Skills you want, vs Skills you don't

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Skills you want, vs Skills you don't

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 28 May 2006, 16:11

Just curious, with only six slots for skills (one or two of which is almost always already taken) which skills do you want, vs which skills you don't want? I'm curious to know, are there any skills you flat-out HATE? Ones you wish you never get offered? Are there skills that are MUST HAVE'S no matter who you play? I know some are more specific to hero-types then others, but overall, what's your favorite and least favorite skills? The complete list is below:

Attack
Defense
Leadership
Luck
Logistics
War Machines
Enlightenment
Sorcery
Dark Magic
Destructive Magic
Summoning Magic
Light Magic

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 28 May 2006, 16:37

I will actually take all of the skills except for Enlightenment. I just don't see that one being beneficial unless you are planning on going for the Ultimate Ability. Unfortunately, you need it with 4 of the 6 factions (Inferno & Sylvan excluded) if you want to get that.

Considering how hard it is to reach that though, I choose not to take it when offered. All the others though I will gladly take depending on which faction I'm playing.

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 28 May 2006, 16:49

If I'm playing a caster then the 2 schools of magic that come with my spell tower and Sorcery are my must haves.

I will probably NEVER turn down either Luck or Leadership whenever I play.

Almost all of the other skills are nice too. Offense, Defense, Logistics, etc.

I have tended to avoid Enlightenment but I see situations where it could be useful [Large maps that are artifact poor would make it a MUST-HAVE]. I usually avoid war machines simply because they are too easy to destroy.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 28 May 2006, 17:02

If Enlightenment worked as the decription says, then maybe it would be worth it- but it only has one ability that's halfway decent (intelligence), nad that one isn't a prerequisite for anything, so not only is the main skill kind of sucky, the secondaries also is. How Nival thought that combining the three most loathed skills on a main hero into one group would be a good idea is beyond me. They should have moved Magic Insight over from sorcery and given it Arcane Intuition instead- that had been more fair.

The other seems more or less OK, even if it's going to be hard to go with a non-associated shool unless you capture another town.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Labyrinth » 28 May 2006, 17:09

Enlightenment is not working like intended? I think it is!

And I chose it when I don't have only one slot left and the urgent need for a different skill to fill that one...
I would not choose it over any other skill, but for example over war machines.

Also, in the Warlock chapter of the campaign I could make very good use of Intelligence. You know how quickly those nasty imps can suck away your 240 mana... good to have 50% more then ;)

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 28 May 2006, 17:11

As a Warlock, I highly appreciate Offense, Dest. Magic. The rest depends on what I'm up against. I won't turn down Luck, Leadership, Logistics or Sorcery most of the time.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 28 May 2006, 18:07

Jerrie wrote:Enlightenment is not working like intended? I think it is!
It says the bonus at expert is 30%, but it's 15%. It's too little.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 28 May 2006, 18:36

I picked all and any of the skills I was already familiar with from previous Heroes games. I was a bit wary with the magic schools and enlightenment simply because I have not tried them out sufficiently yet.

I'm a bit skeptical about the war machines skill, since that was not a favourite in HoMM III either.

And from what has been said above, looks like enlightenment could do with a make over in one of the upcoming patches.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 28 May 2006, 18:41

You remember how "Eagle Eye" sucked in HIII? I guess Nival didn't want to disturb the tradition :disagree: HIII is good you know, whatever it says...
I believe in science and that science can explain everything.
Because God has made it all work in such a beautiful way...

Jimmpi
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Jimmpi » 28 May 2006, 18:46

King Imp wrote:I will actually take all of the skills except for Enlightenment. I just don't see that one being beneficial unless you are planning on going for the Ultimate Ability. Unfortunately, you need it with 4 of the 6 factions (Inferno & Sylvan excluded) if you want to get that.

Considering how hard it is to reach that though, I choose not to take it when offered. All the others though I will gladly take depending on which faction I'm playing.
one question,,,what is the "Ultimate Ability"???
Gaidal Cain wrote:

It says the bonus at expert is 30%, but it's 15%. It's too little.
is that a bug?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 May 2006, 18:46

All of the skills are nice,but nothing beats luck and leadirship.Logistics is also above others.And scholar isnt that bad for a secondary hero.

Asjo
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Asjo » 28 May 2006, 18:47

War machines, isn't that for siege as well? Then it would be quite important for big heroes of most factions, unless you play on a map with very few towns. Really, you can lose a lot of units from be slow to knock down city defences.

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 28 May 2006, 19:07

Luck and Leadership are always good to have.

