Cheat Codes!

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Cheat Codes!

Unread postby HodgePodge » 28 May 2006, 05:27

I want Cheat Codes! What's the big idea of not including them with the game? Just another element left out of the game like the Map Editor, Artifact Descriptions & a Creature/Faction Stat Card?

People get stuck in some of the campaign scenarios where the AI obviously outrageously cheats. And then the other campaigns are all locked if & when people get stuck & can't continue on.

UbiSoft/Nival, don't leave the creation of cheats/trainers to others. It's YOUR responsibility to make sure that people can contine playing & complete your game.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Extrakun
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Extrakun » 28 May 2006, 05:29

Hey, cheat code is a luxury item, I think. I think they really want us to enjoy the campagin the hard way. All games have cheat codes -- it is to help the developers to debug and playtest the game. But for some reasons they disable it.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 May 2006, 05:31

Well the first patch is supposed to have an Easy mode. Let's hope the AI doesn't cheat as much in that one.

But not having our own cheats is still annoying.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 28 May 2006, 05:36

Extrakun wrote:Hey, cheat code is a luxury item, I think. I think they really want us to enjoy the campagin the hard way. All games have cheat codes -- it is to help the developers to debug and playtest the game. But for some reasons they disable it.
Video/Computer games are a luxury. I don't think anyone who gets stuck & can't continue playing is ENJOYING anything. It's just frustrating and then … BORING!

If you're such a masterful player, then fine, don't use them. But for some of us, we need a way to deal with a manipulated AI that we can't defeat. Cheat codes are mandatory for games like Heroes V … especially when Nival scripted the AI to get unimaginable benefits. This isn't a good AI, it's just one that's scripted to get huge armies & levels without earning them. The playing field should be leveled for people who aren't strategic geniuses and want to continue on with the game.

Extrakun
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Extrakun » 28 May 2006, 05:39

HodgePodge wrote:
Extrakun wrote:Hey, cheat code is a luxury item, I think. I think they really want us to enjoy the campagin the hard way. All games have cheat codes -- it is to help the developers to debug and playtest the game. But for some reasons they disable it.
Video/Computer games are a luxury. I don't think anyone who gets stuck & can't continue playing is ENJOYING anything. It's just frustrating and then … BORING!

If you're such a masterful player, then fine, don't use them. But for some of us, we need a way to deal with a manipulated AI that we can't defeat. Cheat codes are mandatory for games like Heroes V … especially when Nival scripted the AI to get unimaginable benefits. This isn't a good AI, it's just one that's scripted to get huge armies & levels without earning them. The playing field should be leveled for people who aren't strategic geniuses and want to continue on with the game.
I agree with you, too. I have been wringing my hand for cheat codes when I come to Campagin 2, Scenario 3. When you don't have spare times, and one mission can take your hours, 'justifiable' application of cheats can save your day. And of all games I have been played, HoMM is always one of the most unforgiving. Forget to flag that ore mine at the beginning and is falling behind unit productions? Goodbye! Time to restart!

But cheat codes aren't viewed commonly as a 'must-have' commodity. A lot of people has overwhelming hostility for people who use them. Just ask around in the gamefaqs forums. For a lot of reasons, but one of them might be a misguided need to feel superior to others.

And AFAIK, were there any cheats for Heroes III? I recall my strategy guide for Heroes III not listing any codes. Perhaps it's a tradition for TBS games not have cheats (Disciples II and Age of Wonders doesn't seem to have either, IIRC)

Edit: I got to eat my words. I found cheat codes for all the games I have mentioned on gamefaqs.
Last edited by Extrakun on 28 May 2006, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 May 2006, 05:50

Extrakun wrote: And AFAIK, were there any cheats for Heroes III? I recall my strategy guide for Heroes III not listing any codes. Perhaps it's a tradition for TBS games not have cheats (Disciples II and Age of Wonders doesn't seem to have either, IIRC)
HoMMIII had cheats. Different ones for every expansion.

And Disciples 2 had them (all song names). And the Internet says that AoW had them too (unimaginative ones it seems).
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

HenL
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby HenL » 28 May 2006, 06:14

I can't for the life of me understand why you'd want to cheat and ruin the game :/. Oh noes! A challenge, gimme cheats!11

Anyway there will be an easy mode in the upcoming patch =).

Extrakun
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Extrakun » 28 May 2006, 06:26

HenL wrote:I can't for the life of me understand why you'd want to cheat and ruin the game :/. Oh noes! A challenge, gimme cheats!11

Anyway there will be an easy mode in the upcoming patch =).
Picture this.

It's 3am in the morning while you have been hammering at a most difficult scenario for six hours. You are tired, sleeply and you want to end this god-damned thing. The "Just one more turn" syndrome has completely taken over you. Then you make a stupid mistake. An ultra-stupid mistake. A stupid ultra-careless mistakes. And then you realise that...marshmallow! You haven't saved your game in a while (and do you know that auto-save is off by default? Perhaps because saving takes god-damn long. At least for my miserable PC)

What do you? Rewind a few hours of gameplay?

What if you have a job? An assignment to rush? What if you only get to play, say on weekends because for the rest of weekdays you got a 9 to 9 job, your boss is a slave-driver from the deepest pit of Shelogh and your girlfriend demands every free hour of your life?

That when cheat codes come in handy.

Not everyone have time to play games 7/11 anymore...sadly.

Rapier
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Rapier » 28 May 2006, 06:42

I wanted a cheatcode only once, and that was to see if my game was bugged. (I needed a map reveal to see if the heroes of the enemy were moving at all because the custom map I was playing went from being fairly challenging to having stationary targets as far as I could tell, and I wanted to watch the computer in it's turn).

