What is the WEAKEST town in the game?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Choose the WEAKEST town faction of all

Haven
3%
Dungeon
7%
Academy
24%
Necromancer
4%
Sylvan
4%
Inferno
58%

Total votes: 72

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Jun 2006, 02:51

If you play someone other then necro youll have to rush your town,and setup a chain of heroes so you can resuply your main army once it gets weakend.Not to mention that youll have to go back to your town to learn spells.With a necromancer you need just one spell and lots of neutrals.You never have to build your town,except for the end fight.And all those creatures that you acumulate in your town can be thrown in that final fight(if you find all that money)while the rest will have some losses.Necromancer is a swarmer,and he wins by sheer numbers.But to master necro you have to learn in which order to pick fight so you have minimal losses(none would be best).Also,if you go for the ultimate,you wont have to return even to learn spells because youll have scholar,and support heroes can teach you all that is needed.But considering that you will cast almost nothing but raise dead until the end fight,you wont need that many spells.

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 03 Jun 2006, 11:01

well, my opinion is that it is a very narrow view of how to play Necro, and that, even if it is a decent or even great way of playing, does not mean it is the only way.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 03 Jun 2006, 13:19

Gus wrote:well, my opinion is that it is a very narrow view of how to play Necro, and that, even if it is a decent or even great way of playing, does not mean it is the only way.
In my opinion it is a very narrow view to play a necro as-if it were the same as every other race. Build-up town... stay close to home, get monsters from town instead of adventure map... it's non-imaginative, it's narrow-minded, and it's less-productive given what a necro is capable of.

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 03 Jun 2006, 13:22

Wolfshanze wrote:In my opinion it is a very narrow view to play a necro as-if it were the same as every other race. Build-up town... stay close to home, get monsters from town instead of adventure map... it's non-imaginative, it's narrow-minded, and it's less-productive given what a necro is capable of.
Where did i say you shouldn't get units from the adventure map? Where did i say you should stay close to your home town?
Once again, simple, basic logic here, that you're lacking:
you say "Necro can only be played that way" and i say "no". This doesn't mean that Necro should be played in the exact opposite way.
When you say "if you ever go back to your castle you're a bad necro player", it's ridiculous. That doesn't mean you should stay in your castle. As someone was noting, by the way, this is true for every race that if you stick to your castle, you're dead meat.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 03 Jun 2006, 13:29

I didn't say necro can "ONLY" be played in one way... obviously people who don't know how to handle a necro will play it in less-imaginative and less-effective ways.

I have said before and will say again... the way myself and DL are suggesting is the MORE/MOST effective way to play... by all means, play unimaginatevly if you want, and be less effective... you may well win, but not as easily or dominating as you could have.

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 03 Jun 2006, 13:41

Wolfshanze wrote:II have said before and will say again... the way myself and DL are suggesting is the MORE/MOST effective way to play...
yeah, you've said it an incredible amount of times actually. but you can repeat it a thousand times, it won't make it true. you can repeat "i am the king of the world" if you like, it won't crown you.
asserting with such passion and violence that you know the best way to play a faction after 3 weeks of release and virtually no MP experience is the best way to look like a fool.

Crags_Legacy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Crags_Legacy » 03 Jun 2006, 16:33

Voted inferno. Reasons:

-Slowest starters: Imp, Demons, Cerberi. Need I say more? :disagree:
-Weak tier 6 & 7: Fiends are one trick ponies, and Devils are just average. Nothing shining. Id rather make Fiends all melee and give em more movement and init.
-Gating: I like it, but i guess the trade-off was a very very weak set of creatures. Unfair :( Plus it takes some time for the skill to be useful.

imho (I actually like this race, tho B-) )

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 03 Jun 2006, 17:28

DaemianLucifer wrote:Necromancer is a swarmer,and he wins by sheer numbers.
True, that. However, that isn't the same as winning by Skeleton Archers. Or that it's the independence of your home town that's the major advantage. Necro's "thing" is simply the ability to cut losses down to almost zero, while at the same time getting creatures out of fights. And what, pray tell, do you do if you can't find that one spell you're so dependant on in your mage guild? A 50% chance of having your strategy invalidated with nothing to do about it doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Jun 2006, 18:38