Preference of Magic schools depends on your development path and faction. I would go for at least one of them under any circumstance.

Sorcery is a must have if you're training a magician. Otherwise, no use.

Attack and Defence are very nice. Depending on your development path you can leave them out though. But mostly I end up getting one of them.

Logistics is very good on a large map (and of course if it's on your development path). It never hurts but others may be better on small maps.

War machines, well I don't know 'cause I never had one. Usually I stay away since they are easy to break :) However, I believe if the map is small they can change the tides. They can be very useful at early game as well.

Enlightenment is the black sheep of all. Secondary skills are so crappy. I thought the main skill gave 10-20-30% but if that's not the case, it's so meaningless to go for it. In any case, it's almost useless on small maps. Maybe that's why they put it on the path to ultimate skills in 4 out of 6 factions. In order to balance things, you know, a trade-off like ;|
I believe in science and that science can explain everything.
Because God has made it all work in such a beautiful way...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 May 2006, 19:17

theGryphon wrote:War machines, well I don't know 'cause I never had one. Usually I stay away since they are easy to break :) However, I believe if the map is small they can change the tides. They can be very useful at early game as well.
You never had a balista that can kill 5 devils in 2 shoots?You have no idea what youre missing.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 28 May 2006, 19:21

theGryphon wrote: War machines, well I don't know 'cause I never had one. Usually I stay away since they are easy to break :) However, I believe if the map is small they can change the tides. They can be very useful at early game as well.
The abilities will replace them for you if they do break, which I think is nice. However, the campaigns are badly designed with regards to them- you won't automatically get one even if you have the appropriate skill, which kind of sucks.

Blue_Camel
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Re: Skills you want, vs Skills you don't

Unread postby Blue_Camel » 28 May 2006, 19:33

Wolfshanze wrote:Just curious, with only six slots for skills (one or two of which is almost always already taken) which skills do you want, vs which skills you don't want? I'm curious to know, are there any skills you flat-out HATE? Ones you wish you never get offered? Are there skills that are MUST HAVE'S no matter who you play? I know some are more specific to hero-types then others, but overall, what's your favorite and least favorite skills? The complete list is below:

Attack
Defense
Leadership
Luck
Logistics
War Machines
Enlightenment
Sorcery
Dark Magic
Destructive Magic
Summoning Magic
Light Magic
well the various magics are more required than an option.. i mean if you're a knight then it would probably be dumb to never take light magic.

but among the others.. I always always take luck when it's offered to my main. maybe not a scout hero, since he might not have many fights, but always a main. Even if you're not a fan of the luck subskills (or abilities.. whatever you wanna call em), using 3 of your levelups to go basic-->advanced-->expert luck real fast is the most effective 3 levelups possible. leadership is decent, but luck in h5 is clearly stronger; i dont think there can be an argument. if you had to list all the non-magic non-racial skills, i would probably list them in this order:

Luck
Logistics (logistics is always one of the best skills to have, in any HoMM game)
Attack (seems slightly stronger than defense)
Defense
Leadership
Sorcery (effectiveness depends on how good your hero is in combat, of course)
Enlightenment
War Machines

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Skills you want, vs Skills you don't

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 May 2006, 19:47

Blue_Camel wrote: Logistics (logistics is always one of the best skills to have, in any HoMM game)
Not in HIV.In there it was scouting+pathfinding :devious: :devil:

Btw,can we have a smarta55 smiley?Something like devious,but more on the smarta55 side :devious:

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 28 May 2006, 19:49

theGryphon wrote:You remember how "Eagle Eye" sucked in HIII? I guess Nival didn't want to disturb the tradition :disagree: HIII is good you know, whatever it says...
IMO its very useful, I have encountered different situations with a lack of spells and whne eagle eye would have been nice to get spells I can learn with one of my expert magic schools.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 28 May 2006, 20:50

Jimmpi wrote:
King Imp wrote:I will actually take all of the skills except for Enlightenment. I just don't see that one being beneficial unless you are planning on going for the Ultimate Ability. Unfortunately, you need it with 4 of the 6 factions (Inferno & Sylvan excluded) if you want to get that.

one question,,,what is the "Ultimate Ability"???

Every faction's heroes have one specific "super" ability that they can gain, but only through a specific combination of skills.

Here, check out this Skill Wheel and click the centermost icon for each faction. It will explain what it is and how you need to get it.

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 28 May 2006, 21:27

Expert Enlightenment also gives +1 primary skill every 2 levels, which is very helpful for Warlocks and Necromancres since it gives them extra chances to gain knowledge.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”