am probably getting to the point where my game playing days are coming to an end and I do not have the interest in wasting time on a company that makes such incompetent decisions. nuff said
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Return to “Heroes V-VI”