Apart from that, I personally, never found a need for cheats in any heroes game. I was quite happy to wait for my exams to be over (as the game released in the middle of them :P), I play on heroic, the maps do take me many hours. the 3rd inferno campaign actually took me many days, including restarts, and not including days I didn't actually play it due to time constraints.

Cheats should be included though, for people that need to cheat (for bugs) want to cheat (for the fun of it..) heck, I'd cheat to try out the ultimate skills for the 6 classes, not in a campaign but I would want to try them so I could discuss there impact on the game and know if they were worth tailoring a hero too.

As it stands, I've had this game for 9 days, and not seen any of the ultimate abilities, I still don't know if they're game breaking, pathetic, cool, or anything else. Now there are other skills I haven't seen, I haven't played a dungeon hero yet, but it takes some effort to get to level 29/31 without cheating :P

Of course, if I had a map editor.. I could make a hero with the ultimate abilities and try it out… but that cheat code got disabled too.
~ Rapier.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 28 May 2006, 10:38

Well for whatever reasons, many people want (or even need the codes). Don't you think it was kind of arrogant of Nival to disable them? Some people do say that "cheat codes spoil the game for them" but others say that no cheat codes spoil the game for them as well". Whether someone chooses to use them is a matter of choice; but they should be available for those who need them.

We want our codes UbiSoft/Nival! It's really creepy of you to withhold them from folks who need them!

Continuity
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Continuity » 28 May 2006, 10:49

You can always download a third party cheat program if you want to cheat.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 28 May 2006, 11:40

Continuity wrote:You can always download a third party cheat program if you want to cheat.
Yeah, but as of to date, they all BLOW! Maybe there will be improved, better ones in the near future, if Nival doesn't release the in-game ones. Still, I think it is the responsibility of the Publisher/Developers to release the codes they used in testing the game (assuming they even bothered to test the game before release).

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 28 May 2006, 11:56

I'm all for cheats being released. I've hardly ever used them in any game, but they've come in useful both for the 'I can't take any more of restarting the level' scenarios and for just messing about.

In the case of HeroesV they will probably be needed for some people anyway. The problem with the campaign is that essentially the player has to try and complete the level in more or less the way the developer intended - there is a limit to the tactics you can employ to complete many of the maps. It becomes a case of playing to a point, finding out why you lost and playing again with the goal of heading off that specific threat... then playing a bit more till the next problem arises, finding out what it is and restarting to build yourself up to defeat that.

Can get a little boring guessing what specific extraordinary event the developer is going to throw at you.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 May 2006, 12:02

Who are they to tell us how to play the game?Its our money,we should do whatever we want!If someone sells you a piano,he cannot force you to take lessons to play on it.Its your piano and if you want you can smash it into pieces.If he doesnt like that,then he shouldve never sold it to you in the first place.

I cheated through a game without regular playing just in thief II.And imagine if some game gave you as much frustration as this one,but you still want to follow the story.Yes,cheats are mandatory then.The normal->hard->insane difficulties thief and thief II had were just too hard for 80% of people.We have the same thing now.There should be easier dificulties.If not,then cheats are a must.

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Labyrinth » 28 May 2006, 13:39

Gosh, people could you please be a bit less aggressive?

Why should anyone be responsible for releasing cheat codes to you anyway? Cheats are just cheats and not the game. Of course the game tells you how it's played. In each game there are rules. How can you tell the maker of the game responsible for giving you the tools to break his own game's rules?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 May 2006, 14:40

Jerrie wrote:In each game there are rules.
First rule of Heroes 5 when playing against the AI: RUSH IT! If you don't the free resources take their toll.

Frankly I hate being forced to rush the AI, and would like to be able to cheat so I can explore the map and stuff after I actualy finish the game once.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 28 May 2006, 16:42

Cheats aren't supposed to be released. They're supposed to be found - by zealous players such as yourself :-D

So if you want 'em, get cracking and test out which combinations you need to enter to get to them..
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 28 May 2006, 16:54

I have to agree with TT here because I also like to enjoy my game play and not be rushed through it because I know that on week 2, the AI will come at me with a horde of Vampire Lords or gobs of Archdevils (or some such).

Having to rush through the game doesn't allow a player to enjoy the artwork or the many other elements which Nival worked so hard to put into it for our gaming pleasure. I like to enjoy my Heroes games, not have to be so aggressive & be rushed through. That's not my style!

Not only that, but with Cheat Codes, a player can choose to use or not use them as needed for an optimal gaming experience.

Personally, I don't understand the logic behind Nival diabling the codes. The only thing that it does is make people frustrated when the AI tramples them time and time again … too early in the game.

Also, Cheat Codes will be mandatory for map testing when the Map Editor is released, so why withhold them at all?

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 28 May 2006, 16:56

If nothing else, cheats should be in the game for mapmakers to use. They also need to test stuff at times. It's really in computer games that the developers can really stop players from "cheating"- one could see one player starting without a queen in chess as cheating, but if that's the way to make the game a decent challenge for both sides, then who's to complain, if the purpose of the game is just to have some fun?
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 28 May 2006, 17:03

I like the fact that there are no cheats. I never used them anyway and apart from the Inferno mission 3, no map gave me problems on Hard difficulty (I didn't want to be masochistic on heroic ;) ). But as the new patch closes in anyone who has had problems will now get an easy mode anyway. Perhaps when the map editor is actually released, for testing purposes some cheat codes will be implemented as well. But for now you can't really ask for cheat codes because you need them for map editing, since you haven't got that option anyway :)

Return to “Heroes V-VI”