Gaidal Cain wrote:True, that. However, that isn't the same as winning by Skeleton Archers. Or that it's the independence of your home town that's the major advantage. Necro's "thing" is simply the ability to cut losses down to almost zero, while at the same time getting creatures out of fights. And what, pray tell, do you do if you can't find that one spell you're so dependant on in your mage guild? A 50% chance of having your strategy invalidated with nothing to do about it doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Youre right,it isnt a good idea to have such a strategy,but it is the best strategy for necro,since his units are weaker and youd loose if youd relly just on your town troops.But,if you dont get raise dead,you can always concentrate on using slow,vulnerability,or some similar spells in order not to loose many troops.

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 04 Jun 2006, 23:04

Gaidal Cain wrote:
True, that. However, that isn't the same as winning by Skeleton Archers. Or that it's the independence of your home town that's the major advantage. Necro's "thing" is simply the ability to cut losses down to almost zero, while at the same time getting creatures out of fights. And what, pray tell, do you do if you can't find that one spell you're so dependant on in your mage guild? A 50% chance of having your strategy invalidated with nothing to do about it doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
If it matters I have to wait until I see a little bit of the spells in my guild before I decide how to play my Necro. In about 1/3 of my games it seems that I either don't get Raise Dead in my spell tower OR I'm not offered Raise Skeletal Archers / Eternal Servitude until comparatively late in the game. You always should be willing to change gears to met the current circumstances.

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 05 Jun 2006, 01:12

Alamar wrote:You always should be willing to change gears to met the current circumstances.
exactly, that's why i dislike so much the "absolute" rules of "you MUST take Summoning" and "you MUST never go back to your castle". Adapt.

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 05 Jun 2006, 05:47

While you are absolutely right in saying that there are no absolute rules of playing the game, there are, obviously, some 'smarter' ways to play. Though I wouldn't count relying solely on raise dead and skellie archers en masse one of the smarter ways, for the single reason that it will wear out the fun factor pretty fast, if for nothing else.

A simpler approach, one that I like to employ if I can, may be to summon the higher tier creatures (vampires & up) while skipping tier 2 altogether, with zombies slower than a turtle, you will not be missing much, and will be spending valuable mana on the more worthy creatures.

For the original question, I would have to say Academy.. All those good stats on Titans, Magi and Genie aren't worth a whole much if you don't have the resources to build the dwellings. It needs a very favorable map and a good plan to be effective, and in a good game nothing goes according to plan..

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 05 Jun 2006, 08:54

@DL

Yes Necropolis is a swarmer but so is Inferno and Haven. Inferno can get insane amounts of troops in a battle thanks to gating and phantom forces. Haven can train all their peasants and conscripts to archers/marksmen and that will be alot of archers/marksmen after some time even without the peasants money ability (still you need a solid economy before swarming with archers etc). They are hard to stop and even harder since you can get alot of footmen and squires too, a bit slower progress but still swarmable IMO.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 05 Jun 2006, 11:04

Sylvan 4% [ 3 ]
Now thats weird 8|

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 05 Jun 2006, 11:24

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Sylvan 4% [ 3 ]
Now thats weird 8|
You forget that general consensus is only that, general. Different people, different styles etc etc.

serguma
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby serguma » 05 Jun 2006, 11:59

Gaidal Cain wrote:
Get a hero that has a raising speciality (it has animate dead from the beggining ^^)

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 05 Jun 2006, 14:37

serguma wrote: Get a hero that has a raising speciality (it has animate dead from the beggining ^^)
It's called "Necropolis", not "Vladimiropolis"...
Last edited by Gaidal Cain on 05 Jun 2006, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Jun 2006, 14:45

Gaidal Cain wrote: It's called "Nceropolis", not "Vladimiropolis"...
Funny, but it's actualy called neither... :devil:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 05 Jun 2006, 15:16

ThunderTitan wrote:
Gaidal Cain wrote: It's called "Nceropolis", not "Vladimiropolis"...
Funny, but it's actualy called neither... :devil:
And the Grammar Police strike again!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 05 Jun 2006, 17:42

TT strikes me more like spamming than grammar police.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”