Skills you want, vs Skills you don't

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 28 May 2006, 22:18

When training Isabel, I went for the ultimate skill which requires Enlightenment. Unfortunately it didn't offer it to me and I ended up with Defense :(
I believe in science and that science can explain everything.
Because God has made it all work in such a beautiful way...

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 28 May 2006, 22:31

So far, I'm partial to:

Attack so I can get Archery

Defense for Magic Resistance

Logistics for Movement & Scouting

Light Magic

Destructive Magic for Ice Bolt & Lighting Bolt

Summoning Magic

This way your Hero is really balanced between Might & Magic. :)

But then, I've heard Sorcery is a really good skill too & I gotta try War Machines. I think for Rangers, Luck is much better than for other factions.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 28 May 2006, 22:40

Luck is just as important to a Warlock as it is the Ranger... Warlock's Luck cannot be undervalued. Getting "lucky" double-damage destructive spells is a sight to see.

Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Arzang » 28 May 2006, 23:30

is enlightenment really that crappy? I always choose it for the extra primary stats.

I'm a primary stat nerd. on the other hand; "wasting" three whole skills just for primary stats does seem a bit overboard..

but if H5 had skill teaching structures on the adventure map I can imagine that enlightenment would be a bit better.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 29 May 2006, 00:02

Arzang wrote:is enlightenment really that crappy?
In my opinion... YES!
I'm a primary stat nerd. on the other hand; "wasting" three whole skills just for primary stats does seem a bit overboard.
That's it in a nutshell... while other skills just keep giving and giving with really worthwhile abilities (three more), Enlightenment is useless other then the primary skill.

So what do you want... Enlightenment (1 nice thing) or any other skill (4 nice things).

Blue_Camel
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Blue_Camel » 29 May 2006, 00:35

enlightenment is one of those catch-22 things. yeah, you level up a good bit faster with enlightenment, but choosing enlightenment takes away some of those level-ups that could have been used for something else.. lol

edit - but if they increased the % increase in exp a whole bunch so that it's hugely significant, then suddenly it would become a very viable skill. hopefully in an upcoming patch they can do just that..

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 29 May 2006, 00:58

Another thing about Enlightenment, it's kinda pointless in the campaigns, because you reach level caps in every scenario ANYWAYS, so leveling up faster doesn't really matter, you still end up with the same level hero anyways, yet you've wasted at least four upgrades you could've had if you chose a differant skill.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 29 May 2006, 02:00

useful perhaps more in the single and multiplayer maps ...

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 29 May 2006, 03:00

stefan.urlus wrote:useful perhaps more in the single and multiplayer maps ...
Enlightenment would probably only have any value against a human player or an unrestricted-level map.

Certainly I nominate "Enlightenment" as the WORST skill to use in any campaign. It doesn't make your hero any higher in level then without it (because of level-caps) and you've mostly tossed away four skill slots that could have been used on something more useful.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 29 May 2006, 03:06

i agree that in campaigns it is less useful than many if not all other skills

i reckon luck is my favourite ... i also don't mind leadership, as for class specific skills - Hellfire is brilliant, just clicks in a lot and gives a handy boost! great for killing that extra Treant or ED

5il3nc3r
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby 5il3nc3r » 29 May 2006, 03:07

I usually take the best one IMO between the choices I get offered at the level up.

As for which skill I especially like, I like the leadership and luck skills. Logistics is pretty much a must have most of the time. As for the rest, I mostly check for the "tertiary skills" to see which ones I would find better and go for that. It usually depends on which faction I play.

§ıĿ
The pen is deadlier than the sword;
if the pen is very sharp and the sword very short.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 29 May 2006, 03:41

It usually depends on which faction I play.
thats true for me as well (sometimes anyway :) )

but i think luck and logistics are almost automatic picks, leadership is not one i would go for if i was playing necro thou!!

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 29 May 2006, 04:10

stefan.urlus wrote: but i think luck and logistics are almost automatic picks, leadership is not one i would go for if i was playing necro thou!!
Well said... Leadership is great... UNLESS YOU'RE A NECRO.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 29 May 2006, 13:51

Wolfshanze wrote:
stefan.urlus wrote:useful perhaps more in the single and multiplayer maps ...
Enlightenment would probably only have any value against a human player or an unrestricted-level map.

Certainly I nominate "Enlightenment" as the WORST skill to use in any campaign. It doesn't make your hero any higher in level then without it (because of level-caps) and you've mostly tossed away four skill slots that could have been used on something more useful.
Actually, in the necromancer campaign (or actually for any necromancer), enlightenment is great:
+1 stat point per 2 levels
Scholar is useful if you have wide-spread towns.
Lord of the Undead increases necromancy skill by 5% more (half a level of the primary skill for the class!)
Dark revelation is another free level (although this isn't needed in the campaigns
and those three abilities are the path needed to get Howl of Terror.

For other classes where the "advanced" abilities are just experience and 1 or 2 stat points, it isn't that good, I will agree.

Blue_Camel
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Blue_Camel » 29 May 2006, 21:32

i think it just needs to be beefed up in power a bit in an upcoming patch.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 30 May 2006, 21:34

Something I discovered yesterday that I found interesting-

I began the Warlock campaign, and decided I would try for the ultimate ability (I got all 5 secondary skills that I needed too, so I have a chance)

Anyway, I took Arcane Intuition (Eagle Eye in previous games) at one point, since it was the only ability offered that I needed (I use secondary skill boosts to advanced/expert only if neither ability is one I need- thus maximizing the chances of getting everything).

It turns out that you can learn spells from your own creatures! When my matrons cast spells, the hero learned them! I'm hoping to remember to check when other spells are cast to see if they are learned immediately or only after the battle (I would assume after the battle, since that's how it worked in the past, but who knows?)

Unfortunately, going for the ultimate ability prevents the learning of any magic schools in this campaign (since you start with a secondary that you don't need), so I'll probably have all the low-level spells before I can really experiment.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 30 May 2006, 21:44

Really?Well thats a nice feature.

Minmaster
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Minmaster » 30 May 2006, 23:25

i dont get why they had to divide the offer into 2 skills and 2 abilities because once you fill up on your skills, you only need to fill up abilities and only 2 offered is not enough to get the ones you want...

last night i was getting agrael on his way to his ultimate ability. but they only offered me scouting and resistance when i needed swift gating or evasion...if only i can decline the offer of leveling up....

they should make it so that once you fill up your 6 slots for skills, you should be offered 4 abilities....only 2 random choices at a time is not good enough to get the abilities that you NEED to reach the ultimate level....

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 31 May 2006, 00:14

Heh, I actually chosed Enlightenment over Luck in the Necro campaign (I'm at Necro 3 now) and my stats are around 70 now. Lucky that this campaign is a cakewalk though :)

Rapier
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Rapier » 31 May 2006, 03:14

Campaigner wrote:Heh, I actually chosed Enlightenment over Luck in the Necro campaign (I'm at Necro 3 now) and my stats are around 70 now. Lucky that this campaign is a cakewalk though :)
It's not a joke if you get one of the other heroes in it to the level cap... you get a very difficult fight out of it if you make that mistake (it took me 6 hours of reloading :P) at least on heroic. Cakewalk it was not!

As for enlightenment, best for a Necro (for Lord of the Undead, a fantastic ability) but even on other characters, + 1stat point per 2 levels, makes your stats an awful lot higher, it makes you roughly 50% better at supporting your troops than a hero of the same level without expert enlightenment.

Not quite 50% obviously, because you won't have 6 skills, but only 5, so it depends how you like to play. It isn't so bad that I would reject it out of hand though. (Although every time I've taken it I've always had to try to get the racial unique abilities off it, because the three standard sub skills are all bad).

I really like the primary skills in this game, however some of the subskills need a lot of work. For instance, Chilling Bones and Chilling Blades, are very, very, weak skills that really have no impact on the game, however they require at least advanced level of defence/offence and either protection or battle frenzy in advance.

Also, unless I need it for the ultimate ability I would never want power of speed, power of endurance or any of those other abilities, which are all worse than the more standard abilities. I would much rather have protection, evasion and vitality, than give up one of those for the ability to cast endurance at no cost. (Wasting a hero turn).

If power of speed/endurance came with a mass effect then maybe I would be interested.
~ Rapier.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”